Advice on Transferring to a University - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Advice on Transferring to a University

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Advice on Transferring to a University

Postby Zito is God » Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:42 pm

So I have a semester to pick a school I want to transfer to, and I need help. There really is no site that matches you based on TRANSFER criteria, most match based on high school (princetonReview, US News, College board, etc.) so I can't use any of those.

Bottom line is this:

I will have 31 credits official, and another 13 in progress at time of applying.

I will have a 3.2-3.5 GPA at time of application.

I will have all english, behavioral and social sciences and history completed. I will have chemistry in progress and I will not have any math credits.

The schools I am looking at right now are:

Reach: UW-Madison, University of Minnesota, Marquette, University of San Diego, University of the Pacific.

Match: University of San Francisco, Loyola University (Chicago), Elmhurst College,.

Safety: North Central University, Bradley University.

Random Schools I may apply to based on geographical preference: Santa Clara University, Azusa (CA).

basically, as you can see I am aiming at Wisconsin, Illinois, or California. However I am looking to get into the best school possible (The one that will look best on an resume) so I am willing to consider other states assuming they are academically ranked highly. I have thought of Michigan State and University of Tennesse, but I have never even been to those states and have no idea how I would actually move there.

Anyways, what other schools would you reccommend, and what other advice do you have?

(I am looking at PreLaw Studies and am planning on Law School. I am looking to major in political science or Buisness to get there.)

Thanks in advance.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby davidmarver » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:02 pm

Is the Azusa School you mention Azusa Pacific? I thought that was a Christian school with a weird credits system. I'm not sure how well your credits would transfer there.

My girlfriend also has a law and business focus; she goes to the University of Redlands in Redlands, CA near San Bernadino, about a half hour to fourty-five minutes from Azusa. It's a private school, high school sized, and has a separate college of creative studies school within it if you were interested in that.

Her high school GPA was around 3.60 and I think she got a high 1100s to low 1200s SAT (this was when it was out of 1600) and she recieved a scholarship due to cheer/color guard.

Otherwise, I recommend UCSB, but we're more science oriented than anything. ;-D
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:11 pm

Loyola Marymount, my alma mater, has a fine pre-law and business program, although it's no sureshot that you'll advance to Loyola Law School, but I figure that once you're an LMU grad, you should be in good standing to head to LLS. Just my two cents though. I also see you've got Loyola Chicago, USD, and Santa Clara on your mind too.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 672)

Postby acsguitar » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:17 pm

You should go to College of Charleston
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Zito is God » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:41 pm

davidmarver wrote:Is the Azusa School you mention Azusa Pacific? I thought that was a Christian school with a weird credits system. I'm not sure how well your credits would transfer there.

My girlfriend also has a law and business focus; she goes to the University of Redlands in Redlands, CA near San Bernadino, about a half hour to fourty-five minutes from Azusa. It's a private school, high school sized, and has a separate college of creative studies school within it if you were interested in that.

Her high school GPA was around 3.60 and I think she got a high 1100s to low 1200s SAT (this was when it was out of 1600) and she recieved a scholarship due to cheer/color guard.

Otherwise, I recommend UCSB, but we're more science oriented than anything. ;-D

Redlands would be a reach for me, but it actually looks like a good option. I would never in my life get into UCSB, I can only dream.

Loyola Marymount

Don't see me getting in there. Nice school though.

You should go to College of Charleston

Actually a good school, and looking at admissions it seems like I would have a decent shot at getting in (although I think that whole me needing better grades because I'm not a resident of the state is BS) but south carolina uis so far away from everything. I've never even been to that part of the country. I will consider that though because of academics (although I have no idea how I would actually get there if I got accepted).

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:48 pm

Zito is God wrote:
Loyola Marymount

Well, you're also considering USD and Santa Clara. They're about on par with LMU and it's not extremely hard to get into. I knew a couple of folks back in college who got in with a 1060 SAT, even though this was about six years ago.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 672)

Postby AcidRock23 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:55 pm

I've only heard great things about UWM although I went to U of I and still live in Champaign.

Is "North Central University" in Naperville?
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby Zito is God » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:22 pm

AcidRock23 wrote:I've only heard great things about UWM although I went to U of I and still live in Champaign.

North Central is in Naperville. I'm from that area so it would be nice to go there since I know it rather well. Mediocre school though, I am 99% sure I will get in there so it's quite a safety for me.

Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Zito is God » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:24 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
Zito is God wrote:
Loyola Marymount

Well, you're also considering USD and Santa Clara. They're about on par with LMU and it's not extremely hard to get into. I knew a couple of folks back in college who got in with a 1060 SAT, even though this was about six years ago.

Well, I will not be submitting my SAT or ACT because of the amount of credits I have. However it is not the GPA that worries me, it is the course curriculm since I do not have a math and will not have Chem complete by the time I apply (will be enrolled however).

Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Postby AcidRock23 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:28 pm

Zito is God wrote:
AcidRock23 wrote:I've only heard great things about UWM although I went to U of I and still live in Champaign.

North Central is in Naperville. I'm from that area so it would be nice to go there since I know it rather well. Mediocre school though, I am 99% sure I will get in there so it's quite a safety for me.

my family moved there in 1974, when it was maybe 30,000 people. I hadn't noticed that it got promoted from 'College' to 'University' though...when I was in junior high, the downtown was pretty much a wasteland, w/ a grungy bowling alley for video games where Barnes and Noble and the parking garage is now. The development in the area has been SICK...or good, if you are in real estate. It's Sox country, that's for sure... ;-D
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Next

Return to General Talk