where is figgins? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

where is figgins?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby StudentOfTheGame » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:48 pm

The Loveable Losers wrote:
Drunken Rhino wrote:I believe him too when it comes to Angels players. I just refuse to call a guy who has hit .227 not in a slump, I don't care if he's nearly tearing off guys heads w/ line drives and guys are only catching the ball in self protection. It's a slump.

Not trying to attack johnsamo, just calling Figgins lack of fantasy production like I see it.

Depends on what you call a slump. If you call a slump a 'lack of fantasy production' then yep, Figgins is in a slump. However, if you only call it a slump if the hitter is having poor at bats then it sounds like Figgins isn't slumping - he's just been unlucky.

Frankly, it's been that kind of year for Figgins...However, I still blame the hitter when he is making outs even if he is hitting the ball right at people....Hit the ball harder and maybe the ball will get by the infielder or sail over the outfielders head. Lay a bunt down....Just get on base Figgins!
StudentOfTheGame
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dave8603 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:08 pm

He started the other day against a lefty and went 2-4 I think. Does this mean he's getting back into things or was he just started because he was a good matchup against Lee? Is it time to drop Figgins in a 9 person league? Any new information on if he's worth keeping for the rest of the season?
Dave8603
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 6)

Postby Dave8603 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:26 pm

any ideas?
Dave8603
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 6)

Postby StudentOfTheGame » Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:49 pm

Dave8603 wrote:He started the other day against a lefty and went 2-4 I think. Does this mean he's getting back into things or was he just started because he was a good matchup against Lee? Is it time to drop Figgins in a 9 person league? Any new information on if he's worth keeping for the rest of the season?

You don't drop a guy who has 40 + steals who is eligible to play 3 possitions....I don't care what league you're in....So far today he is 2-3 with 2 runs scored and a SB...Hold on to him.
StudentOfTheGame
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby johnsamo » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:43 pm

I've missed 2 Angels game this year so I've got a pretty good take on them. The first half of the year he was slumping for real, a bit before the all star break though, he's been hitting it solid fairly consistently. The hitting also coincided with him playing CF more consistently. He was really sucking defensively at 3b during the hitting slump but as soon as he went to center more often than not, he started hitting. So maybe his defensive flubs affected his hitting or vice versa, who knows... Almost everybody has a few bad slumps at some point in their career.

The last few weeks though, he's had more than his share of hard liners that JUST got snagged by reaching infielders, and I remember Gary Mathews Jr. in particular twice taking away what I thought were easy doubles when the ball left the bat. There's maybe three centerfielders in the league who could've caught those and he just happened to be playing the Rangers on those.

It's like that scene in Bull Durham, one extra quork, or bloop hit a week and you're in Yankee stadium...

It's when the k rate jumps way up or they start popping up a lot more or hitting a lot of easy grounders, those are the tells that a guy is really slumping.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby johnsamo » Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:50 pm

update on where is Figgy... Figgy is batting leadoff for the Angels and has had a great week, not even including today's: 3/4... a homer, 2 runs, 1 sb and a walk. There's no slump sign in those #s.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Richie Rich » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:49 pm

i have been offered bill hall and francisco cordero for him and after this series against my yankees am second guessing if i shud pull the trigger...
C:Sandoval 1B:Teixeira 2B:Ramirez 3B:Huff SS:Rollins OF:Crawford OF:Markakis OF:Kemp U:Holliday U:Morneau B: Werth DL: Lowell
SP Billingsley Shields Verlander Lackey Romero Hughes
RP Cordero Bell Bailey Francisco
DL Dempster
Richie Rich
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Ursa » Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:18 am

johnsamo wrote:update on where is Figgy... Figgy is batting leadoff for the Angels and has had a great week, not even including today's: 3/4... a homer, 2 runs, 1 sb and a walk. There's no slump sign in those #s.

Yes indeed. I won SB in my H2H days ago so I've been sitting Figgy to build RBIs and HRs. Today I put him back in the lineup because I needed Rs and lo! he hits his first homer for months.

Good on yer, Figgy! ;-D
Ursa
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 24)

Postby Richie Rich » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:25 am

Ursa wrote:
johnsamo wrote:update on where is Figgy... Figgy is batting leadoff for the Angels and has had a great week, not even including today's: 3/4... a homer, 2 runs, 1 sb and a walk. There's no slump sign in those #s.

Yes indeed. I won SB in my H2H days ago so I've been sitting Figgy to build RBIs and HRs. Today I put him back in the lineup because I needed Rs and lo! he hits his first homer for months.

Good on yer, Figgy! ;-D

Good Call
C:Sandoval 1B:Teixeira 2B:Ramirez 3B:Huff SS:Rollins OF:Crawford OF:Markakis OF:Kemp U:Holliday U:Morneau B: Werth DL: Lowell
SP Billingsley Shields Verlander Lackey Romero Hughes
RP Cordero Bell Bailey Francisco
DL Dempster
Richie Rich
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates