Big Problem in my league - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Big Problem in my league

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby yankee_cafe » Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:42 pm

There doesn't appear to be a problem with your league. The problem appears to be you.

I'm not saying this to be mean or anything, but you have hold to up your end of the bargain here.

You offered the deal and the other guy accepted. The deal should go through and it's as simple as that.
Can we build it?
yankee_cafe
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby teddyballgamemvp » Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:50 pm

I always cancel deals after 3 days. I can always re-offer them later or immediately. Yahoo lets you cancel deals and you didn't do that. I made or was offered 6 different trades for Pujols, who I put on the market for pitching since I own Howard, too. I ended up getting a Liriano offer that I accepted immediately, but if I were too slow, some of the lesser deals could have been accepted. You were in total control of this trade because you could cancel it at any time before it was accepted. League or commish review is about making sure there is fair play and that is all-- no collusion, no taking advantage of morons in your league, etc. You made a fair offer and it was accepted. The end.
Chris Iannetta was born on Krypton and transported to Earth as an infant and saves the universe when he's not getting on base every plate appearance.
teddyballgamemvp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: Big Problem in my league

Postby Starkmadfan » Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:03 pm

Matthias wrote:
raygunpunx wrote:There is a newbie in my league that barely responds to people's emails and trade offers.

I had an offer out to him since monday of this week. I agreed to make a deal yesterday afternoon with the same player and when I went on to approve the deal the other guy had accepted the deal already.

In my league we vote on a trade before it goes through. As soon as I found this out I told the guy the situation and asked him to drop the deal. He said no and the commish agrees with him.

My problem is that we have no rules in our constitution that state that a deal can be pulled back during the voting period. How can you enforce a rule that didn't exist?

The only relavent rule which is to be enforced is offer & acceptance. You put out an offer to him and before you withdrew it, he accepted. Tough cookies.

Absolutely correct - your offer is valid unless you withdraw it before he accepts it. If it is left open without limitations, he has every right to wait as long as he likes before accepting. How is he supposed to know you made another deal if your offer to him was still open as you made that deal?

The risk that he ran was that if he sat on it too long, you could have changed your mind and withdrew it and then demanded more. I always place a time limit on trades that I do - I put out an offer for 3-4 days, and then withdraw it if no response is given. If I suddenly change my mind, but find he accepted before I could hit withdraw (that almost happened to me when I offered Mussina for Turnbow - but I withdrew it in the nick of time :-° ) - then I got to bite the bullet.
Help me out here? : http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2321827#2321827

Artwork by madaslives911
Starkmadfan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby raygunpunx » Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:10 pm

Points taken. I guess I am just of a different mindset. I would never want a deal to leave a bad taste in my mouth and have karma come back to bite me in the ass. I have back out of deals when I guy I had just traded got hurt. Guess I'm just a sucker
raygunpunx
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Starkmadfan » Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:12 pm

raygunpunx wrote:The point is is that a trade dosen't become official until the commisioner process it. He has not done that yet. Why shouldn't I be able to pull this deal back??

If one owner was allowed to bail out of a deal after the other owner accepted, then no deals would be honored. Think about it - Team A and Team B make a deal , then its announced for Commish approval. Team C then sees this and knows they can make a better offer for the Team A player and does so - Team A likes the higher offer from Team C and bails out on Team B before the Commish approves - what deals would be completed ? None - every other owner would wait for the first offer to be made, and then offer slightly more to top it before the Commish approves.

And lets not forget, if you become known as someone who bails on a trade during after accepting it but before Commish approval - who would ever want to trade with you?
Help me out here? : http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2321827#2321827

Artwork by madaslives911
Starkmadfan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Matthias » Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:13 pm

No, you're not a sucker. You're a decent person. And I'd probably do the same as you.

But that falls under a code of courtesy. What you're asking about is rule enforceability.

Is it a good gesture for the first guy to undo the deal? Sure. But is there any sort of league structure which mandates that he do so? No. Not really.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Starkmadfan » Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:22 pm

raygunpunx wrote:Points taken. I guess I am just of a different mindset. I would never want a deal to leave a bad taste in my mouth and have karma come back to bite me in the ass. I have back out of deals when I guy I had just traded got hurt. Guess I'm just a sucker

There is always risk in trading - offering to back out of a trade thats been accepted because the player you just gave in trade got hurt is being a nice owner - its still not required or necesary because that person whom you traded with did assume the risk that this might happen.

All trades have risks/rewards - seldom are you going to come out feeling you did great without having some reservations - after all, trading is about "in theory" trading things of equal value - so you got to lose something of value if you are after the same - usually going to feel the loss of what you gave up regarldess of what you got back in return.

Don't sweat this trade - unless you happened to have given up half your starting rotation or top batters for waiver wire players - one "bad" trade is not going to kill your season

Artwork by madaslives911
Starkmadfan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby raygunpunx » Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:05 pm

The trade was I got Sabathia for Gordon

The deal that I would have prefered was Gordon for Olsen
raygunpunx
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Starkmadfan » Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:07 pm

raygunpunx wrote:The trade was I got Sabathia for Gordon

The deal that I would have prefered was Gordon for Olsen

No worries at all then ;-D

Artwork by madaslives911
Starkmadfan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers