Snakes On A Plane--MERGED - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Snakes On A Plane--MERGED

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:20 am

On Mike & Mike this morning they had news of the weird where, in Arizona, someone let 2 live rattlesnakes loose during the movie, Snakes On A Plane. For the life of me, I can't find the story. I think this story would deserve its own thread, if someone can find it.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Coppermine » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:17 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:On Mike & Mike this morning they had news of the weird where, in Arizona, someone let 2 live rattlesnakes loose during the movie, Snakes On A Plane. For the life of me, I can't find the story. I think this story would deserve its own thread, if someone can find it.

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... 92#1870192

;-D
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:35 am

Coppermine wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:On Mike & Mike this morning they had news of the weird where, in Arizona, someone let 2 live rattlesnakes loose during the movie, Snakes On A Plane. For the life of me, I can't find the story. I think this story would deserve its own thread, if someone can find it.

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... 92#1870192

;-D

And let the merging continue!
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby CubsFan7724 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:14 am

Madison wrote:
Coppermine wrote:Well, I think the film will achieve a cult status... a bad movie, not very accessible to the general public but with a significant fan base.

Not accessible? Was there a theater that didn't have it? 8-o

Where was that fan base on opening weekend?

Stealing the movie on the internet. Remember, the fanbase consists mostly of internet nerds such as the members of LUELinks, Something Awful, Fark, YTMND, etc. These people don't pay money for anything if its available as a torrent on the internet. I would have expected some sort of moral obligation to attend this movie, but nothing is sacred to LUE.

I'd rather see a movie that is intentionally terrible and off the wall for comedic purposes like SOAP instead of a movie that was unintentionally terrible like Deep Blue Sea. Madison, you're too old to understand the appeal of the movie. I can see you shakingly your fist curmodgenly at the movie "WHERES THE PLOT." Like I said, its a popcorn flick. It isn't Schindlers List or Citizen Kane.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:26 am

CubsFan7724 wrote: I can see you shakingly your fist curmodgenly at the movie "WHERES THE PLOT."

oh man thats funny of course you be eliminated for that comment but still funny
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Coppermine » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:31 am

CubsFan7724 wrote:
Madison wrote:
Coppermine wrote:Well, I think the film will achieve a cult status... a bad movie, not very accessible to the general public but with a significant fan base.

Stealing the movie on the internet. Remember, the fanbase consists mostly of internet nerds such as the members of LUELinks, Something Awful, Fark, YTMND, etc. These people don't pay money for anything if its available as a torrent on the internet. I would have expected some sort of moral obligation to attend this movie, but nothing is sacred to LUE.

I'd rather see a movie that is intentionally terrible and off the wall for comedic purposes like SOAP instead of a movie that was unintentionally terrible like Deep Blue Sea. Madison, you're too old to understand the appeal of the movie. I can see you shakingly your fist curmodgenly at the movie "WHERES THE PLOT." Like I said, its a popcorn flick. It isn't Schindlers List or Citizen Kane.

Ironically too, I love great movies... I think Citizen Kane is fantastic, even though many complain that it's storytelling is not "accessible" to our generation. Lawrence of Arabia, On the Waterfront, Chinatown, Cuckoo's Nest and just about anything by Hitchcock (though I'm partial to Rear Window myself and was not thoroughly impressed with Vertigo) are definitive. I also love foreign films as well, my favorite being the Danish film Character. I'm one of the few people who saw 2001: A Space Odyssey and actually enjoyed it. And I think Dr. Strangelove is the greatest parody in the history of film.

It took me a while to realize that bad movies have their merits, despite their badness, rather than because of it. For example...

About a year ago I watched a movie called "Cellular." This schlockey film demanded that you suspend your disbelief to the point of insanity. It was like a cross between a WB teen drama and The Transporter (complete with Jason Statham randomly jump-kicking people). It was horrible and I almost switched the thing off... but something occurred to me toward the end. I thought o myself "This movie doesn't take itself seriously." Something clicked, and all of my pent up anger at wasting my life with this garbage film melted away to the realization that whoever directed this film is was not intending to do anything serious but rather simply entertain. It was so ridiculous that unbelievable plot holes and horrible acting actually made it enjoyable.

By the way, the director of "Cellular" was the same guy who directed "SoaP." So now I get it.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby CubsFan7724 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:37 am

My favorite non-snake part of disbelief is when the Japanese gangster guy is practicing kung fu or some other crap, and talking with his like advisor, and the advisor is like "Are you sure you want to do this" and the mafia boss is like "DONT YOU THINK IVE TRIED EVERY OTHER OPTION". You'd think if you could smuggle hundreds of snakes onto a plane, you could smuggle a bomb on instead, right? :-b
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:53 am

CubsFan7724 wrote:
Madison wrote:

I agree about the "moral obligation". I would have thought supporters of this would want to see it do well in the box office, not be the laughing stock joke it's turned out to be. Works for me though, as I would have loved to see it lose money in the box office. It won't, but that would have been the perfect scenario for me.

Believe it or not, I do see what they were attempting to do. I thought The Dukes of Hazzard was basically the same thing. Something stupid and cheesy, and meant to be that way. However, Dukes did not reach the extreme of worthlessness that Snakes reached, and that's the difference to me. I don't mind a stupid and cheesy movie here and there, just look at the Scary Movie series. Intentionally stupid and cheesy, and I've seen them all, and even had a good laugh here and there. Snakes just has nothing to offer. They don't even attempt to offer anything other than a profanity laced line, yet people still got hyped up about this movie. Why? So far, everyone has said something to the effect of wanting to see it because it's supposed to be dumb. Throwing money away because it's intentionally dumb? Doesn't make any sense. That's like drafting a minor league player in the first round of your fantasy league because you think his sideburns are stupidly funny. They will wind up with zero fantasy stats for this guy, they know that, yet he's awesome because of the stupid sideburns ;-7 . The movie at least has to offer something other than 1 exceptionally stupid line in order for me to even consider seeing it.

As Sixxgunn on the football side said:

Sixxgunn wrote:the gene pool really needs some chlorine....

;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:13 pm

Madison wrote:I thought The Dukes of Hazzard was basically the same thing. Something stupid and cheesy, and meant to be that way. However, Dukes did not reach the extreme of worthlessness that Snakes reached, and that's the difference to me.

I was actually pissed off after watching the Dukes movie. Just plain pissed. Probably because I am a fan of the original series and they didn't even attempt to make the movie similar.... :-[
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Coppermine » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:22 pm

The Samuel L. Jackson horror flick Snakes on a Plane took in $15.3 million at the box office in its first few days of release. In the film, a drug dealer smuggles 300 snakes onto a plane that's carrying a man who plans to testify against him. What's the proper way to transport a snake on a plane?

In a box, with warning labels. According to the International Air Transport Association's Live Animals Regulations (which have been adopted by the United States), snakes should first be wrapped in a cloth sack—if you've got a plain old garden snake, a pillowcase will do. That sack should then be tied off and placed inside a sturdy container that's easy to open and close with ventilation holes small enough to prevent the critter from escaping. There also must be enough room inside for the snake to lie down naturally. The box should be labeled "LIVE ANIMAL." Venomous snakes get a special tag that includes the reptile's scientific name and a pictorial warning label.

Venomous snakes should, if possible, be packed in rigid plastic containers, so inspectors can look inside without opening the package. You can sometimes put more than one nonvenomous snake in the same container, depending on their sizes and habits. Any snake longer than 120 centimeters needs its own bag. Same goes for cannibalistic snakes like the black-headed python and the mussurana.
Click Here!

The container should also be climate-controlled. The body temperatures of snakes and other cold-blooded animals fluctuate with ambient temperatures, so containers shouldn't get hotter than 85 degrees or colder than 45 degrees. Packaging might include heat or cold packs to maintain a moderate temperature. (Many airlines refuse to ship animals during extreme weather conditions.)

Many airlines allow dogs and cats as carry-on luggage for a fee, as long as you store them in a pet carrier. Snakes, though, aren't allowed in the cabin. You can send your slithery friend either by cargo plane or in the luggage compartment of a passenger jet. Airlines store the box in a pressurized, temperature-controlled area of the plane.

The cost of shipping an animal depends on the size, manner of transport, and distance traveled. According to Global Animal Transport, the cost of shipping a small snake via airplane starts around $250 for air freight alone, plus any pickup and handling fees.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk