Quick Jon Lester review...... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Quick Jon Lester review......

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Webster11 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:33 pm

Red Sox Nation wrote:
WhosBabeRuth wrote:He has shown flashes of brilliance and within the next few years I expect a solid # 2 starter. All in all, this year he gives the sox a chance to win most of the time he pitches. Regardless, A lefty who has the ability to hit 95 on the gun? I gotta get excited about that...[/i]

I highly doubt he can be a #2. When Schilling is gone and we're assuming Beckett/Papelbon/Lester/Hansen stay and Papelbon joins the rotation, Lester would most likely start 3rd. IMO, he's a projected #3 or even #4 (4 cuz he's a lefty) starter.

thedude wrote:Lester isn't ready for the the majors. You can see his incostistancy from inning to inning. He should be in AAA refining his control, but the red sox injuries have prevented that.

Lester can hit 94-96 (when needed) on his 4 seam fastball. however he ussally throws a 2 seam fastball or a cut fastball which is why the velocity in is in the low 90s most of the time.

Lester is actually a higher regarded prospect than his teammate, Paplebon (who is 3.5 years his serior).

The Red Sox hope that Paplebon and Lester will be the coaces of the 2008 Red Sox.

He has not been great this year, but he is far from a finished product.

To my knowledge, Lester started the season in AA-Portland. I don't think he's reached AAA but you might be right.

Of course. If it weren't for all the injuries, Lester wouldn't have been called up in the first place. Papelbon is actually more ready and as for Hansen, he's supposed to be the best of them all but he has really struggled this year. How about Beckett? Didn't he get a deal until 2009?...

BobbyRoberto wrote:Lester is a guy you should have sold high on a few starts ago, if you're still in the hunt for ERA and WHIP. Today, he had another bad outing, except for the win. He gives up way too many baserunners to keep that ERA down. Pitching for Boston, he can still give you wins, but he'll hurt you down the stretch in other areas.

Thus why in a standard league (with an expected 6-7 starters [I have 6-7 starters meaning no benched hitters]), he will only be #5 or #6.

When someone says a future #2 pitcher they normally mean in general he would be considered a #2 pitcher, not just for the specific team they play on they will be considered a #2 pitcher.

Also Lester is actually regarded as the best of the bunch according to most prospect websites, including BA (they have Lester 1, Papelbon 2, and Hansen 3)

In a yearly league a few weeks ago was definetely the time to sell high since most rookie pitchers generally struggle, with Liriano, Verlander, Papelbon, Weaver, this year was an exception. In a keeper league though judging by some of the comments now would actually be a good time to buy low on Lester
Webster11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby teddy ballgame » Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:33 pm

Lester had another ugly start again today. His call up was expedited by injuries, but he was called up to AAA and was only throwing 40 pitches per start because they had plans for him to join the major league roster in the 2nd half anyways.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Red Sox Nation » Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:14 pm

Webster11 wrote:
Red Sox Nation wrote:
WhosBabeRuth wrote:He has shown flashes of brilliance and within the next few years I expect a solid # 2 starter. All in all, this year he gives the sox a chance to win most of the time he pitches. Regardless, A lefty who has the ability to hit 95 on the gun? I gotta get excited about that...[/i]

I highly doubt he can be a #2. When Schilling is gone and we're assuming Beckett/Papelbon/Lester/Hansen stay and Papelbon joins the rotation, Lester would most likely start 3rd. IMO, he's a projected #3 or even #4 (4 cuz he's a lefty) starter.

thedude wrote:Lester isn't ready for the the majors. You can see his incostistancy from inning to inning. He should be in AAA refining his control, but the red sox injuries have prevented that.

Lester can hit 94-96 (when needed) on his 4 seam fastball. however he ussally throws a 2 seam fastball or a cut fastball which is why the velocity in is in the low 90s most of the time.

Lester is actually a higher regarded prospect than his teammate, Paplebon (who is 3.5 years his serior).

The Red Sox hope that Paplebon and Lester will be the coaces of the 2008 Red Sox.

He has not been great this year, but he is far from a finished product.

To my knowledge, Lester started the season in AA-Portland. I don't think he's reached AAA but you might be right.

Of course. If it weren't for all the injuries, Lester wouldn't have been called up in the first place. Papelbon is actually more ready and as for Hansen, he's supposed to be the best of them all but he has really struggled this year. How about Beckett? Didn't he get a deal until 2009?...

BobbyRoberto wrote:Lester is a guy you should have sold high on a few starts ago, if you're still in the hunt for ERA and WHIP. Today, he had another bad outing, except for the win. He gives up way too many baserunners to keep that ERA down. Pitching for Boston, he can still give you wins, but he'll hurt you down the stretch in other areas.

Thus why in a standard league (with an expected 6-7 starters [I have 6-7 starters meaning no benched hitters]), he will only be #5 or #6.

When someone says a future #2 pitcher they normally mean in general he would be considered a #2 pitcher, not just for the specific team they play on they will be considered a #2 pitcher.

Also Lester is actually regarded as the best of the bunch according to most prospect websites, including BA (they have Lester 1, Papelbon 2, and Hansen 3)

In a yearly league a few weeks ago was definetely the time to sell high since most rookie pitchers generally struggle, with Liriano, Verlander, Papelbon, Weaver, this year was an exception. In a keeper league though judging by some of the comments now would actually be a good time to buy low on Lester

You may be right but, IMO, Lester is still behind Papelbon as a starter. And Hansen really needs to kick it up another notch cuz there is no way he can close with that ERA.
[url=http://omgitspeter.googlepages.com/home]My Graphics[/url]

Red Sox Nation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby winterball22 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:58 pm

It's not fair to compare Papelbon and Lester. The age gab is a huge factor Lester born in 84 and Pap in 80. Alot of so called experts are still saying Lester has more upside then Papelbon, I guess we will know when Lester hits 25 yrs, as Pap is now.
winterball22
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers