who drafted victor martinez? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

who drafted victor martinez?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Mugrila » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:43 pm

Draft him? No, but I did manage to swap him for Utley during the offseason. ;-)
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Laean » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:53 pm

Omen, Bleach, i don't really think there is any risk in waiting for later rounds to get a catcher in a standard mixed 10-12 team league, where there's only one catcher position (which is the vast majority of fantasy baseball leagues out there), because there are more than 12 decent catchers in fantasy baseball. unless, of course, you have a couple of teams in your league who like to hoard a bunch of catchers.
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:24 am

i drafted vmart and im pretty happy with the fact that i NEVER had to worry about the catcher position the whole season. vmart is special because he will get more ABs than the normal catcher piling up more stats, as he plays more games and can play 1B/DH. if vmart went during the draft as projected, 4-5th rounder, i think its a justifiable pick. despite being the weakest position, vmart is outhitting some of my other position players and being a stud in a catcher nowadays is a 1-2 race with mauer and vmart with vtek, j. lopez, posada not being what they used to be. peace of mind having a reliable player is why certain players are picked in the earlier rounds.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Laean » Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:11 am

for the people who argue about how having vmart is worth it (notice they aren't justifying his #s) because you never have to worry about the catcher position:

1. you're exaggerating. i've posted many many times, there's more than 12 decent catchers in AL + NL. any one of those catchers, you can just leave in your C slot and not have to worry about.

2. even if you ended up not drafting a decent catcher you can just use everyday, it's NOT ALL THAT HARD to find a decent catcher to use like in a week or two. you guys make it sound like it's like trying to find a sober freshmen girl at a frat party. people don't hoard catchers like they do all the other positions. what the hell are they going to do with 2 catchers with 1 catcher slot? use one up on a utility slot? that'd be inefficient to the point of stupidity. let them do that then. just waste a bench slot? for the whole year? let them then. try to trade? let them then. just don't buy at the inflated price, then throw him a bone later when no one's buying. or hell, just pick up mccann if you missed out on willingham. oh wait, he did manage to trade him away? so what? get the ousted catcher from the team that bought the new catcher.

are you so slow that you missed out on picking up willingham, mccann, piazza, martin, AND napoli (probably undrafted in majority of leagues) in a 10-12 team league, AFTER the others before you already drafted their "decent" to good catchers? (vmart, mauer, varitek, hernandez, molina, posada, rodriguez, barrett, johjima, estrada, pierzynski, loduca, kendall - 13 here already that are decent and most of which were probably drafted.) you were that slow, despite the fact that you're competing only with yourself now for a catcher? (i refuse to believe that in a 10-12 team league with 1 C slot, and 18 decent catchers total available, there would be any competition at all if a team was somehow still scouring the FA for a usable catcher that they could just leave in everyday.)

if you really are that slow, whether because you are just that sucky or too busy in real life to keep up, you aren't going to win no matter what you do anyway.

i just want to clarify that i'm not addressing the posts in this thread that are trying to justify vmart's #s. i don't agree with them either, but i do see some reasoning and effort of justification behind them. i'm only responding to the posts about how the peace of mind that you get from wasting a 3rd round pick on vmart makes it a good move, because you can just leave him in there and - i can only assume - you don't have to check it or think about it. if that's how you play fantasy baseball, what's the point? first, it's less fun. second, you're not going to win (unless you play with people way worse than you or get lucky or half the teams are inactive, etc.)
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers