Buy low on Weaver if you can - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Buy low on Weaver if you can

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Starkmadfan » Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:51 pm

chisox20 wrote:I thought this was gonna be about jeff....lol

Him I'd trade for a pack of smokes......... :-b
Help me out here? : http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2321827#2321827

Artwork by madaslives911
Starkmadfan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby johnsamo » Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:18 pm

mediocre is relative...

The last 3 starts look bad on the box score, BUT:

3 games ago - Gave up 3 runs in 6 innings against the Red Sox in Fenway... Left ahead but the bullpen blew it. A rook facing Poppy and Manny and the rest of the Sox IN FENWAY, and he leaves the game with a lead, giving up 3 runs in 6 innings, not bad IMO.... but on the box score, it's a no decision and a 4.5 ERA.

Next game... In Anaheim against the Rangers, a stacked hitting team with 3 lefty hitters who were red hot, they only had 2 righty bats in the line-up, one was Carlos Lee... Again, 3 runs in 6 innings, left with a lead, but the bullpen blows it, it's a no decision and a 4.5 ERA.

LAST GAME.... For 5 and 2/3rds, shut out ball, got out of two tough jams and had to throw a lot of pitches to do it, including K-ing three batters in a row (including Haffner) after letting 2 on with nobody out... Then in the 5th, with 2 outs, he's given up no runs so far, but it's clear he's tiring and his location is getting sloppy, gives up a solo homer to Sizemore... The next hitter, leaves it out over the plate for a single... At this point, it's clear he's tired and is wild, thowing WAY out of the ZONE and some straight down broadway... I'm screaming at the TV, take him out.... But Scioscia and Bud Black, with the bullpen warming, don't come out to talk to him or stall to get the reliever warm, they just sit there... He gives up another single on a pitch right over the plate, still, Scioscia and Bud Black do nothing, though it's beyond obvious Weaver's hit the wall and is just flinging it at the plate now with no idea where it's gonna go and there are 2 runners on base... But there's two outs, and I guess Scioscia is hoping he gets lucky and the hitter hits into the 3rd out. instead, Weaver throws another bp pitch straight down broadway and the guy hits a two run double.... THEN Scioscia finally steps out of the dugout and yanks him and the reliever gets the next guy out easily with a K.... again, the box score looks terrible, but until the last 4 batters, he was dealing a shutout against a good hitting team with 3 very good left hitters. Had Scioscia pulled the hook earlier, Weaver leaves the game ahead and probably gets the win because the bullpen was solid and we won the game... but not Weaver.

So anyway, Weaver was solid all 3 games, but bad relief in the first two games cost him wins and a coach too slow to pull him cost him another win and it make his last 3 box scores look far worse than his actual performances were.... Try and use this to buy low, especially in a keeper league.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:43 pm

chargerss24 wrote:
BitterDodgerFan wrote:i sold him high before his last 2 mediocre starts.

You say you sold Weaver high and you leave us hanging...who'd you get in return?!? :-B

Oh, and for the record...I'm not selling Weaver low. But I would trade Weaver for Jones! ;-D

i sold weaver, hoffman, ibanez for felix, c. ray, ichiro. all i wanted was ichiro but ended up with 3 solid players for 2 waiver pickups + hoffman.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby XHendrix » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:31 am

win it all wrote:i sold him for andruw jones and im crossing my fingers especially since after that sheets and liriano go down for me! :-o

sheets is pitching this saturday.
And you ripped that guy off, he coulda gotten way better than weaver.
XHendrix
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

sold him high

Postby healyja » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:10 am

I got AROD for him, not sure why the guy proposed the trade but I accepeted it as fast as I could.
healyja
College Coach
College Coach

Re: sold him high

Postby Starkmadfan » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:41 am

healyja wrote:I got AROD for him, not sure why the guy proposed the trade but I accepeted it as fast as I could.

You sir I salute - I can only dream of getting trade offers like that.
Help me out here? : http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2321827#2321827

Artwork by madaslives911
Starkmadfan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby johnsamo » Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:44 pm

told ya.... dealt in the bronx, gave up a meaningless homer for his only earned run in 6.... 8 Ks... 3 walks... Textbook Weaver vs. a powerful hitting team with a lot of good lefties.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Mashug » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:54 am

He's the real deal. Sorry I had him on my bench today
Mashug
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby d18Mike » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:28 am

You know I benched him for the past two weeks expecting a "regression to the norm" vs. some of the powerhouse teams. Oppps.

Look, he's not THIS good -- he will regress. And he'll do so when I have him back in the lineup as god's way of jabbing me in the ribs. ;-)
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby hayseed » Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:07 am

d18Mike wrote:You know I benched him for the past two weeks expecting a "regression to the norm" vs. some of the powerhouse teams. Oppps.

Look, he's not THIS good -- he will regress. And he'll do so when I have him back in the lineup as god's way of jabbing me in the ribs. ;-)

I've been thinking he's not this good for weeks. Then, I finally watched him pitch today against the Yanks. His control is pinpoint, up until he hits that fatigue wall. He was spotting his pitches incredibly well, and a couple of those walks that he issued were spotting calls by the ump. The kid is the real deal, impeccable control.
hayseed
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates