who drafted victor martinez? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

who drafted victor martinez?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Surfs up » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:26 pm

The nice thing about Vmart if you are in a keeper league is he will quaify at first base for next year.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 183)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Iconoclastic » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:29 pm

So you guys are going by hindsight that since there are lots of great Cs to be had in the late rounds that you should draft other positions? What about Corey Patterson, jason giambi, tons of breakout pitchers, Justin Morneau, Jermaine Dye, Troy Glaus, etc. By the same logic you can wait on those positions too. I feel catchers are getting a bad rep for being the baseball equivalent of kickers in football. I consider the injury risk in my valuations, but studs like Victor Martinez are absolutely worth a 4th or 5th round pick. He still has room to improve and .300 30 100 upside from a thin position should not be underestimated.
[b]Bold Predictions:[/b]

Grady Sizemore will have more value than Jason Bay regardless of draft position

Aramis Ramirez in 155 G will hit over .300 40 HR 110 RBIs

Brian McCann will have more value than Jorge Posada regardless of draft position
Iconoclastic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Jury » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:35 pm

Iconoclastic wrote:So you guys are going by hindsight that since there are lots of great Cs to be had in the late rounds that you should draft other positions? What about Corey Patterson, jason giambi, tons of breakout pitchers, Justin Morneau, Jermaine Dye, Troy Glaus, etc. By the same logic you can wait on those positions too. I feel catchers are getting a bad rep for being the baseball equivalent of kickers in football. I consider the injury risk in my valuations, but studs like Victor Martinez are absolutely worth a 4th or 5th round pick. He still has room to improve and .300 30 100 upside from a thin position should not be underestimated.

Yep, agreed here. Way too much hindsight lately. Whoever took V-Mart this year was set at catcher, while everyone else was either taking a chance at the catcher position, or settling for the mediocre bunch of Posada, Barrett, Javy Lopez, etc.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jonesbros » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:36 pm

BritSox wrote:

Btw- no way MCab lasted to the third. Didn't make it past the middle of the second in a single league i played in, good or bad.

Actually, you're right. He went the end of the 1st round. Just for laughs, here is how our 3rd round shook out and you can see the number of busts that appeared.

G. Sheffield
C. Carpenter
I. Suzuki
V. Martínez
Ma. Rivera
Ra. Johnson
R. Sexson
J. Peavy
R. Oswalt
G. Sizemore

I couldn't believe a guy like Sexson went ahead of Konerko (my 4th pick) or Randy went ahead of Webb (my 7th). And a closer taken in the 3rd round? Jump back!
C- McCann
1B- Morneau
2B- Roberts
3B- Zimm
SS- Renteria
LF- MCab
RF- Francouer
CF- DRoberts
OF- Podsednik
Util- FThomas
BN
Konerko
Aurilia
Hafner

P
Webb
Lackey
ESantana
JWeaver
MCain
Garland
FCordero
Otsuka
Kasmir (DL)
jonesbros
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Jury » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:42 pm

jonesbros wrote:
BritSox wrote:

Btw- no way MCab lasted to the third. Didn't make it past the middle of the second in a single league i played in, good or bad.

Actually, you're right. He went the end of the 1st round. Just for laughs, here is how our 3rd round shook out and you can see the number of busts that appeared.

G. Sheffield
C. Carpenter
I. Suzuki
V. Martínez
Ma. Rivera
Ra. Johnson
R. Sexson
J. Peavy
R. Oswalt
G. Sizemore

I couldn't believe a guy like Sexson went ahead of Konerko (my 4th pick) or Randy went ahead of Webb (my 7th). And a closer taken in the 3rd round? Jump back!

Look at their 2005 numbers. I don't see anything outrageous about those picks.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BritSox » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:49 pm

Iconoclastic wrote:So you guys are going by hindsight that since there are lots of great Cs to be had in the late rounds that you should draft other positions? What about Corey Patterson, jason giambi, tons of breakout pitchers, Justin Morneau, Jermaine Dye, Troy Glaus, etc. By the same logic you can wait on those positions too. I feel catchers are getting a bad rep for being the baseball equivalent of kickers in football. I consider the injury risk in my valuations, but studs like Victor Martinez are absolutely worth a 4th or 5th round pick. He still has room to improve and .300 30 100 upside from a thin position should not be underestimated.

Jason Giambi was not available in the last round. He usually went in the early double-figure rounds. Glaus went in single-figure rounds. Dye, for some reason, WAS often around late. Even so, if he made it to the last round and you couldn't take him because you needed a catcher, it's your own fault for not taking him the round before.

Given the inherent injury risk, and the fact that catchers age faster than any other position (so by the time a guy's become a 'name' he's a year or two from falling off a cliff) I'm still a huge fan of the last round catcher, and not just because i got McCann in half my leagues. Though i think taking Vmart in the fourth or fifth is a lot more defensible, given his age and clear talent, than drafting a middle-round name like Posada or Pudge.

Looking back at 05, Varitek was the ONLY catcher in most top 10's that was worth his draft position. Vmart put up good numbers for half a season, but given how high he was going was disappointing, Mauer had knee trouble, Javy Lopez got hurt, Ramon Hernandez got hurt...this year, he's the single biggest bust. See what i mean?
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby mikekim2121 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:59 pm

On the idea of drafting catchers early, I'm not for it. But I have to say that I am very pleased with Mauers production (I didnt draft Vmart). But even his high avg factors less for my team in the standings just cause he plays 5 out of 7 games, not like 6.5 out of 7 like other position players.
mikekim2121
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Laean » Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:53 pm

i think the difference is this:

including the breakout hitters, there are more than 12 pretty much equal catchers available in a typical mixed 12 team league. that makes it ineffective to draft vmart or mauer in the 3rd-5th round, when you can just pick up a willingham/mccann/estrada/pierzynski off the FA. on the other hand, there aren't more than 36 pretty much equal OFers. if you don't end up using a 5th round pick on vernon wells, you're going to end up with torii hunter. if you don't end up using a 3rd round pick on konerko, you're going to end up with overbay.

didn't draft vmart in 3rd round and got berkman instead? oh well, just pick up mccann/willingham/estrada. oh wait, you did draft vmart in 3rd instead of a berkman? ok, then enjoy your hunter. i guess if you're lucky, you might have been able to trade for a dye early on the season, but i doubt anyone had the foresight to do that.
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Philliebuster » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:21 pm

Here's how the catchers rank based on points scored in my league, based on pretty standard scoring:

Mauer, Joe C MIN 317.5
Martinez, Victor J. C CLE 275
Hernandez, Ramon C BAL 239
McCann, Brian C ATL 230.5
Posada, Jorge C NYY 227
Barrett, Michael C CHC 227
Johjima, Kenji C SEA 220
Lo Duca, Paul C NYM 219
Rodriguez, Ivan C DET 211.5
Estrada, Johnny C ARI 206.5
Pierzynski, A.J. C CHW 200.5
Willingham, Josh C FLA 194.5
Martin, Russell C LA 192
Piazza, Mike C SD 190
Kendall, Jason C OAK 183.5

If my C is getting 100 more points than the bottom ranked C (15 team league) then that is a great value as far as the C position goes. There's not that great a differential in alot of the other positions, therefore I'll be keeping VMart again for next season.
Philliebuster
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers