Keeper League: Brandon McCarthy or Matt Garza - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Keeper League: Brandon McCarthy or Matt Garza

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Keeper League: Brandon McCarthy or Matt Garza

Postby ScotteyTooHotty » Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:59 pm

I am in a 12 team keeper league and i am interested in obtaining Matt Garza. Both are projected to be solid SP's whenever they are givin a chance.

My question is should i give up my McCarthy for his Garza. The hesitation i have in a trade like this is that McCarthy has already pitched against major league talent and has look solid and should be ready to take over the starting role next year for a very good team. I also feel that Garza has a lot of potential but there is some risk in that he has only pitched at the minor league level for a short time; however he has been dominant.

Usually i would not trade my youth away, as i am in a rebuilding stage but he will not budge on the other pitchers i have to offer.

Any feedback would be great. Leave a link so i can respond to your posts.
ScotteyTooHotty
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Postby FantasyGURU802 » Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:46 pm

Yeah, I say you trade McCarthy for Garza. Both will be starting next year, but I think the Twins will win more games than the Sox next year, with Liriano having a year of experience below his belt, and hopefully Garza getting a good 13-14 win season
[b]Member of the SGMKL[/b]
[b]THE FANTASY GURU[/b]
FantasyGURU802
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Galt » Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:24 pm

Garza's win total has nothing to do with how great Santana and Liriano are. The Twins will win a lot of games because Santana and Liriano let up less than 3 runs a game, which has nothing to do with Garza.

If Garza and McCarthy are equals, McCarthy will win more games because the White Sox offense is much better.
Galt
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Vitreous » Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:59 pm

I would make that trade. There is no way to predict how someone will do over the course of the season in ML baseball without a decent track record, but the odds are that both Garza and McCarthy will be effective.

The White Sox are a much better hitting team, so I would anticipate more wins for McCarthy, more K's for Garza and other stats about equal.

However, barring injuries, there is a 95% chance that Garza will be starting all next year.

I think there is only a 50% chance that McCarthy will start next year. Their only potential free agent is Beurhle, and as their only lefty I would imagine there will be a strong effort to resign him. That means they must either not resign him or trade Garcia, Contreras, Vasquez, or Garland. I view that as 50-50.

Vit
Vitreous
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby FantasyGURU802 » Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:15 pm

What I meant was that the Twins will win more games than the White Sox because of Garza being added to the rotation. McCarthy hasn't shown me much this year either, that may be just that he's coming out of the pen.
[b]Member of the SGMKL[/b]
[b]THE FANTASY GURU[/b]
FantasyGURU802
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby raiders_umpire » Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:13 pm

I have Garza in my minors in my main keeper, but I would rather have McCarthy for next year. Garza could come in and dominate next year, but I like how the Sox have brought up McCarthy this year, so I think he will be in for a good year next year.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Minor League & College Baseball