who drafted victor martinez? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

who drafted victor martinez?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Old_Style » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:40 pm

deutschland wrote:
Surfs up wrote:The nice thing about Vmart if you are in a keeper league is he will quaify at first base for next year.


why? Victor is pretty worthless if you have to play him at 1st.


true.... there are 10 1B out there that i'd take over martinez
Image
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 6885
Joined: 24 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: at the last neighborhood corner tavern

Postby Laean » Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:43 am

ARCH wrote:There's no difference between the 5th ranked catcher and the 15th ranked catcher. Catcher is the deepest position in fantasy baseball, easily.


i think this was what i was trying to say.

if you're not going to get vmart or mauer, don't bother drafting catchers at all until near the end or just pick one up off the FA. but don't go drafting mauer or vmart in the 3rd round either to ensure that you do get them. is that worth not drafting a halladay or a carlos lee or a andruw jones? no.

if mauer or vmart fell to me around the 5th round, i'd consider it.
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2595
Joined: 16 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Laean » Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:44 am

Old_Style wrote:
deutschland wrote:
Surfs up wrote:The nice thing about Vmart if you are in a keeper league is he will quaify at first base for next year.


why? Victor is pretty worthless if you have to play him at 1st.


true.... there are 10 1B out there that i'd take over martinez


to be fair, we don't know what vmart is capable of if not enduring the grind of catching and given near 600 at bats in a season.
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2595
Joined: 16 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Jury » Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:02 pm

Old_Style wrote:
deutschland wrote:
Surfs up wrote:The nice thing about Vmart if you are in a keeper league is he will quaify at first base for next year.


why? Victor is pretty worthless if you have to play him at 1st.


true.... there are 10 1B out there that i'd take over martinez


There are probably about 25 1B out there that I'd take over Martinez :-D

He's an excellent offensive catcher, but 1B is where the big boys are at!
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3328
Joined: 17 Feb 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby gforce1124 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:59 pm

quick question for the guy in the points league, why dont you roll out the points difference between the 1st and 15th rated position players? i'm sure far greater than 100 points.

and i think that the more victor plays 1b, the more valuable he becomes. but that has nothing to do with position eligibility on your fantasy team, just less wear and tear on his body. also, keep in mind that we still have the last 2 months of the season to play here, which is the time when cathers are most fatigued and injury prone. i would not be suprised if mauer's avg dropped off a cliff in the next couple weeks. i still view vmart as the top catcher for next year, he simply has so much more power potential right now. maybe 3-4 years from now i'll be singing a different tune though, who knows.

bottom line, i just think there will always be someone else in my league who will take the top catchers far earlier than i'll be willing to. pitchers and catchers are just so unpredictable, other hitters are much easier to project and are generally safer.
gforce1124
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 107
Joined: 22 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Philliebuster » Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:36 pm

gforce1124 wrote:quick question for the guy in the points league, why dont you roll out the points difference between the 1st and 15th rated position players? i'm sure far greater than 100 points.

and i think that the more victor plays 1b, the more valuable he becomes. but that has nothing to do with position eligibility on your fantasy team, just less wear and tear on his body. also, keep in mind that we still have the last 2 months of the season to play here, which is the time when cathers are most fatigued and injury prone. i would not be suprised if mauer's avg dropped off a cliff in the next couple weeks. i still view vmart as the top catcher for next year, he simply has so much more power potential right now. maybe 3-4 years from now i'll be singing a different tune though, who knows.

bottom line, i just think there will always be someone else in my league who will take the top catchers far earlier than i'll be willing to. pitchers and catchers are just so unpredictable, other hitters are much easier to project and are generally safer.


The point differential between the 1st and 15th ranked positional players is also around 100 points +/-, but that is the whole point, the top ranked at these positions are going in the 1st and 2nd round of the draft. This is why one can draft Vmart early and enjoy the production from the C position while the rest of the fantasy league is getting relatively less production from their C.

And FYI because of Vmarts good average, high run production and lack of strikeouts (47), he ranks 13 amongst 1B's in my league, ahead of the likes of Helton, Delgado, Overbay, Fielder, Tracy, Youkilis, Swisher. So the dual eligibility will be welcomed by me, if I have to plug him in at 1B a time or two, it'll give me flexibility with choosing bench players for 1B and C.
Philliebuster
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1238
Joined: 28 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: New Jersey

Postby GrubNasty » Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:50 pm

i agree with the statement there seems to be a lot of hindsight going on, sure this year some catchers are putting up good numbers, but the safer money was for sure on vmart and mauer...and i dont really think their burning any owners...
GrubNasty
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 310
Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Laean » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:05 pm

GrubNasty wrote:i agree with the statement there seems to be a lot of hindsight going on, sure this year some catchers are putting up good numbers, but the safer money was for sure on vmart and mauer...and i dont really think their burning any owners...


i think the point is that you can pretty much count on there always being "some catcher ... putting up good numbers" every season.


vmart, barrett, barajas, estrada, craig wilson, etc in 2004

pierzynski, zaun, mauer, etc in 2005

willingham, mccann, martin, etc this year.
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2595
Joined: 16 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheOmen » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:53 pm

I took him in the 4th round, and frankly I enjoy not having a ? at C. Sure, I could have goitten lucky later in the draft. But why depend on luck when you can get the sure thing?
TheOmen
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 519
Joined: 29 Sep 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Censored

Postby bleach168 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:39 pm

Laean wrote:
GrubNasty wrote:i agree with the statement there seems to be a lot of hindsight going on, sure this year some catchers are putting up good numbers, but the safer money was for sure on vmart and mauer...and i dont really think their burning any owners...


i think the point is that you can pretty much count on there always being "some catcher ... putting up good numbers" every season.


vmart, barrett, barajas, estrada, craig wilson, etc in 2004

pierzynski, zaun, mauer, etc in 2005

willingham, mccann, martin, etc this year.


True, but it doesn't necessarily mean you will end up with a decent one. If you play in a competitive league, you're hope is that you'll be able to snag just one which may not happen. Even if you get one, you spend nearly half a season playing junk catchers trying to find a gem.
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 5058
(Past Year: 16)
Joined: 22 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Wednesday, Oct. 22
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

San Francisco at Kansas City
(8:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact