Advice on Transferring to a University - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Advice on Transferring to a University

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Zito is God » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:18 pm

I hear that Michigan State is a cake school to get into, especially as a transfer, although it is ranked highly in the national rankings. Any truth in this?

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby roninmedia » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:37 pm

I think that is true with a lot of schools. UC Irvine is very highly touted as a top 10 public university, but I can honestly say I know total idiots who got into the university as a state resident out of high school.
roninmedia
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Zito is God » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:45 pm

Irvine is a very hard school to get into in my opinion. Also a great school. I am not in state so I don't know how heavily that matters but strictly numbers you need at least 3.7 to even be considered.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby davidmarver » Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:39 pm

Zito is God wrote:Irvine is a very hard school to get into in my opinion. Also a great school. I am not in state so I don't know how heavily that matters but strictly numbers you need at least 3.7 to even be considered.

Not true. My GF got in there with her grades -- opted for Redlands though -- and my neighbor/good friend goes there...he had like a 3.65 but with unimpressive SATs and only one AP course. They aren't as selective as other UC schools like Berkeley, UCLA, UCSD, or UCSB.

You'll get accepted if you are out of state just as fine as you will in state, but that's because the school wants you to pay the sky high tuition; for that reason I don't recommend a UC school. Too bad, since Zito was a Gaucho here at UCSB for awhile. :-D

Either way, good luck. ;-D
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby IllinoisBandit » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:53 am

Piece of advice... picking a school based on how it looks on a resume isn't a good idea. Truth is, unless it's Ivy League it really doesn't matter. Pick the school you'll enjoy the most and build connections through it.

In fact, picking a school based on the lowest cost to you (outside of community college) is really the best way to go.

The name of the school really only matters if you're going to get your masters or PhD.
IllinoisBandit
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby shpuck » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:57 am

I'm with David Marver on this one. I believe it's a bit easier to get into universities as a transfer (although it's possible all of your units may not transfer) than it is as an incoming freshman.

Here at UCSB, the freshman influx is huge, but the transfer is usually much smaller. Heck, most students spend time at SB City College before transferring to UCSB.

So don't sell yourself short, and research the universities to work for you and which will get you the best opportunity to get into the job market, as well as having the sort of experience you'd like to have in college.

I would recommend going away from home if you can, nothing like being on your own to really grow into adulthood (for most of us).

Having said that, I do have a buddy who went to
Santa Clara for Law (he's still trying to pass his bar exam), so if you want to be put in touch with him, send me a PM.
shpuck
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby IllinoisBandit » Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:04 am

Okay, read your original post a little closer. Here's what you want to do. Ask around and find out which school is EASIEST. Pre-law is ALL about GPA, determination, and connections. Go somewhere where you can 4.0. A lot of people get into decent law schools from apparently less-than-stellar undergraduate work. Like preMED you need to do one thing and one thing only - ACE EVERY CLASS YOU CAN.
IllinoisBandit
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby pokerplaya » Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:18 am

Jumping ahead a bit (as I don't have anything to really add to the transfer question) but getting into law school is about a variety of things, GPA, reccomendations, but far and away the most important think is the LSATS. So while your undergraduate work and where you go to school and how you do is important, if you somehow manage to score a 170 on the LSAT, you'll pretty much have your pick of any law school.

My advice on undergrad...make a list of what is most important to you...repuation, location, cost, etc. and then decide from that what school fits you best. Best of luck.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:36 pm

Zito is God wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:
Zito is God wrote:
Loyola Marymount

Don't see me getting in there. Nice school though.

Well, you're also considering USD and Santa Clara. They're about on par with LMU and it's not extremely hard to get into. I knew a couple of folks back in college who got in with a 1060 SAT, even though this was about six years ago.

Well, I will not be submitting my SAT or ACT because of the amount of credits I have. However it is not the GPA that worries me, it is the course curriculm since I do not have a math and will not have Chem complete by the time I apply (will be enrolled however).

Not sure about the transfer requirements because I went to LMU for four years, with one year abroad, but I think all you need is Business Math I and or II or Calculus I.

Yes, UCI isn't as hard to be admitted into. I got in with a 3.4 GPA and had only taken 3 AP courses. When I applied six years ago, I knew that UCLA, Berkeley, and UCSD were extremely selective and you had to be gangbusters all around practically to be accepted. From what I heard back then, UCSB was surprisingly selective too. I believe UC will be just as expensive for you as LMU will be, considering that you're an "out-of-stater".

As for law school, my ex had gotten into Southwestern Law and her undergraduate work was just decent.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 451)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:29 pm

i know sometimes not all of your credits will transfer for whatever reason, so you may end up having to take some classes over, or sometimes be able to use them as misc credits

as far as Michigan State, i dont know how good their Law program is, but they are one of the top party schools...probably becasue of that crappy football team
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk