who drafted victor martinez? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

who drafted victor martinez?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

who drafted victor martinez?

Postby gforce1124 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:32 pm

in retrospect, does anyone regret drafting victor martinez this year? sure, he's been one of the best C around, but you couldve waited until the last round and gotten a loduca or mccann probably. in most leagues, victor was gone by round 4 or 5. i know in my league this year, jeter, sizemore, utley, etc all went in round 4. will anyone draft a C in the first 10 rounds next year? will anyone keep a catcher? even if you have someone like mauer, surely you'd be better served by waiting, and grabbing a stud, no? i think it makes even more sense when you figure in the injury risk. am i misguided here? i know people have been talking about this for years, but i feel its even more pronounced now with the emergence of catcers like barrett, estrada, mccann, ross, etc.
gforce1124
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Belle4Hall88 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:34 pm

i drafted him in round 5, and I am very happy with his production. I have just had him sitting in my lineup all year and have not had to worry about the catcher posistion.
Belle4Hall88 Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby fbc_fan » Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:38 pm

sigh...i took vmart with the 26th pick in one of my leagues just because i like the guy and there was nothing else that i felt like reaching for. probably not the best pick, as i could have waited and gotten mccann or hernandez in the last round, but i do like vmart and compensated for drafting him that high by having a very solid draft for the remaining rounds. that team is in first, but i probably could have gotten a more productive stud at that draft spot. generally though, a case can be made for not drafting a 2b, ss or c in the first 10 or so rounds and stocking up on more productive players at other positions, then just grabbing those players from the right end of the defensive spectrum in the teen rounds. unless you get someone like utley, most of the 2bs are equivalent in value. same goes for the SS and Cs.

there is another thread on this topic called "are catchers worthless" or something similar to that where there was a lengthy discussion about exactly what you're talking about. just run a search and you'll probably find what i'm talking about. that or just go back a page or two.
thanks to madison/go_jays_go for the slick sig!
fbc_fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby tinfoilxtouch » Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:45 pm

Since I drafted McCann in the 20th round of all my leagues, I would be very upset if i reached for Vmart in any of them.
tinfoilxtouch
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby gforce1124 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:53 pm

i dont think its as much that catchers are worthless (although obviously not as productive as the other positions), i was commenting more that the position is supringly deeper than in years past. i just feel why waste an early pick if you can grab someone with 10 less runs, 20 less rbi, 5 less homers, etc. than the position leader.
gforce1124
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jonesbros » Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:59 pm

I grabbed him in the 3rd round having overvalued the position and undervalued the depth at the position. I have since traded him and now have McCann sitting pretty and putting up nice numbers. I could have probably gotten MCab or Berkman at round 3 instead. Heck, with guys like Pierczynski, Estrada and Wllingham still on the ww, it is quite clear there are still plenty of good catchers to be had even after the draft.
C- McCann
1B- Morneau
2B- Roberts
3B- Zimm
SS- Renteria
LF- MCab
RF- Francouer
CF- DRoberts
OF- Podsednik
Util- FThomas
BN
Konerko
Aurilia
Hafner

P
Webb
Lackey
ESantana
JWeaver
MCain
Garland
FCordero
Otsuka
Kasmir (DL)
jonesbros
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Thursday » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:05 pm

Same idea. I steered clear of catchers till 2 rounds left in my draft, and landed Barrett. He's just been a draft-it and forget-it guy. The commish of my league kept victor going into this season (we only keep 4), and so far, he's in 4th.

I'd say steer clear of Victor, Mauer, and i'll even go so far to say McCann going into next season.
Thursday
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby activechamp2006 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:15 pm

Thursday wrote:Same idea. I steered clear of catchers till 2 rounds left in my draft, and landed Barrett. He's just been a draft-it and forget-it guy. The commish of my league kept victor going into this season (we only keep 4), and so far, he's in 4th.

I'd say steer clear of Victor, Mauer, and i'll even go so far to say McCann going into next season.

victor honestly cant get much worse.. the only way he can go is up.. i think in a deep keeper league hes a great player to have, considering catchers are far and few between.. but in a single season league, you can wait to draft a catcher like him.. i see a break out year for him next season though, so watch out.. he and the whole cleveland team should have a great season next year.
activechamp2006
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BritSox » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:19 pm

jonesbros wrote:I grabbed him in the 3rd round having overvalued the position and undervalued the depth at the position. I have since traded him and now have McCann sitting pretty and putting up nice numbers. I could have probably gotten MCab or Berkman at round 3 instead. Heck, with guys like Pierczynski, Estrada and Wllingham still on the ww, it is quite clear there are still plenty of good catchers to be had even after the draft.

In my main league, a guy took him in the second. Unfortunately, he's leading by 20 roto points, and believes this justifies the decision (apparently 'the dropoff from VMart to everyone else is just too great,') and if i try to argue otherwise, says 'and where are you?' (I'm the guy with basicalyl every single big injury bust pitcher).

Btw- no way MCab lasted to the third. Didn't make it past the middle of the second in a single league i played in, good or bad.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby DSheppard » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:22 pm

I did.

then i traded him and sheffield for tex and varitek.

if sheffield hadnt gotten hurt that would have been quite the bad trade, but he did get hurt.
DSheppard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers