Yahoo! Rankings... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yahoo! Rankings...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby byfrcp » Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:44 am

That's why it was said O-Rank means nothing. The Ranks takes the standard 5 x 5 catagories, gives them an amount of points based on how many there normally are in a year (SB's are worth more points than HR because there are about 4 times as many HR's in a year than SB's) add's all the points and tells you the number that a player ranks. %100 accurate for anybody using standard 5 x 5. Beltran has been the #1 fantasy player... Soriano #2, Pujols #3.. and so on.
byfrcp
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mcliffy2 » Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:54 am

There are still some flaws to normal ranks. We use OBP in our league (R, HR, RBI, SB, OBP)...and I think it weighs the OBP based on AB, because for some reason Tejada ranks significantly higher than Giambi. This makes no sense, here are the stats:

Giambi: 69 R, 31 HR, 85 RBI, 2 SB, .407 OBP Rank - 46
Tejada: 75 R, 19 HR, 77 RBI, 4 SB .380 OBP Rank - 35

So according to this (6 R + 2 SB) minus (12 HR + 8 RBI + .027 OBP extra) equal 11 slots HIGHER ranking???...doesn't make sense...only thing I can think of is that it is still factoring in Giambi's BA for the rank
mcliffy2
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby teddyballgamemvp » Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:51 am

mcliffy2 wrote:There are still some flaws to normal ranks. We use OBP in our league (R, HR, RBI, SB, OBP)...and I think it weighs the OBP based on AB, because for some reason Tejada ranks significantly higher than Giambi. This makes no sense, here are the stats:

Ha. It doesn't weigh OBP at all. That's our point. The in-season rank has no idea you use OBP instead of AVG. It exclusively uses the 5x5 categories, which makes it mostly useless to you and many others.
Chris Iannetta was born on Krypton and transported to Earth as an infant and saves the universe when he's not getting on base every plate appearance.
teddyballgamemvp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mcliffy2 » Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:19 am

teddyballgamemvp wrote:
mcliffy2 wrote:There are still some flaws to normal ranks. We use OBP in our league (R, HR, RBI, SB, OBP)...and I think it weighs the OBP based on AB, because for some reason Tejada ranks significantly higher than Giambi. This makes no sense, here are the stats:

Ha. It doesn't weigh OBP at all. That's our point. The in-season rank has no idea you use OBP instead of AVG. It exclusively uses the 5x5 categories, which makes it mostly useless to you and many others.

agreed, but it does help some, just have to do some adjusting. In most cases there is a pretty strong correlation between BA and OBP (one goes up, so does the other)...but for guys like Giambi (.250 BA, .400+ OBP) or Ensberg (.240 BA, .390ish OBP) you have to do some adjusting.
mcliffy2
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mcliffy2 » Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:20 am

out of curiousity does anyone know the exact formula used by Yahoo to calculate rank?
mcliffy2
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby teddy ballgame » Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:22 am

mcliffy2 wrote:out of curiousity does anyone know the exact formula used by Yahoo to calculate rank?

Something like HR+RBI+R+AVG+100(SB) }:-)

The way they overrate someone because of 10 steals is incredible.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby teddy ballgame » Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:23 am

bigh0rt wrote:
teddy ballgame wrote:Good post. I even do use the O-Ranks a little bit. It's no different than any other cheat sheet you will find. There are obviously problems with it, just like any cheat sheet, but it's just another useful source out there to look at.

The only way I'd find it useful would be if I were in a league where I knew somebody valued it as a resource and I could somehow exploit it. Otherwise, its method of ranking players is a joke, and as bleach said above, ESPN's is far more in line with my thought process, and well, one has to be more accurate/useful.

Position by position it's just as good as any other cheat sheet out there. I rarely see players very far out of order if you sort by position and O-Rank.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mcliffy2 » Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:51 am

teddy ballgame wrote:
mcliffy2 wrote:out of curiousity does anyone know the exact formula used by Yahoo to calculate rank?

If you are using Roto or Rotostyle HtH I don't think they overrate steals at all...10 SB = about 15 HR. On average takes about 5-6 SB to win that point, but takes 10-11 HR to win that point.

Its not the Yahoo ranking that overvalues SB, its the Roto scoring system. I like that though, because it forces skilled management to keep a speed/power balance on your team.
mcliffy2
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby teddy ballgame » Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:55 am

mcliffy2 wrote:
teddy ballgame wrote:

If you are using Roto or Rotostyle HtH I don't think they overrate steals at all...10 SB = about 15 HR. On average takes about 5-6 SB to win that point, but takes 10-11 HR to win that point.

Its not the Yahoo ranking that overvalues SB, its the Roto scoring system. I like that though, because it forces skilled management to keep a speed/power balance on your team.

There's been plenty of instances where a player with 10 more steals than someone else with the exact same, or better stats in the other 4 categories is ranked way higher. I'm talking like 50 spots higher.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby mcliffy2 » Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:00 am

teddy ballgame wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:
teddy ballgame wrote:Good post. I even do use the O-Ranks a little bit. It's no different than any other cheat sheet you will find. There are obviously problems with it, just like any cheat sheet, but it's just another useful source out there to look at.

The only way I'd find it useful would be if I were in a league where I knew somebody valued it as a resource and I could somehow exploit it. Otherwise, its method of ranking players is a joke, and as bleach said above, ESPN's is far more in line with my thought process, and well, one has to be more accurate/useful.

Position by position it's just as good as any other cheat sheet out there. I rarely see players very far out of order if you sort by position and O-Rank.

I think you meant rank not O-Rank? O-Rank factors in the last 3 years, so guys having a bad season are still way too high...the only time O-Ranks are helpful is during the draft and maybe April while things settle out.

Here are some O-Rank v. Rank examples:
M. Young: 26/116
E. Chavez 40/331
M. Ensberg 38/281
Morneau 192/19
J Dye 221/21
mcliffy2
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers