Liriano headed to DL - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Liriano headed to DL

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby AdvRider » Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:37 pm

This isn't necessarily all that horrible. If Gardenhire isn't blowing smoke and it's a muscular issue, not a structural problem with his elbow, that can resolve itself in a week or two.

Missing a few starts would let him rest up & rejuvenate. He could come back better than ever.

Yeah, I'm being optimistic ... :-]

From ESPN story:

Reports out of Minnesota say that the 22-year-old Cy Young candidate is out indefinitely with a left elbow injury. However, manager Ron Gardenhire told reporters after Monday night's game that Liriano's problems appeared to be muscular in nature.
"It's a muscular problem -- as the game was going on, he started to feel it," Gardenhire said. "We had him checked out before, and everything was fine, but we'll have him checked out again. It's muscles, not his elbow."
AdvRider
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 17)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SmartassBoiler » Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:59 pm

AdvRider wrote:From ESPN story:

Reports out of Minnesota say that the 22-year-old Cy Young candidate is out indefinitely with a left elbow injury. However, manager Ron Gardenhire told reporters after Monday night's game that Liriano's problems appeared to be muscular in nature.
"It's a muscular problem -- as the game was going on, he started to feel it," Gardenhire said. "We had him checked out before, and everything was fine, but we'll have him checked out again. It's muscles, not his elbow."

How would Gardenhire know until they go back in there with another MRI? I think he's just guessing at this point.

Given Liriano was my no brainer keeper in my keeper league, this is a tough blow, especially since I'm trying to hold onto first place.
SmartassBoiler
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jake_harv88 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:23 pm

rentz wrote:
A2J wrote:Wish I traded him when I had the chance...

no kidding, i think this weekend i could have done liriano for manny straight up

liriano for manny and you didn't do it?? That was not smart on your part. Think about it this way. Name the one pitcher you would draft in the first round??? Is it Liriano......cause i doubt it, Unless your name is johan you will not be drafted in the first round...
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby rentz » Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:36 pm

jake_harv88 wrote:
rentz wrote:
A2J wrote:Wish I traded him when I had the chance...

no kidding, i think this weekend i could have done liriano for manny straight up

liriano for manny and you didn't do it?? That was not smart on your part. Think about it this way. Name the one pitcher you would draft in the first round??? Is it Liriano......cause i doubt it, Unless your name is johan you will not be drafted in the first round...

i exxagerate, but it would have been liriano + a player of lesser stature, like saito or cantu....but when liriano is you only solid pitcher, you're hesitant to deal him
rentz
General Manager
General Manager

Postby TurdFerguson » Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:58 pm

AdvRider wrote:This isn't necessarily all that horrible. If Gardenhire isn't blowing smoke and it's a muscular issue, not a structural problem with his elbow, that can resolve itself in a week or two.

Missing a few starts would let him rest up & rejuvenate. He could come back better than ever.

Yeah, I'm being optimistic ... :-]

From ESPN story:

Exactly....This happens to alot of young pitchers.It happend to K-Rod last year.The person that said Gardenhire does not know the problem well they already did a MRI and found nothing to be wrong with his elbow.Read Gardenhire statement about him being checked yesterday.
TurdFerguson
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby bazzy_51 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:35 pm

i love it, i was gonna trade for this guy but the guy who owned him wanted the WHOLE farm for him so i backed down...now this guy is tellin me he will take eric chavez for him...im amazed at just how many people built their team around him? hes a STUD, but come on hes a rookie you can't have this guy as your foundation, gotta have someone that compliments him...oh and if you think your hopes are up because you lost liriano why don't you just go grab Garza while hes there, and if hes not you missed out on him!

Great thanks to soto for the sweet sig!...
bazzy_51
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby TurdFerguson » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:42 pm

bazzy_51 wrote:i love it, i was gonna trade for this guy but the guy who owned him wanted the WHOLE farm for him so i backed down...now this guy is tellin me he will take eric chavez for him...im amazed at just how many people built their team around him? hes a STUD, but come on hes a rookie you can't have this guy as your foundation, gotta have someone that compliments him...oh and if you think your hopes are up because you lost liriano why don't you just go grab Garza while hes there, and if hes not you missed out on him!

Garza is no Liriano, but not a bad option.
TurdFerguson
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby AdvRider » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:02 pm

bazzy_51 wrote:now this guy is tellin me he will take eric chavez for him...

That is insane ... do the deal! ;-D
AdvRider
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 17)

Liriano to the Dl...NOOOOOOO!!!!!

Postby vykeengfan » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:36 pm

Great, just great

Aug 8 ESPN.com reports Minnesota Twins SP Francisco Liriano (forearm) is likely headed to the disabled list with a strained left forearm. "It's a muscular problem - as the game was going on (Monday), he started to feel it," Twins manager Ron Gardenhire said. "We had him checked out before, and everything was fine, but we'll have him checked out again. It's muscles, not his elbow."

Aug 8 Liriano is likely headed to the DL and is out indefinitely after feeling soreness in his throwing forearm, the St. Paul Pioneer Press reports. Liriano experienced pain in a different muscle near his elbow than last week and is more worried about his arm than before, the paper adds.
Recommendation: He'll have further exams this week, but this doesn't look good. Expect him to miss several starts as a minimum and he could be out much longer.

Aug 8 The St. Paul Pioneer Press is reporting that the Minnesota Twins will likely put Liriano on the DL. After missing his turn in the rotation last week because of soreness in his throwing forearm, the Twins left-hander lasted just four innings on Monday, allowing four runs and 10 hits in the team's 9-3 loss.
Advice: Liriano's last five starts have been extremely uneven. He is 2-2 with a 3.23 ERA, with three of the starts lasting fewer than six innings. Overall the rookie is 12-3 with a 2.19 ERA.
vykeengfan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby jdsun1 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:40 pm

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :~(
jdsun1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext