I blew it. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

I blew it.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

I blew it.

Postby JRRNeiklot » Thu Sep 04, 2003 8:52 am

I finally crawled into first place, but I now have a grand total of 3.1 innings left. I didn't realize there was an inning limit until about a month or so ago. I tried to conserve innings, but when I have an ace going against Detroit, it's hard NOT to start him. I guess my only hope is to sell off all my pitchers for hitters and try and scrape every point I can in the offensive categories. Problem is when you have an outfield like mine, it's hard to improve on it.

Here's my offense:

C Piazza, Mike (C-NYM)
1B Thome, Jim (1B, DH-Phi)
2B Soriano, Alfonso (2B-NYY)
3B Blalock, Hank (3B-Tex)
SS Cabrera, Orlando
OF Edmonds, Jim (CF-StL)
OF Huff, Aubrey (DH, 1B, RF-TB)
OF Wells, Vernon (CF-Tor)
Util Bonds, Barry (LF-SF)
Bench Crawford, Carl (LF-TB)
Bench Williams, Bernie (CF-NYY)
Bench Conine, Jeff (1B-Fla
Bench Jones, Andruw (CF-Atl)

I'm thinking maybe of trying to package Cabrera and a pitcher for A-rod, but I doubt he'll go for it. He hasn't made a trade yet.

Any other upgrades I could make?

Also: Who should be my starting 4 in the outfield/util spots? I just made a trade for Jones, he won't actually be in my lineup till maybe Saturday.

Thanks.
JRRNeiklot
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 23)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby demoflauchy » Thu Sep 04, 2003 9:50 am

Who are your pitchers?

ARod's on a tear over the last month, so good luck prying him away from his owner. I tried 2 weeks ago and it didn't work.

You're pretty stacked as is, I don't see too many areas of impovement without giving your pitchers away...
demoflauchy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby JRRNeiklot » Thu Sep 04, 2003 10:05 am

I have 3.1 innings left. I'll more than happily throw them away.

Pitchers:

Bench Kim, Byung-Hyun
Bench Baez, Danys (SP, RP-Cle)
Bench Brower, Jim (RP, SP-SF)
Bench Guardado, Eddie (RP-Min)
Bench Cordero, Francisco (
Bench Santana, Johan (SP, RP-Min)
Bench Harden, Rich (SP-Oak)
Bench Brown, Kevin (SP, RP-LA)
Bench Batista, Miguel (SP, RP-Ari)
DL Foppert, JesseDL (RP, SP-SF)
DL Hoffman, Trevor (RP-SD)
JRRNeiklot
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby demoflauchy » Thu Sep 04, 2003 10:13 am

Looks like you're out of luck. I don't see any pitchers on your staff that could be packaged to get an upgrade for you.

You might try throwing an email to everyone in your league and seeing if they want to trade for anyone...But they most likely know your almost over your limit...
demoflauchy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby willieroe » Thu Sep 04, 2003 10:16 am

As I understand it, the total innings accrue at the end of the day - so if you see a day in the schedule shortly where you have multiple starters going (with good matchups), bench all your pitchers until that day. You can then get innings beyond the limit.
willieroe
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby JRRNeiklot » Thu Sep 04, 2003 10:26 am

Yeah. They're all benched for the moment.
JRRNeiklot
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Madison » Thu Sep 04, 2003 10:36 am

You will get the short end on a deal, but if the person you're trading with can't catch you in pitching it won't hurt as bad. Try to get the best deal you can. Good luck. ;-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby warrick95 » Thu Sep 04, 2003 11:55 am

You might be able to get something decent for Brown and somebody. Like willie said, start all your pitchers on a day that many of them have games and with good matchups. You may want to pick up some other spot starts for that day as well, to get the most out of your innings.

Try looking for a team that could use saves. Closers have been tough to come by this year and perhaps somebody's willing to pay a good price for Guardado and Cordero.

Don't tell anybody that you're nearly over the limit. You'll look desperate and teams will know that and use that against you.

You can make an upgrade at third and short. Is it possible for you to pick up Pujols, A-Rod, or Nomar by paying high with pitchers?

Speaking of blowing it, I sort of blew it, but not as big as you. I was gonna pick up Hammock last night to play today since LeCroy's off, but I forgot. Another team picked him up. As y'all probably know, Hammock's been blistering hot lately and I expect him to keep it up (especially since he's getting more PT now...or is he?). I just feel a huge game against KC's Voyles today...dammit. I'm gonna puke if he hits a homer, especially since I'm in some very close races in my ROTO league now.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jdh » Thu Sep 04, 2003 12:33 pm

Well here's what you can do. Look at the standings and see who is ahead of you in the standings, or who is hotly pursuing you. Then, look at how they sit in ERA, wins, WHIP, Ks and saves. Then see what teams could catch up to the teams that are your primary competition in some or all of those categories. Then, trade some of your top pitchers to these teams for minimal value. If the pitchers you traded to them can bump their teams above your competition in a few categories, you'd be knocking a few points off your competition, and actually getting some value from your pitchers now that you can't.

I wouldn't just drop all your pitchers because then anyone can pick them up, and it might be someone that will wind up hurting you in the standings by taking advantage of them. If for no other reason then to prevent your competition from benefiting, you need to keep at least your best pitchers (Brown, Santana, Batista, Guardado, Cordero, Kim, Harden).
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby JRRNeiklot » Thu Sep 04, 2003 3:40 pm

Yeah, well, the problem is, all the teams that can't hurt me have no one that can help me. :-(

One guy does have Nomar, though. He's just behind me in wins, but he only has 23 innings left. I think I'll offer him Cabrera and his choice of pitchers. Hell any 2 pitchers for Nomar.

On another note, out of these outfielders, which 4 should I be starting? I'd like to get Jones in there, or Crawford for the steals, but I'd be benching some damn good hitters.

OF Edmonds, Jim (CF-StL)
OF Huff, Aubrey (DH, 1B, RF-TB)
OF Wells, Vernon (CF-Tor)
Util Bonds, Barry (LF-SF)
Bench Crawford, Carl (LF-TB)
Bench Williams, Bernie (CF-NYY)
Bench Conine, Jeff (1B-Fla
Bench Jones, Andruw (CF-Atl)
JRRNeiklot
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor