Twinkies fans....Garza.... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Twinkies fans....Garza....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Twinkies fans....Garza....

Postby Slow Pitch » Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:36 pm

Do you think Twins will be bringing him up soon? It looks like it is his time to get the call.

Will he instantly go into the rotation?
Slow Pitch
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Havok1517 » Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:44 pm

I just don't think they are going to rush him. But he has already been promoted from A to AAA. I'd love to see him but I think guys like Boof & Baker may determine his need. That being said, Radke does have a torn labrum and has all but said he's done after this year. Maybe the Twins get back in it?
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 134)

Postby bellings » Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:10 pm

The manager wants him, but the GM wants to take it slow. Judging from past success, it's hard to argue with the front office when it comes to bringing pitchers along.
bellings
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby flowbee » Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:46 pm

flowbee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

He's not ready...

Postby drewaely » Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:23 am

We have a problem here in Minnesota. With the amazing performance of Liriano we seem to think that Garza can do no wrong. I think that the Twins should wait. It has been said that although he has great stuff and "the best control in the international league" he doesn't like to use any of his pitches (outside of his 97 mph fastball). Twins GM Terry Ryan recently saw a game that he pitched. In 127 pitches, Garza threw only 2 off spead pitches... I think that Garza struck out 11 batters that game and shut out the WhiteSox AAA affiliate.

The amazing thing about this guy is that in the 9th inning he was still able to throw his fastballs in the 95-97mph range.

Amazing but he needs to use his other pitches. Terry Ryan won't bring him up until he can prove that he'll mix his pitches.
drewaely
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Amazing Oopah » Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:25 am

whoa, he's only throwing a fastball? 8-o

He's clearly getting by on talent alone against minor league batters, but that won't get it done against ML hitters.

How do the Twins find these high ceiling guys? Kudos to their scouting staff for sure.
Amazing Oopah
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 4)

Postby drewaely » Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:28 am

Amazing Oopah wrote:whoa, he's only throwing a fastball? 8-o

He's clearly getting by on talent alone against minor league batters, but that won't get it done against ML hitters.

How do the Twins find these high ceiling guys? Kudos to their scouting staff for sure.

I'm not sure how he gets away with that. Especially at the AAA level. While the hitters he's facing are not as good as their major league counter parts it's still amazing that he is doing as well as he is doing.

Regarding the Twins and their scouting. Who knows... Here is a run down of our top pitchers (and how we got them)

1. Drafted Garza
2. Got Santana as a Rule 5 player
3. Got Liriano as a throw in from the Giants. He was the "player to be named later"

I'm not sure how Terry Ryan and the scouts do it. I think that they are the pitching equivalent to Moneyball.
drewaely
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Return to Baseball Leftovers