When will Cameron Maybin be called up? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

When will Cameron Maybin be called up?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

When will Cameron Maybin be called up?

Postby wysewunn05 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:55 am

What is his best feature to the game?

Also:

Cesar Carrillo*
Ryan Braun*
Matt Kemp*
Chris Young*
wysewunn05
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby hybrid » Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:40 am

Not anytime soon, he is in Low A after all. My best guess would be in 2008 or 2009. As to what his best feature is, I'm guessing you mean the best aspect of his game which right now is his speed. Though as he gets bigger his power will be up there as well.

Matt Kemp and Chris Young should both get September call ups this year.

Ryan Braun if he continues to develope well could be called up sometime next year in the 2nd half, w/ a good chance of a September call up.

As for Carrilo he is injured at the moment and it really all depends when he can come back. I believe he is being shut down for the rest of the minor league season and hopes to pitch in the Arizona Fall League, but who is to say he will be 100% then. His status is pretty up in the air when your dealing with a pitchers elbow.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Kemp Young

Postby wysewunn05 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:47 am

thanks for your reply...

Another thing...

Who would you rather have M. Kemp or C. Young?

and why?
wysewunn05
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby hybrid » Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:09 am

I'd rather have Matt Kemp over Young. The reason being I think Kemp is better or the same in every category, I'm especially more sold on him hitting for average where as Young reminds me more of Cameron.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby rmande09 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:48 am

Maybin may become the #1 prospect in baseball. He's hitting for average, walks a lot, has great speed, and at 6'3", 200, he's built like a freak. I read somewhere he's got like... 5% body fat. And as he gets older, he's just going to get bigger, and the power will be there... The kid could be great. He still has a ways to go, and a late 2008 call-up is possible, but 2009 is more likely.
C: Pierzynski
1B: Pujols
2B: Altuve
3B: Miggy
SS: HanRam
OF (x3): CarGo, M. Bourn, D. Jennings
UTIL (x2): E. Encarnacion, C. Hart
BN: Cuddyer, C. Ross, J. Montero

SP: Price, Gallardo, T. Hudson, Lester
RP: Chapman, Jansen, Rodney, Putz, Cishek, Bailey
rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mempgrizz » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:51 pm

atleast 2 years
mempgrizz
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Dannomyte » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:50 am

From todays Detroit News

Q . Dave Dombrowski has hinted that hotshot center-field prospect Cameron Maybin could be in Detroit for at least a cameo late next year. So why is he still at low Class A West Michigan?

A . The Tigers want him to adjust to a full season of playing with teammates and competing for a playoff spot, which is the situation at West Michigan. Moving him up a notch, to Class A Lakeland, is viewed as non-essential for a player who was still in high school 14 months ago.

Q . How good can Maybin be?

A . Last month I saw an independent major league scouting report on Maybin, which was lights-out. The scout's summary statement: "He is the best outfield prospect I have seen other than Delmon Young. At worst, barring injury, this is Torii Hunter."

Q . How fast can he get to Detroit, and where will he play?

A . Dombrowski was being realistic when he said a 20-year-old Maybin could at least get a September call-up next season. He will play center field when he arrives in Detroit. Curtis Granderson would move to a corner outfield spot, which could create the best side-by-side coverage tandem in the American League.

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/articl ... 90337/1004
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mcqfesijiba » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:50 am

rmande09 wrote:Maybin may become the #1 prospect in baseball. He's hitting for average, walks a lot, has great speed, and at 6'3", 200, he's built like a freak. I read somewhere he's got like... 5% body fat. And as he gets older, he's just going to get bigger, and the power will be there... The kid could be great. He still has a ways to go, and a late 2008 call-up is possible, but 2009 is more likely.
He still has to cut those K's way down. Almost 1 K for every 3 at bats, but as mentioned he is willing to take some walks. It'll be very interesting to see how he adjusts to more advanced pitching as he moves up. It's just so tough to predict how soon a player so young and still in A ball will make the majors.

I've also heard a rumor (about a week ago) that various factors will lead to him getting an opportunity (not a guarantee, just an opportunity) to open up next year in AA, and skipping high A entirely. The primary factors being a lack of depth in OF prospects in the system and how well the organization feels he can handle such a jump. That interview from the local newspaper posted by Dannomyte makes me think this is a very valid rumor.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cameron Maybin 1 of a kind...

Postby wysewunn05 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:12 pm

I project that Cameron Maybin will skip High A ball jumping into AA, then from AA jumping into AAA following Year...

If Detroit is smart, they will properly bring Cameron into the Majors by 2008... The tigers will be a playoff contender for the next 3 years in this case with a dazzling OF and speed to go with it!!!
wysewunn05
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Re: Cameron Maybin 1 of a kind...

Postby hayseed » Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:13 pm

wysewunn05 wrote:I project that Cameron Maybin will skip High A ball jumping into AA, then from AA jumping into AAA following Year...

If Detroit is smart, they will properly bring Cameron into the Majors by 2008... The tigers will be a playoff contender for the next 3 years in this case with a dazzling OF and speed to go with it!!!

Detroit's OF situation is already sticky, how is it going to look for the next few years, including Maybin??
hayseed
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Minor League & College Baseball