STRATEGY TIME....... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

STRATEGY TIME.......

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

STRATEGY TIME.......

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Sep 04, 2003 12:12 am

I am in the playoffs in my HTH league. Currently, I am up 7-2 in a 5X5 scenario. I know it is early in the week, but here are the cats and numbers so far:

Runs: Me by 1
HR: Him by 4
RBI: Me by 1
SB: Me by 4
AVG: Me by .082
Wins: Me by 4
SV: Me by 3 (he has no closers)
K: Tied
ERA: Me by 0.79
WHIP: Him by 0.08 (1.03-1.11)

He has no closers and 7 more starters going for him while I only have Harden @ TB and Perez @ Col. My 2 are no starts (benches). :-t At least Perez, that is. That said, I am thinking about doing some benching. I thought about benching my hitters for the week thus losing the offensive cats 3-2 (with me winning AVG and SB's). I know that this is tricky but he has a lot of work to do to catch me there. My real problems lie with the pitching. He has the following starters going:

Franklin @ TB
Webb @ SF
Williams vs. Ari
Sheets vs. Chi
Reynolds vs. Pit
Maddux vs. Pit
May @ Ana

I will concede the K's but I feel that his whip will go up with those starts. I am also not sure if he will get the wins but that is tricky. If I win wins, ERA, WHIP, and SV, then I will win 6-4.

I know that I am overanalyzing this stuff so should I just play my hitters and bench the 2 starters? Any other suggestions? I wanna play this right and not maneuver myself out of the playoffs.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Thu Sep 04, 2003 12:15 am

I'd start my hitters and start Harden. Bench Perez. Then make sure you say your prayers. :-b Good luck.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Sep 04, 2003 12:18 am

Madison wrote:I'd start my hitters and start Harden. Bench Perez. Then make sure you say your prayers. :-b Good luck.

Thanks. I was DEFINITELY going to bench Perez. If I start Harden, it will be only to get a win while potentially messing up my ERA and WHIP. I am conceding K's. You would still start Harden?
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Thu Sep 04, 2003 12:23 am

I really hate to punt a catagory, but yea, I guess I'd go ahead and bench Harden as well. Even if he pitches lights out it probably won't help you any, but if he gets rocked it would sink you. As much as I don't like it, in your spot, I'd bench Harden as well.

I looked at it again, who are your closers? A good start from Harden could outweigh a bad outing by one of your closers.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ramble2 » Thu Sep 04, 2003 12:27 am

First of all, stick with your hitters. It's too early in the week to sit them.

Second of all, Harden doesn't pitch until Friday. See how your opponent's pitchers do tomorrow. I think that you would probably be safe to start Harden and go for the win. My guess is that with his pitching staff he'll see his ERA and WHIP go up, and that a single start from Harden won't hurt you too bad.

So check back in tomorrow after the games and let us know where you stand.

Good luck!
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Brokentusks9 » Thu Sep 04, 2003 12:55 am

What is your batting average? You're only winning by .082 and unless you're batting something ridiculously high I wouldn't bench my hitters in the hopes that he will hit for a low average.

Who's on his team, a bunch of fatties? 4 Stolen Bases isn't impossible for him to catch you in...

But if you're sure you could win AVG and SB you might as well bench your batters because looking at Pitching -- you could still win/tie in Wins (He'd have to win 4 games out of 7 starts.. Possible, but not likely) and then you'd most likely win ERA & WHIP; if he started all 7, good chance that could wreck those categories for him. Which would put you at 2-3 in Batting & quite possibly 4-1 in Pitching.

What is your ERA? That would help in determining whether or not you should try to pull this off, but at any rate I wish you the best. ;-D
Brokentusks9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Sep 04, 2003 7:29 am

Madison wrote:I looked at it again, who are your closers? A good start from Harden could outweigh a bad outing by one of your closers.

I have Mantei, Kim, Hasegawa, and Kolb. I also hate punting a cat but unless each of his starters goes an inning each, I am going to lose the K's easily. IMHO, his WHIP will go up a little from where it is now and I am not sure that he can catch me in ERA.
Lofunzo

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Sep 04, 2003 7:35 am

ramble2 wrote:First of all, stick with your hitters. It's too early in the week to sit them.

Second of all, Harden doesn't pitch until Friday. See how your opponent's pitchers do tomorrow. I think that you would probably be safe to start Harden and go for the win. My guess is that with his pitching staff he'll see his ERA and WHIP go up, and that a single start from Harden won't hurt you too bad.

So check back in tomorrow after the games and let us know where you stand.

Good luck!

I was kind of thinking out loud with the hitters thing. The problem with Harden is that he has 1 pitcher (Franklin) going today and 3 tomorrow (according to Yahoo, Webb isn't pitching Friday anymore). If I wait to see, I will miss Harden's spot. Then, he's got May and Maddux on Saturday and Ponson on Sunday. Thanks.

Brokentusks9 wrote:What is your batting average? You're only winning by .082 and unless you're batting something ridiculously high I wouldn't bench my hitters in the hopes that he will hit for a low average.

Who's on his team, a bunch of fatties? 4 Stolen Bases isn't impossible for him to catch you in...

But if you're sure you could win AVG and SB you might as well bench your batters because looking at Pitching -- you could still win/tie in Wins (He'd have to win 4 games out of 7 starts.. Possible, but not likely) and then you'd most likely win ERA & WHIP; if he started all 7, good chance that could wreck those categories for him. Which would put you at 2-3 in Batting & quite possibly 4-1 in Pitching.

What is your ERA? That would help in determining whether or not you should try to pull this off, but at any rate I wish you the best. ;-D

I am winning in AVG right now .296-.210. I don't know if I would have had the balls to do it but he would have to hit out of his shoes to catch me there, even if it is early. He pretty much has Beltran as his source of steals while I have Pierre, Pods, Abreu, and Furcal. I THINK that I am pretty safe there.

As for the pitching, he got a late night win last night so it is now 6-3 there. The ERA is 1.64-2.43. Not a huge lead but .79 to play with.

I think that I am resigned to testing my luck with batting knowing that I COULD win in runs and/or RBI and will PROBABLY win in AVG.

Thanks for the insight.
Lofunzo

Postby Madison » Thu Sep 04, 2003 10:03 am

Lofunzo wrote:
Madison wrote:I looked at it again, who are your closers? A good start from Harden could outweigh a bad outing by one of your closers.

I have Mantei, Kim, Hasegawa, and Kolb. I also hate punting a cat but unless each of his starters goes an inning each, I am going to lose the K's easily. IMHO, his WHIP will go up a little from where it is now and I am not sure that he can catch me in ERA.

Closers look good, but I'd bench Kim for the series against the Yankees.
Last edited by Madison on Thu Sep 04, 2003 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Brokentusks9 » Thu Sep 04, 2003 12:09 pm

Wheres Lofunzo at? Have you decided anything?

Keep us updated, I want to know how it turns out! ;-D
Brokentusks9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers