Cory Lidle - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cory Lidle

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:28 pm

raygunpunx wrote:
Dawgpound 1613 wrote:Billy did it while still in Philly. The were brought back up after he left upon his return to Philly with the Mets. But he didn't make them going out the door like Lidle.

You sure about that??

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5585756

Did you read the article?

Last July, Wagner said the Phillies "ain't got a chance" of making the playoffs and criticized his teammates for not having enough intensity, saying they quit when they got behind.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby raygunpunx » Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:32 pm

More like did you read the article

Wagner told The Philadelphia Inquirer for Sunday's editions that he was not well-liked in the Phillies clubhouse, his former teammates were waiting to see him fail and left fielder Pat Burrell called him a "rat" during a midseason team meeting last year.
raygunpunx
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:35 pm

giants! wrote:
Dawgpound 1613 wrote:Billy did it while still in Philly. The were brought back up after he left upon his return to Philly with the Mets. But he didn't make them going out the door like Lidle.

Isnt it worse to make degrading comments while you are still there, rather than while you are leaving. If you make the comments when you are leaving, it looks like payback, not heartfelt feelings.

In my opinion, things like Wagner and Lidle said shouldn't be made to the media at all. But if you are going to do it, do it when they have a chance to confront you on it. Doing it as you walk out the door is the p@$$y thing to do - and is when you see players like Rhodes calling him on it. For the former, it is a chance to meet with the player and possibly address concerns. For the latter, it accomplishes nothing but hard feelings.

For Wagner, they called a meeting, may or may not have called him a "rat", but they were able to speak with him face-to-face and clear the air since people have been known to get misquoted in papers. Didn't do any good, but it still had a better chance of accomplishing a positive than Lidle's comments.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby TheYanks04 » Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:38 pm

raygunpunx wrote:More like did you read the article

Wagner told The Philadelphia Inquirer for Sunday's editions that he was not well-liked in the Phillies clubhouse, his former teammates were waiting to see him fail and left fielder Pat Burrell called him a "rat" during a midseason team meeting last year.

So? I fail to see what this has to do with anything. Lots of players are not liked by their teammates. And lots of teams have guys that do not try hard enough. It would have been better or Wagner to keep such things out of the press, but what is the point? That Wagner was vocal in his beliefs? That Lidle should have done the same thing and stuk his neck out too? That Lidle is taking shots after the fact and should keep his mouth shut since he was quiet in Philly? Why?
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby raygunpunx » Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:38 pm

Are you still standing by your statement that he never said anything about Philly while he has been on the Mets?
raygunpunx
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:41 pm

raygunpunx wrote:More like did you read the article

You are kidding, correct? I even quoted it for you.

The link you posted provided the story upon Wagner returning to Philly and the reaction and Wagner just adding on to what he had said in July. But the link still recites that Billy called out his teammates WHILE HE WAS STILL WITH THE TEAM - which is my point. I couldn't find the link to the story, but at least here is a link with the news article.

http://www.baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?t=30654

I agree that his new comments were "after he left", but they were in reference to things he did and made public WHILE HE WAS ON THE TEAM - not after he signed as a free agent.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:46 pm

raygunpunx wrote:Are you still standing by your statement that he never said anything about Philly while he has been on the Mets?

If you can quote me where I supposedly stated that Wagner "never said anything about Philly while he has been on the Mets" then I'll address that.

I said he made his comments about his teammates while he was still in Philly and they were brought back up upon his return to Philly while on the Mets. He added to them, yes. But why they were brought back up was because of his original comments calling his teammates out in July 2005.

Reading comprehension is a wonderful thing.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby raygunpunx » Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:53 pm

You said Wagner talked while he was in Philly and Lidle should have done the same thing. Wagner brought up new things while on the Mets. According to your logic no matter what Wagner said it is not the same because he said some things while in Philly.

The point is he said new things that were totally different then things he said back in Philly.

Hooked on Phonics is a wonderful thing
raygunpunx
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby DK » Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:45 pm

raygunpunx wrote:You said Wagner talked while he was in Philly and Lidle should have done the same thing. Wagner brought up new things while on the Mets. According to your logic no matter what Wagner said it is not the same because he said some things while in Philly.

The point is he said new things that were totally different then things he said back in Philly.

Hooked on Phonics is a wonderful thing

Usually, when people ask you questions about stuff you've already commented on, you answer them. Wagner's not a no-comment guy, so he elaborated.

Besides, in the end I'm pretty sure Wagner doesn't care what you think. I'm pretty sure he can't hear you over the $43 million coming out of his ears.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby raygunpunx » Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:47 pm

Look I don't give a damn what Wagner said or what Lidle said. Thats whats great about living in a free country. The point of this topic was talking about Lidle as a pitcher not about what he said.

Then because Met fans are totally consumed about the Yankees a Met fan brings this up. Then instead of both of you agreeing that Wagner made the same type of comments you do your best to spin this.

Maybe you should give Karl Rove a call

Next time try and stay on the topic of the post
raygunpunx
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers