gauging callups vs waiver claims - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

gauging callups vs waiver claims

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

gauging callups vs waiver claims

Postby master453 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:37 pm

so its official garza is up.

question is for those of us with high waiver priorities in keeper/dynasty leagues...is he the claim for the remainder of the year?

i feel wood and gordon would be better claims, however the risk is they might not debut this year and be added to yahoo. i think particularly wood wont be up until 2007, but gordon is probably a 50/50.

any thoughts as to gordon coming up or anyone else that would top garza?
master453
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Galt » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:54 pm

It's highly doubtful that Wood is coming up this year.

The Royals said that Gordon would not skip AAA, and really, they have no place to play him with Tahean doing well, Shealy at 1B, and Sweeney (supposedly) close to returning to DH.

I think if you have a high waiver (unless Delmon is available), pick up Garza.

I don't think that Hughes or Bailey will get called up
Galt
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby MHD » Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:19 am

I think that if you need the help now in pitching, Garza is the right call and pick him up.

Although, I think the gamble of waiting could pay off if you decide to wait and see if a Gordon or a Butler, etc get called up. Going through this decision now myself.
MHD
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby master453 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:59 pm

espn reported gordon/butler likely to stay down, as we were thinking.

think garza is probably the best left to come up this year.
master453
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby gostanford07 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:49 pm

Well, that was certainly an uninspiring start for Garza. I'm not watching it so I don 't know how his stuff/composure looks, but judging by all the hits, he's not doin too great. Are there any more potential impact position players that will get a shot? Apparently we've heard Gordon and Butler are a no. What about Delmon? Anyone else?
gostanford07
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle Eye

Postby mcqfesijiba » Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:11 pm

gostanford07 wrote:Well, that was certainly an uninspiring start for Garza. I'm not watching it so I don 't know how his stuff/composure looks, but judging by all the hits, he's not doin too great. Are there any more potential impact position players that will get a shot? Apparently we've heard Gordon and Butler are a no. What about Delmon? Anyone else?
Since I'm assuming the original poster is playing in Yahoo leagues, I don't think Delmon is relevant in this case because he is already in the Yahoo database. Garza is probably the highest upside callup for the remainder of the season. I think Jason Hirsh is being a bit underrated. He is a fine prospect himself and probably the guy to go after if you don't get Garza. Gordon is highly unlikely to be called up.

Andrew Miller WILL be up with the Tigers. It is part of his contract. He will pitch in relief some this month before being added to the Tiger bullpen in September. Problem with him is that he hasn't even debuted in the pros as of the time of this post and he probably won't open the season with the team in 2007, but he's pretty much a guaranteed callup who has high upside. Just throwing his name out there as another alternative in what probably won't be a very rich September in terms of top prospects.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby barakaxaxa » Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:38 am

mcqfesijiba wrote:Andrew Miller WILL be up with the Tigers. It is part of his contract. He will pitch in relief some this month before being added to the Tiger bullpen in September. Problem with him is that he hasn't even debuted in the pros as of the time of this post and he probably won't open the season with the team in 2007, but he's pretty much a guaranteed callup who has high upside. Just throwing his name out there as another alternative in what probably won't be a very rich September in terms of top prospects.

In a keeper, this year's performance aside, who's the better pick-up: Matt Garza or Andrew Miller? I've got a high waiver in a keeper and am wondering whether I should pick up Garza. I've got enough pitching depth to stash him away for the year and minimize the risk. But, if I'm just picking him up in order to keep him, is he a better keeper than Miller?
barakaxaxa
College Coach
College Coach

Postby FalcoAtL » Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:14 pm

Is there a chance Longoria could get the call too?
FalcoAtL
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby MHD » Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:53 pm

FalcoAtL wrote:Is there a chance Longoria could get the call too?

TB said they are not going to rush him. It appears his season will end at AA.
MHD
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby FalcoAtL » Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:10 pm

Well if I have the #1 waiver priority should I go for Garza or Miller?
FalcoAtL
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Next

Return to Minor League & College Baseball