How much of a difference can middle RPs make this late? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How much of a difference can middle RPs make this late?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How much of a difference can middle RPs make this late?

Postby warrick95 » Thu Sep 04, 2003 12:01 pm

In roto leagues? Rafael Soriano was dropped in my league and due to the lack of big callups this summer (right, guys?), I'm considering blowing my #3 waiver request on him. He qualifies at SP, so I could start him there without benching any of my closers.

My question is: how much can he shave off my ERA/WHIP and how many K's can he get me by the end of the year? We have a 1250 innings limit and I'm already 35 or so over, so I'm not sure if this is a good call or not. I currently am tied for 2nd in WHIP, with 1.24. 1st has 1.20, 4th has 1.28. I'm 3rd in ERA, with 3.74. 1st and 2nd have 3.38 and 3.61 respectively, and 4th has 3.76. I currently am starting a rotation of Hudson, Millwood, Morris, and Beckett. I think it's time to cut down on the spot starts for the rest of the year, especially after what happened to Cliff Lee. Thanks.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BeautifulBrunette » Thu Sep 04, 2003 12:12 pm

Good question, as I'm also wondering about this. I'm looking at maybe dropping the likes of Tim Redding, Ron Villone or Cliff Lee for someone like Guilermo Mota, LaTroy Hawkins or Brad Lidge.

I like Lee's stuff but he took a beating his last time out. And Redding...yikes. :-o
BeautifulBrunette
College Coach
College Coach

Postby warrick95 » Thu Sep 04, 2003 12:23 pm

In your case, I'd dump either Redding or Villone. I doubt they're much better than some of the SPs on the wire. Redding hasn't fared well against Cincy or LA, two weak hitting teams, which disgusted me.

Are you in H2H or Roto, though? It might be better to spot start in H2H leagues, since some middle relievers might only have about 5 or so innings a week. Thus, they won't have the impact of about one start.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jdh » Thu Sep 04, 2003 12:28 pm

If you're looking to just protect your current ERA and WHIP numbers, they can be helpful to start instead of starting pitchers. However, at this point in the season, you can't expect to signifigantly reduce ERA or WHIP by using excellent middle relievers, because they just don't pitch enough innings to make a dent in your ERA after all the innings you would have already accrued over the season. If you are set in wins, ERA, WHIP wins and Ks, benching all your starters for middle relievers is a decent plan, but otherwise, they are pretty much useless.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby great gretzky » Thu Sep 04, 2003 1:37 pm

i wouldn;t drop villone, he has a pretty favorable schedule...
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Madison » Thu Sep 04, 2003 1:38 pm

The impact will be very, very small. Looking at the numbers, they won't help you catch the teams in front of you. They can help you maintain where you currently are and bring your numbers down a slight bit.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby d18Mike » Thu Sep 04, 2003 3:18 pm

I did some interesting math on this subject few years ago ... but threw it away. The impact of MRs on WHIP/ERA in the final month is almost imperceptible . Also, with late-season calls ups, they get fewer innings unless they are throwing for contenders.
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers