Matt Cain - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Matt Cain

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby bigmoney » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:23 am

i'm gonna take a chance with this guy. since july, he hasn't been TOO erratic...

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/749 ... K7XreFCLcF
bigmoney
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kbarre » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:49 am

i'm gonna take a chance with this guy. since july, he hasn't been TOO erratic...

Not at all! I have him in a H2H keeper league, and picked him up last season. He was fairly erratic the first half, which is to be expected. Other than maybe one or two shaky outings, he's been awesome since the all-star break.

People like to bash Cain's control, but he's got well over 100 K's and only 60 walks, so I think that's certainly in his favor.

If you're in a keeper league, pick him up. He's saved many weeks for me in the last couple of months.
kbarre
College Coach
College Coach

Postby StudentOfTheGame » Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:09 pm

I've had Cain all season and I must say that his control is inconsistant at best...If he's not walking guys, he is using 8 pitches to get them out...However, when he is on, he is unhittable..He's come close to a no hitter on more than one occasion this season. My only complaint about him now is he needs to be more effecient with his pitches....He has to leave in the 5th or 6th inning way too often because of pitch count...

Although I've never seen him throw 100 mph, Cain does have awesome stuff. He has alot going for him including where he pitches, the defense behind him, and what division he plays in. He should be solid the rest of the way.
StudentOfTheGame
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby kbarre » Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:33 pm

He has to leave in the 5th or 6th inning way too often because of pitch count...

Last 4 starts:
2-2

28.4 Innings Pitched (7.1 innings per game)

31 K's (7.9 per game)

9 BB's (2.25 per game)

3+ K/BB ratio

Tack on his July 16th start and numbers climb even more. His control is solid, he's pitching later in games, and he isn't walking guys. As far as him throwing 100, he is consistently clocked anywhere from 95-98, and I'm fairly certain I've read somewhere he was clocked at 100....

Besides the big boy rookies (Liriano, Verlander, Weaver), I think you have to put Cain just behind them as far as potential for next year (I also like the fact that Cain had a little more seasoning in the 2005 season, which bodes well for that "sophomore slump" I think some of those big three rookies will see next season).
kbarre
College Coach
College Coach

Postby AdvRider » Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:17 pm

pangbones wrote:Pitching against the Rockies will make you look real good. Cain has been up and down all year. No surprises there. He's got a lot of potential, just needs to be more consistent.

Agreed, and don't overlook that the Giants' offense is anything but giant. Cain can pitch a three-hit complete game and lose 1-0.

Or if the Giants do manage to take a lead into the ninth, out trots Benitez to blow it ... :-o :-o

Cain can deliver in Ks, ERA & WHIP but I don't think you can bank on him for a lotta Ws.
AdvRider
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 17)

Postby bigmoney » Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:26 pm

AdvRider wrote:Cain can deliver in Ks, ERA & WHIP but I don't think you can bank on him for a lotta Ws.

keyword: CAN

but a lotta times wont
bigmoney
College Coach
College Coach

Postby kbarre » Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:36 pm

keyword: CAN

but a lotta times wont

Well, if you look up three posts, his last 5 starts he actually HAS delivered in all those categories.

Reading:

Some CAN, but WON'T. lol. Just messing around....
kbarre
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates