nomar garciaparra? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

nomar garciaparra?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

nomar garciaparra?

Postby bigmoney » Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:18 pm

I read this article about Kent and Nomar both coming back off the DL: http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/sp ... 235956.php

in it, it says "[Grady] Little said he has spoken with Kent about playing first base on occasion when he returns. That option would give Little flexibility in accommodating a crowded infield picture featuring new acquisitions Wilson Betemit and Julio Lugo, Rafael Furcal, Kent and Garciaparra."

If Kent's playing 1B, is Nomar going back to shortstop? And will Grady Little use a platoon system? Both possibilities would be awful news for Garciaparra owners.
bigmoney
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Loveable Losers » Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:45 pm

From what I've heard here at the Cafe Betemit will start at 3b, Furcal at ss, Kent at 2b and Garciaparra at 1b. However, Lugo will get to play when people get days off. He could fill in for Kent at 2b and Furcal at ss. If they wanted to give Garciaparra a day off Kent could slide to 1b and have Lugo play 2b. I'm not sure if Lugo could spell Betemit at 3b or not though.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby StudentOfTheGame » Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:06 pm

The Loveable Losers wrote:From what I've heard here at the Cafe Betemit will start at 3b, Furcal at ss, Kent at 2b and Garciaparra at 1b. However, Lugo will get to play when people get days off. He could fill in for Kent at 2b and Furcal at ss. If they wanted to give Garciaparra a day off Kent could slide to 1b and have Lugo play 2b. I'm not sure if Lugo could spell Betemit at 3b or not though.

I heard Lugo will play center field....No way they take a .300 hitter(nomar) out of the lineup.
StudentOfTheGame
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby chinst » Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:10 pm

Supposedly, Lugo could also get some starts in the OF...

This stinks for Lugp, who doesn't like the idea of being a utility player, but would make for some nice eligibility next season when he signs somewhere that actually has a spot for him to play...
chinst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Loveable Losers » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:09 am

StudentOfTheGame wrote:
The Loveable Losers wrote:From what I've heard here at the Cafe Betemit will start at 3b, Furcal at ss, Kent at 2b and Garciaparra at 1b. However, Lugo will get to play when people get days off. He could fill in for Kent at 2b and Furcal at ss. If they wanted to give Garciaparra a day off Kent could slide to 1b and have Lugo play 2b. I'm not sure if Lugo could spell Betemit at 3b or not though.

I heard Lugo will play center field....No way they take a .300 hitter(nomar) out of the lineup.

I hadn't heard anything about Lugo playing in the outfield but it certainly wouldn't contradict anything I've heard about the infield. In fact it would make a lot of sense. They're going to use Lugo as an everyday supersub...Betemit, Lofton, Kent, Nomar and Furcal will probably get a day off every week or so and Lugo will play take the place in the lineup of whomever is out that day.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby chinst » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:30 pm

The Loveable Losers wrote:
StudentOfTheGame wrote:

I hadn't heard anything about Lugo playing in the outfield but it certainly wouldn't contradict anything I've heard about the infield. In fact it would make a lot of sense. They're going to use Lugo as an everyday supersub...Betemit, Lofton, Kent, Nomar and Furcal will probably get a day off every week or so and Lugo will play take the place in the lineup of whomever is out that day.

TONY JACKSON LA Daily News wrote:Dodgers manager Grady Little met with newly acquired infielder Julio Lugo on Friday to gauge his willingness to play the outfield, something he has done just 14 times in his career and not at all since 2001.

Although the move isn't definite, Lugo agreed to make it if asked.

With left fielder Andre Ethier a Rookie of the Year candidate and veteran J.D. Drew a fixture in right, that would seem to leave only center field for Lugo.
chinst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Loveable Losers » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:35 pm

I wonder if they'll platoon Lugo with Lofton and then play Lugo in the infield when Lofton's in the lineup. :-?
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bigmoney » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:56 pm

im looking at wilson betemit's stats, he doesnt look that good, why wouldnt they just use him as utility?
bigmoney
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Injuries & Player Updates