King Felix - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

King Felix

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

King Felix

Postby bmd » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:41 am

Is King Felix going to pitch the entire season? I read somewhere that the Mariners were looking into shutting him down around 200 IP. Right now he has pitched 128 innings. That would leave him with 72 innings the rest of the season. Just to do some calculations - if he pitched 6 innings per start that would give him 12 more starts before he reaches 200 innings pitched. Is there anyone else out there that heard this and what are your thoughts about him pitching the entire season?

Thanks!
bmd
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby mdHARRIS » Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:05 pm

Lot of replies today, eh?
My thought is that once Seattle is eliminated from the post-season, Felix gets shut down or...gets shut down...
mdHARRIS
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SmartassBoiler » Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:00 pm

If they're out of the race, they'll probably go through with the plan and shut him down around 200 innings. No point in over-extending him this year at his youthful age.
SmartassBoiler
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jake_harv88 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:36 pm

i highly doubt they just flat out shut the guy down. Do you mean they are going to put him on the DL or something like that? I've never seen that happen before. More than likely they will just make sure to watch his innings pitched and pitch counts. Really the number of innings he pitches is irrelevant in respect to the number of pitches he throws. I suspect they will make sure they watch that count more closely...
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 24)

Postby Mariners44 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:50 pm

mdHARRIS wrote:Lot of replies today, eh?
My thought is that once Seattle is eliminated from the post-season, Felix gets shut down or...gets shut down...

whadda u mean WHEN seattle gets eliminated. there goin all the way :-D
Mariners44
College Coach
College Coach

Postby fbc_fan » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:34 pm

jake_harv88 wrote:i highly doubt they just flat out shut the guy down. Do you mean they are going to put him on the DL or something like that? I've never seen that happen before. More than likely they will just make sure to watch his innings pitched and pitch counts. Really the number of innings he pitches is irrelevant in respect to the number of pitches he throws. I suspect they will make sure they watch that count more closely...

management stated earlier in the year that they would keep him on a strict 200 IP limit unless the team was in contention. i'll see if i can dig up the article.
thanks to madison/go_jays_go for the slick sig!
fbc_fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AdvRider » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:53 pm

The Mariners are 6.5 games back in a fairly weak West. They're in contention, arguably, at least for now ... & they're pitching Felix deep tonite, thru 7 w/ game tied 1-1 vs. Tampa.

I'm watching the games vs. Tampa and announcers said King hasn't been over 112 pitches all year. Think he's at about 106 right now...
AdvRider
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)

Postby pokerplaya » Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:22 am

Felix just threw 111 pitches, so it doesn't seem that they are being that careful.

I think he'll go most of the year. If he misses 3 starts or so at the end of the year in order to preserve his arm, so be it.

Unfortunately, that will be right around the time of my H2H playoffs. :-o
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby jdsun1 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:50 am

His era has been falling rapidly however look at his schedule for the rest of the year. Yikes!
jdsun1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby johnsamo » Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:56 am

My guess is he keeps getting his starts, but they lower his maximum pitch count or 5 innings max. It doesn't make sense to to totally shout down a pitcher. A pitcher has to pitch to get better. I think off season is the critical thing, they've got to improve his overall endurance. I've notice a dramatic decline in the quality of his pitches at around 80. Maybe he's improved on that, but to me, pitching endurance is more about the legs than the arm.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates