Michael Kay - Wow - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Michael Kay - Wow

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Jbyrdo » Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:57 pm

The comments at the bottom of the article or whatever are hilarious.
Jbyrdo
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:15 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:He may have gone a little over the top, but he's absolutely correct, and really, this is a non-issue.

I agree.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Half Massed » Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:43 am

Wow, now there's a guy who has to be right all the time...

How do you effectively argue with someone like that? Obviously logic wouldn't work. I'm guessing just repeating "it's baseball etiquette" over and over isn't the solution though. ;-7
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby teddy ballgame » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:01 am

So was he calling the game last night? ;-7

Btw, everyone on ESPN was commenting on the no-hit bid, and were playing highlights of his perfect game when it was still in the 7th, before it was over.

Also, MLB.com always puts up "So and so perfect through 6" or something if anyone is making a bid.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby He who did Wright » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:11 am

On the Yankees White Sox game Kay was telling a nice story.

During a (very rare) tough stretch for the Yankees, Paul O'Neill said to him something like, "Interview me. Maybe that'll change our luck." After that, O'Neill did every pregame interview the rest of the way, culminating in the Yankees sweeping the Padres in the World Series.

Kay then uttered the following: "You know what the crazy thing is? Paul still didn't want to do the interview, even though he knew it was good luck."
Carnivale, the best show that was on television.
He who did Wright
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:14 pm

teddy ballgame wrote:Btw, everyone on ESPN was commenting on the no-hit bid, and were playing highlights of his perfect game when it was still in the 7th, before it was over.

Also, MLB.com always puts up "So and so perfect through 6" or something if anyone is making a bid.

As it should be. ESPN isn't in the business of upholding ridiculous baseball traditions, it's in the business of reporting sports news to its viewers.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby teddy ballgame » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:27 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
teddy ballgame wrote:Btw, everyone on ESPN was commenting on the no-hit bid, and were playing highlights of his perfect game when it was still in the 7th, before it was over.

As it should be. ESPN isn't in the business of upholding ridiculous baseball traditions, it's in the business of reporting sports news to its viewers.

I agree...whether or not the guy says he has a perfect game/no hitter doesn't effect anyone on the field. Neither does anyone posting at the Cafe that a guy has a perfect game.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby giants! » Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:44 pm

teddy ballgame wrote:So was he calling the game last night? ;-7

Btw, everyone on ESPN was commenting on the no-hit bid, and were playing highlights of his perfect game when it was still in the 7th, before it was over.

I was watchng the whole game on Yes and I didnt even realize he had a no hittter until the end of the 6th. Kay was definitely low key about it, constantly hinting at it but never really going in depth about it.
giants!
General Manager
General Manager

Postby MMoNeY24 » Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:52 pm

Kay was kind of dancing around it, but mentioned it a few times.

I agree with comments in the thread and don't believe in the jinx crap. I just thought it was ridiculous since baseball etiquitte has zero relation, even metaphorically, to slaves and the holocaust.
MMoNeY24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:55 pm

Until anyone can show me that saying nothing gets a no-no or a perfect game 100% of the time and saying something always jinxes it, I see nothing wrong with an announcer, channel, news outlet mentioining it.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk