Advice on Transferring to a University - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Advice on Transferring to a University

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Phatferd » Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:25 pm

davidmarver wrote:
Zito is God wrote:Irvine is a very hard school to get into in my opinion. Also a great school. I am not in state so I don't know how heavily that matters but strictly numbers you need at least 3.7 to even be considered.

Not true. My GF got in there with her grades -- opted for Redlands though -- and my neighbor/good friend goes there...he had like a 3.65 but with unimpressive SATs and only one AP course. They aren't as selective as other UC schools like Berkeley, UCLA, UCSD, or UCSB.

You'll get accepted if you are out of state just as fine as you will in state, but that's because the school wants you to pay the sky high tuition; for that reason I don't recommend a UC school. Too bad, since Zito was a Gaucho here at UCSB for awhile. :-D

Either way, good luck. ;-D

I know a lot of people who got denied there with better quaifications than that, I think it's hit or miss sometimes. From my experience it's difficult to get into, but anything is A LOT easier to get into if you're transferring from a JC.

Check out ASU, it's about as good as a lot of your schools and it's not the most difficult. I got into the Broadcast Journalism program with just College Math (not even algebra) and I applied when I was currently taking the class. They will accept you if you're in the process of getting it.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Zito is God » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:58 pm

Thanks for all the responses, keep em' coming.

To respond to a few comments in the tyhread:

- I do plan on going to Grad School so for me the way the school looks on a resume is important.

- Michigan state prefers math credit, but it is by no means a requirement. They just claim that a 3.0 GPA, English credit and math credit are stronger considerations. I have 2/3 I guess.

- UCI may be different for everyone. In my experience it is very tough to get into.

- ASU requires math I believe. I was eyeing them for a long time before I came across that fact.

- And also, to whoever listed the important factors, my #1 factor is academics and the way it looks on a resume, my #2 would be I want a medium - big school or at least 5,000 people, and money really is not a factor. My parents actually do not have much money, but I figuire with my future career I can afford to get a bunch f loans anyway.

- On the off chance that I do not get accepted into any of those (excluding safeties) I amy look at University of Tennesse as well. Tuition for out of state is reasonable, ranked pretty high as well. I just have no idea how I would actually move to the dorms considering I have no way of getting to the school :).

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Phatferd » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:43 pm

Are you expecting to get into a school and not have to take math? You're going to have to take math to graduate so why don't you just sign up for college math (it's cake, trust me...my school it was called math for the liberal arts) and take it this semester. If you are in the process of taking it they will accept you on the basis you complete it which you should have no problem with.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby davidmarver » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:59 pm

Phatferd wrote:I know a lot of people who got denied there with better quaifications than that, I think it's hit or miss sometimes.

I think it differs from year to year; in '05 I got sent an acceptance letter from UCI, UC Riverside, UC Merced, and UC Davis even though I didn't apply to those UC schools. (I applied to Berkeley, UCLA, UCSB, and UCSD). Maybe they're just weak in my field -- math and physics -- and were handing out acceptance letters to the applicants of other UC schools, who knows. I really don't know too much about UCI's program other than it's science programs don't compare to the United States Most Nobel Prized School, UCSB. :-D Of my two good friends that go to UCI, one is a philosophy major and the other in undeclared. One of them is asian.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Zito is God » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:00 pm

It's not that I am bad at math or anything, actually have a nack for it. I can't take math before I teransfer, it is a very long and complicated story as to why so I won't bother explaining it, but I absolutely cannot take a math class until I transfer.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby IllinoisBandit » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:12 am

Most of my friends from high school go to the University of Tennessee and love it, so thumbs up from me on that school.

I usually discourage people from going to law school. There's a lot more struggling lawyers out there than you may think. But if it's what you want to do, go for it; that's the most important thing.
IllinoisBandit
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:59 pm

IllinoisBandit wrote:Piece of advice... picking a school based on how it looks on a resume isn't a good idea. Truth is, unless it's Ivy League it really doesn't matter. Pick the school you'll enjoy the most and build connections through it.

In fact, picking a school based on the lowest cost to you (outside of community college) is really the best way to go.

The name of the school really only matters if you're going to get your masters or PhD.

I was thinking along those lines as well.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Previous

Return to General Talk