Innings pitched - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Innings pitched

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Innings pitched

Postby pangbones » Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:11 pm

It is August now and the Innings are piling up for all these young pitchers. I'm very concerned about Verlander who is being skipped tomorrow because of arm fatigue. He has now surpassed his total Innings pitched for last year. Is there a "rule of thumb" on how many more innings a young pitcher will pitch from one season to the next? In other words, do you only increase a pitcher's innings by 50? I know Seattle, for example has said they don't want Felix to pitch over 200 innings this season. I'm not sure how many he pitched last year.

I'm sure it may vary from one organization to the next, but I'd guess they'd all be somewhat similar.
pangbones
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby teddy ballgame » Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:24 pm

I think it's based on a specific team's ideals, and also the individual's past situation. With Verlander having surpassed his total innings at any level, I'd try to sell him off after his next start (assuming it's good). I wish it was like it used to be where guys would throw 25 CG a year.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby zevon » Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:33 pm

Check out Bob Gibson's stats from 68-72:
100-53, 122 CG. Man was a monster.

As for shutting down/limiting guys, it's a tough call. I lose starts from both Liriano and Verlander tomorrow , could use them both.
I think it may get worse for Verlander close to the end of the season as Detroit cruises to the playoffs, the Twins may use Francisco a bit more because they will be in a tighter race.
zevon
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby smoovethug » Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:44 pm

Check out A.J. Burnett's stats from 2002-03

2002: 39 G, 29 GS, 204.1 IP, 7 CG (league leader)...his first year over 200 IP
2003: 4 G, 23 IP (Tommy John surgery)

:-?

I agree that it all depends on the orginazation, but IMO I agree with limiting a pitchers workload, especially the young pitchers who are going to be valuable to you down the road, be it playoffs or years to come. What good is a young prospect if you work them so hard that their arms are falling off?

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Return to Baseball Leftovers