More info on Boston closer situation - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

More info on Boston closer situation

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

More info on Boston closer situation

Postby jdh » Thu Sep 04, 2003 1:23 am

Apparently it will be closer by committee this weekend against the Yankees, so you may want to bench Kim for the weekend in case he comes in in the middle innings and messes something up which he always tends to do against the Yanks

Byung-Hyun Kim (P) BOS 9/3/2003
The Red Sox' Web site reports that manager Grady Little will use a closer-by-committee in this weekend's series against the Yankees. Meanwhile, Kim came into Wednesday night's game in the ninth inning of a tie game, pitching two scoreless innings in Boston's 5-4 victory over Chicago. Kim (7-4) gave up two hits and struck out two. The final out gave Red Sox nation heart palpitations as Joe Crede's opposite field fly took Gabe Kapler back to the wall. It appears as if manager Grady Little is no longer gun shy about using Kim in high-pressure situations.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby eftda » Thu Sep 04, 2003 1:27 am

This just in: Kim cant close a game when pitching against the Yankees.

Please see the 2001 world series, games 3,4,5...

Did kim pitch in game 5? I dont know.... i know he blew 3,4 but i am not sure about game 5
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Thu Sep 04, 2003 1:34 am

What a confidence booster for Kim: "You can close, but not against the Yankees!". What a sad state of affairs that is. :-/
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby eftda » Thu Sep 04, 2003 1:35 am

HAHAHAHA

i laughed so hard when he gave up that homerun to Jeter
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jdh » Thu Sep 04, 2003 1:37 am

I agree that it's incredibly stupid, and will probably come back to bite them. You need to have one closer that your bullpen works its way too. If they wind up playing the Yankees in the playoffs, they can't go and run a closer committee in the playoffs like that. Either they have confidence in Kim as their closer, or they don't have confidence in him so they appoint a new closer. Changing your closer based on the team you face is just idiotic and playing into superstitions more than anything else.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Madison » Thu Sep 04, 2003 1:39 am

jdh wrote:I agree that it's incredibly stupid, and will probably come back to bite them. You need to have one closer that your bullpen works its way too. If they wind up playing the Yankees in the playoffs, they can't go and run a closer committee in the playoffs like that. Either they have confidence in Kim as their closer, or they don't have confidence in him so they appoint a new closer. Changing your closer based on the team you face is just idiotic and playing into superstitions more than anything else.

I agree. ;-D

Now you know that if by some wacky chance they actually play and beat the Yanks in the playoffs this thread will come back to bite us in the posterior, right? Lol. :-b
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Grenade Teeth » Thu Sep 04, 2003 11:07 am

Why didn't they let Kim start once they got Williamson?
Grenade Teeth
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby jdh » Thu Sep 04, 2003 11:21 am

Probably two reasons. One, it's a bad idea to constantly change pitcher's roles in the middle of the season like that because it takes adjustment and makes them susceptible to injury, and Kim had already changed from starter to closer once this year. Second, they made the trade for Suppan, and they still have Fossum and Arroyo, so they don't really need another starter. Their setup relief was and still is their biggest problem. Plus, Williamson has pitched very poorly since going to the Red Sox; and has been far worse than Kim.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby benjapage » Thu Sep 04, 2003 1:20 pm

nobody wanted to listen to me, but i mentioned on one of the other bk threads that williamson is a huge late-inning liability. i watched it with the reds, and now i see it with the sox. even when the man--and i love the man--gets it done, he does so by loading the bases or putting one on before a wild pitch, hit-batter and a deep fly-out...

it's like watching a monkey use small tools. usually he can do it, but it's frequently hard to watch.

b
yeah, yes...
benjapage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Madison » Thu Sep 04, 2003 1:45 pm

benjapage wrote:it's like watching a monkey use small tools. usually he can do it, but it's frequently hard to watch.

b

Lol. :-b
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Return to Baseball Leftovers