Has Oaklands chance to win the division become a reality ? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Has Oaklands chance to win the division become a reality ?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby SlightlyStoopid » Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:49 pm

At least the A's have been there to choke. And probably will this year too. Unless the offense gets hot they are going to be another first round and out.
SlightlyStoopid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby teddy ballgame » Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:50 pm

bdrotoronto wrote:
teddy ballgame wrote:Why wouldn't they have a real shot? All 4 teams have had a real shot for about a month. :-?

When a team is in first place in mid-August, I usually consider them to have a shot.

I'm agreeing that they have a shot. All 4 teams have legitimate shots.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Has Oaklands chance to win the division become a reality

Postby michaelp » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:15 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
Madison wrote:
michaelp wrote:Has Oakland established itself as an elite team in the American League West ?

Elite? No. Are they playing well? Yes, they are playing pretty well, but it's also a combination of everyone else playing badly. Saw on the game two days ago that the A's are dead last in batting average, and well towards the bottom of runs scored. In fact, I made a post a couple of days ago that showed their runs scored was exactly the same as their runs allowed.

So are the A's an elite team? Definitely not. Are they playing well and in a good spot to win the division? Yes. Which is not something I want to say since I'm a Ranger fan. :,-(

;-D Not to mention the A's usually choke at the earliest September and in October if they're lucky to make it far. :-b But this year, all 4 teams are practically still in reach of making a run at the pennant though. Just like the NL West.

The A's have been choking down the stretch, Oakland's other name is Chokeland. That's in the past though, Going out and acquiring clutch hitters will change things around(Thomas, Bradley). Those players will have an effect on winning ballgames. Bradley hitt a 3 run homerun off of Ryan. He might of been lucky with the fastball but BJ Ryan is a solid Closer.
Frank Thomas is a patient hitter with a high On base percentage of .381 and has raised his batting average 21 points since the All star break, and with a .523 slugging % he has shown he still has power.

Bottomline is the A's dont play like the old A's, they steal more, they play small ball more.

Yea the stats say the A's dont look good on paper but dont forget, Bradley, Harden have been Absent. If Oakland can stay healthy and have they players in the lineup and rotation everyday. The team will be better in time.
michaelp
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Half Massed » Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:16 am

Well despite the loss today, the A's have been clicking recently. Swisher has recovered to full health and is starting to hit again, Thomas is on a roll, Bradley has been hot since his return, the A's bullpen is top notch and the starting rotation is very good. Who knows? The A's are no offensive powerhouses even if everybody is healthy. They win with pitching and defense and both are working right now.

I'd give the nod to the A's over the Rangers and Angels right now, but it's no sure bet. They probably will not go too far in the playoffs unless Harden, Crosby and Chavvy reach full health and perform like preseason expectations.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby RynMan » Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:34 pm

Madison wrote:Saw on the game two days ago that the A's are dead last in batting average, and well towards the bottom of runs scored.

This is definitely not a shot at you Mad, but I love how when game announcers are pointing out how horrible the A's offense is, they go straight to announcing "lowest batting average in the league". Runs is the best indication, why point out batting average? I'd go on to note the team's OPS and OBP before average. Why is baseball stuck in this rutt? I guess for the same reason they point at a pitcher's win/loss record before their ERA. It's just laziness and ignorance.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Madison » Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:52 am

RynMan wrote:
Madison wrote:Saw on the game two days ago that the A's are dead last in batting average, and well towards the bottom of runs scored.

This is definitely not a shot at you Mad, but I love how when game announcers are pointing out how horrible the A's offense is, they go straight to announcing "lowest batting average in the league". Runs is the best indication, why point out batting average? I'd go on to note the team's OPS and OBP before average. Why is baseball stuck in this rutt? I guess for the same reason they point at a pitcher's win/loss record before their ERA. It's just laziness and ignorance.

Oh I agree, so no worries there, just thought it was an interesting stat, and I forgot to mention a detail. They said the A's have the lowest batting average in the majors. Not just the league, the entire majors. 8-o They are 26th out of 30 in OBP, which isn't a whole lot better (just checked both stats, and they are accurate). Just one of those things you hear, doublecheck to make sure it's true, and then kinda go "wow" and start spot starting guys against the A's for the ERA/WHIP help. :-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby RynMan » Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:33 am

Madison wrote:Oh I agree, so no worries there, just thought it was an interesting stat, and I forgot to mention a detail. They said the A's have the lowest batting average in the majors. Not just the league, the entire majors. 8-o They are 26th out of 30 in OBP, which isn't a whole lot better (just checked both stats, and they are accurate). Just one of those things you hear, doublecheck to make sure it's true, and then kinda go "wow" and start spot starting guys against the A's for the ERA/WHIP help. :-D

:,-(
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers