Zumaya...2007..

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby StudentOfTheGame » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:58 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
StudentOfTheGame wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
StudentOfTheGame wrote:
mcqfesijiba wrote:
WhiteHot wrote:On the operating table getting Tommy John surgeys...that's where I see him.
Thanks for the fabulous and well thought out input. Pure genius. Evidence and facts to support statements like this are vastly overrated. ;-7

Well the guy does throw 100 mph...Let's see, other players who throw as hard:

Harden
Wood
Prior
Burnett

Hmmmm...What do these guys have in common? Not all of them had Tommy John's surgery, but the two guys who haven't(Harden and Prior) have barely played the last two seasons.

Don't be a homer and think that Zumaya is immune to injury.

So, throwing fastballs is the most common cause of needing TJ surgery??

No....Throwing hard.

I'm just trying to start up a discussion here and I agree that power pitchers usually get injured more or stay injured longer but I disagree with the rest. Otherwise, why do they dissuade young kids from throwing king balls or wait for guys coming off of the DL to throw them?? It's always fastballs first, right??

Well from what I've read, Zumaya throws his breaking ball pretty hard too.
StudentOfTheGame
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:35 am

Glad that you noticed that "king" balls means breaking balls. Not sure what happened there. O:-) :-B
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby StudentOfTheGame » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:47 am

Lofunzo wrote:Glad that you noticed that "king" balls means breaking balls. Not sure what happened there. O:-) :-B

B-) It took a couple of read throughs before I figured it out.
StudentOfTheGame
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mcqfesijiba » Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:42 pm

StudentOfTheGame wrote:I'm just saying, it's not ridiculous to think that this guy may end up going under the knife at some point in his career....There is a reason you don't see many guys throwing that hard in the MLB....It is very unnatural to put that much pressure on your arm.
I agree in a way. I was half joking in a way when I wrote the post replying to the poster who saw Zumaya getting specifically TJ surgery (not just an injury in general) at some point in the future, but was also defending Zumaya a bit as a Tiger fan. Bottom line is that ANY pitcher is an injury risk. Power pitcher, control pitcher, doesn't matter, although the tendency is greater for power pitcher for various reasons. Some are riskier than others. I could easily name an impressive list of soft tossers/control artists who are hurt right now, not just hard throwers.

Also, Zumaya being in relief right now, may help him to stay healthy as compared to if he was starting. Some starters actually get converted to relief just for this reason, but Zumaya doesn't really have too much of an injury history right now. He's still a pitcher and very young. You just never know.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby moochman » Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:35 am

mcqfesijiba wrote:
StudentOfTheGame wrote:I'm just saying, it's not ridiculous to think that this guy may end up going under the knife at some point in his career....There is a reason you don't see many guys throwing that hard in the MLB....It is very unnatural to put that much pressure on your arm.
I agree in a way. I was half joking in a way when I wrote the post replying to the poster who saw Zumaya getting specifically TJ surgery (not just an injury in general) at some point in the future, but was also defending Zumaya a bit as a Tiger fan. Bottom line is that ANY pitcher is an injury risk. Power pitcher, control pitcher, doesn't matter, although the tendency is greater for power pitcher for various reasons. Some are riskier than others. I could easily name an impressive list of soft tossers/control artists who are hurt right now, not just hard throwers.

Also, Zumaya being in relief right now, may help him to stay healthy as compared to if he was starting. Some starters actually get converted to relief just for this reason, but Zumaya doesn't really have too much of an injury history right now. He's still a pitcher and very young. You just never know.

To say it's unnatural to throw that hard is besides the point, Student. To Thorw a baseball effectively enough to play pro-ball is unnatural. To simply state that he may go under the knife at some point in his career, as Whitehot suggests, is pretty vague and lacks merit. Had someoen mentioned that his pitching motion is violent and that tends to damage shoulders and elbows often requiring surgical intervention you would have lent some validity to those statements.
However, he has smoothed out his throwing motion, according to team sources, and is a big guy. It may be possible that he could throw that hard from the bull pen without hurting his arm enough to warrent surgery.

I think he will be a set-up man with part-time closer responsibilities next season. Jones won't be asked to close two game in-a-row and if he slumps... I think the Tigers have an awful lot of young pitching talent coming up in the next few years to make turning Zumaya back into a starter needless.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mcqfesijiba » Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:41 pm

moochman wrote:I think the Tigers have an awful lot of young pitching talent coming up in the next few years to make turning Zumaya back into a starter needless.
Hopefully, but when it comes to pitching, you just never know.

I still maintain that he is still very young and very talented and that pigeonholing him as a closer at this point is still premature. I'm not disappointed, though. It's a nice predicament to have all this pitching depth. Plus as long as he's in the bullpen, *hopefully* he will be less likely to go all Mark Prior/Kerry Wood/Ben Sheets on us and be eternally a yoyo for the DL.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BritSox » Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:05 pm

Generally, it's a known truth that wicked breaking stuff is the type of pitch most likely to do damage to a pitcher's arm. Those whose best pitches are fastball-changeup are much less likely to suffer injuries than guys with that kind of repertoire.

I'm sure you can make a pretty impressive list of soft tossers who've gotten hurt, too.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers