Sheets...why, why.. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Sheets...why, why..

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Starkmadfan » Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:58 pm

Wow, now I am starting to think that my trading Sheets to get Scott Rolen is a good deal after all despite Rolens homerun draught. After his last 2 dominant starts, I was kicking myself....... :-?
Help me out here? : http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2321827#2321827

Artwork by madaslives911
Starkmadfan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby sox 06 » Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:06 pm

I dropped Fatolo Colon for him and now it looks like I'll have to drop him if he's hurt again. :-P
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby kbarre » Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:24 pm

has anyone who has posted on this thread actually been watching the game????

Sheets was still throwing the ball 90, and wasn't wincing or anything. His velocity was off, though, and I think that was what worried the management.

I'm extremely worried about it, don't get me wrong, but it's not like the kid's arm broke (a la Tom Browning) or anything. He K'd the last batter he faced with a 91 mph heater just on the inside corner.

His control and velocity were definitely off though. I'm crossing my fingers, but I'd like to see some of these people posting on here come off a two month stint on the DL and clock a 90 mph fastball.....
kbarre
College Coach
College Coach

Postby tinfoilxtouch » Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:39 pm

You're from the south, boy! Suck it up and stay off the DL.
tinfoilxtouch
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby clevername » Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:13 pm

kbarre wrote:has anyone who has posted on this thread actually been watching the game????

Sheets was still throwing the ball 90, and wasn't wincing or anything. His velocity was off, though, and I think that was what worried the management.

I'm extremely worried about it, don't get me wrong, but it's not like the kid's arm broke (a la Tom Browning) or anything. He K'd the last batter he faced with a 91 mph heater just on the inside corner.

His control and velocity were definitely off though. I'm crossing my fingers, but I'd like to see some of these people posting on here come off a two month stint on the DL and clock a 90 mph fastball.....

it's not what he did tonight, it's the pattern we've seen over the past 2 years. Ben's burned me over that timespan and I'm tired of counting on him...I still think he's a great pitcher when he's able to play, I'm just not willing to wait around for him to play.
When you are a man, sometimes you wear stretchy pants in your room...is for fun.
clevername
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby XHendrix » Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:42 am

im so pissed, I had a pending trade with another guy in which i get gomes and kazmir for sheets and matsui. Too bad he canceled before i got home.
XHendrix
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

burned by Sheets

Postby joacim » Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:15 am

I understand everyone's frustration, but if you have held onto him this long then stick it out and see what comes of this, it could very well be that since he just came off the DL, the Brewers are being cautious, as to not have Sheets head back to the DL.

I just traded Sheets and Hawpe for Julio Lugo and Alex Rios. So far this trade is a wash. ;-D
joacim
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:43 am

From Rotoworld:

Ben Sheets' status for his next start is uncertain after he left Saturday's game with pectoral muscle tightness.

Sheets said the feeling reminded him of cramping that led to a torn back muscle that ended his season last August. "It wasn't too bad throwing as much as in between pitches it felt like a cramp in there," he said. "It kind of became eerily similar to last year's cramp that I tried to go through and we all know the rest of that story." The Brewers are behind seven clubs in the wild card chase, so they should proceed cautiously with Sheets. A trip back to the DL is a possibility. Zach Jackson could be recalled to replace him in the rotation.
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby mak1277 » Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:14 am

kbarre wrote:has anyone who has posted on this thread actually been watching the game????

I watched the game, and to insinuate that he was hitting 90 the whole inning is very misleading. Most of his fastballs were 85-88...which for Sheets is really off his normal 93-96 peak. Also, his curveball was not biting sharply...rather it was rolling up to the plate more than I was used to seeing from him. When I saw the velocity on his fastball I got really worried. He was either hurt, or was just going to get pounded.

The other thing that was not normal for Sheets was his control. He walked 2 in the first (which was his season walk total coming into the game). He definitely did not look right out there.

kbarre wrote:His control and velocity were definitely off though. I'm crossing my fingers, but I'd like to see some of these people posting on here come off a two month stint on the DL and clock a 90 mph fastball.....

This is just silly. His velocity in his Pirates and Reds starts was well over 90 both games, so you can't fall back on his previous DL stint.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:49 am

mak1277 wrote:
kbarre wrote:The other thing that was not normal for Sheets was his control. He walked 2 in the first (which was his season walk total coming into the game). He definitely did not look right out there.

his walk total was very disheartening to me as well...not like him to walk two in one game let alone one inning :-t
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates