matt garza - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

matt garza

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

matt garza

Postby bsblallstr » Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:35 pm

well what is this guys future for this year, i know the organization doesnt want him up in the bigs, but the big league team does, and they need a fifth starter, is he going to be brought up, or are they going to keep him in triple A the rest of the year.
Reyes and guerrero, the two most blessed players in the league, not to mention the most fun to watch
bsblallstr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Big Train » Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:50 am

He was dominate again for the Red Wings last night and according to this article, could get a spot start Friday against the Blue Jays.

BY JASON WILLIAMS
Pioneer Press

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — The Twins are down to worrying mostly about the fifth spot in the starting rotation.

The organization was freed of a big burden Friday afternoon when rookie sensation Francisco Liriano threw a pain-free bullpen session.

Liriano said he did not feel any pain in his forearm, keeping the Cy Young Award candidate on track to make Monday's scheduled start at Detroit.

"Perfect," said Liriano, adding that he threw all three of his pitches during the 15-minute session. "I'm ready to go. I feel stronger with that (extra) rest."

The Twins skipped Liriano in the rotation Wednesday after a muscle near his elbow became inflamed. That was more bad news in a tumultuous week for the starting rotation, leaving the Twins concerned about how long they could stay in the wild-card hunt.

Things could be looking up after veteran Brad Radke's ailing shoulder held up in a strong outing Thursday, and Liriano did not experience a setback Friday.

"That's pretty encouraging," pitching coach Rick Anderson said. "Let's see if we can get it going again."

The Twins turn their focus to the fifth spot in the rotation. Minor league journeyman Mike Smith is the latest to get a crack at holding down that job when the right-hander makes his scheduled Twins debut Sunday against Kansas City.

If Smith struggles, hotshot prospect Matt Garza could make his big-league debut Friday against Toronto at the Metrodome. That is the next time the fifth spot in the rotation comes up.

Garza continued to make his case for a call up during Friday night's start for Class AAA Rochester. He pitched seven shutout innings, allowing four hits and striking out 11 in the Red Wings' 8-0 victory on a 96-degree night in Charlotte, N.C.

In five starts since being promoted to Rochester, Garza is 3-1 with a 1.85 earned-run average. He leads all the minor leagues in victories (14) and strikeouts (154).

Minor league coordinator Jim Rantz indicated Friday afternoon that the Twins could make a decision to promote Garza based on the outing. The organization has wanted Garza to throw more breaking pitches before making a decision.

"This one will be the key start for him to see if he has taken on that situation as far as using all his pitches," Rantz said.
Image + Image = 762

"Trying to hit him was like trying to drink coffee with a fork." - Willie Stargell on Sandy Koufax
The Big Train
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby KTM » Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:18 pm

In this recent outing he did throw his off speed stuff as instructed. Pulling for the Twins and would really like to see this guy brought up.
KTM
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Chuckles » Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:38 pm

I'll keep an eye out! ;-D
If you can help:

viewtopic.php?f=94&t=313880

Thanks!!!

It's not the size of the dog in a fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog!"
Chuckles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:32 am

as of right now i think you could pretty much expect him to be called up for friday...i live in minnesota and have been following this story very closely, from a few different sources i've read that if smith doesn't do well on sunday (which he didn't only lasting 3 innings against the royals) then garza would get his chance...while i feel they could have brought him up a lot sooner it looks as though he will finally get his chance

also gardy has really been pushing for him to be brought up and it looks as though he will finally get his chance...and should get plenty more then just a couple of starts with the coach behind him

the only problem i see here is if they did bring him up he would have to face toronto in his major league debut...i'm sure no one is thrilled about that...not sure if it's enough to keep him down but knowing the twins and how slow they are with their prospects it just might be :-t
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby joselnceldran » Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:59 am

who would you compare him to in terms of "stuff"... would any twins fans enlighten us...
joselnceldran
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Big Train » Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:52 am

I'm always reluctant to make comparisons, but in terms of his stuf, he has an overpowering fastball (mid/high 90's) and his breaking stuff is quite good with a mid-80's slider and a high 70s curveball. But as mentioned above he seems reluctant to throw the breaking stuff on a regular basis given that he has had success simply thowing the ball by hitters.

Apparently, he has an outstanding work ethic and shows a great deal of maturity for is age so there doesn't appear to be any head problems here.

The video link below isn't great as it's of a pre-game bullpen session rather than a game but you'll get the idea...after the bullpen session he went 7.2 IP, 1 hit, 2 walks, 13 K's. 8-o

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-809254871100181331
Image + Image = 762

"Trying to hit him was like trying to drink coffee with a fork." - Willie Stargell on Sandy Koufax
The Big Train
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby LoveBoatCaptain » Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:00 pm

To update this story, Matt Garza will reportedly be called up some time before Friday's game against the Toronto Blue Jays. Early reports tell me that Mike Smith will get the start again with Garza coming out of the bullpen.

Should the Twins make the playoffs, the expected rotation is:

SANTANA
RADKE
LIRIANO
GARZA
SILVA

This depends a lot on how Garza actually performs in the majors when he is eventually called up, but the Twins are expecting him to help for a playoff push from everything I hear from within the organization.
LoveBoatCaptain
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Postby devastor » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:00 pm

Liriano is going on the DL. So garza will get the call up ASAP. The key here is to see if he pitches in Triple A tomorrow night! If not he will pitch Friday as a TWIN!!
devastor
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby devastor » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:00 pm

Liriano is going on the DL. So garza will get the call up ASAP. The key here is to see if he pitches in Triple A tomorrow night! If not he will pitch Friday as a TWIN!!
devastor
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates