Who's got the best lineup in baseball? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who's got the best lineup in baseball?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Who's got the best lineup in baseball?

White Sox
8%
Red Sox
6%
Yankees
55%
Indians
3%
Mets
19%
Blue Jays
4%
Tigers
1%
Rangers
3%
Phillies
2%

Total votes : 107

Postby FantasyGURU802 » Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:19 pm

Doesn't Melky Cabrera play left field? Thought they only used Bernie in pinch-hit situations
[b]Member of the SGMKL[/b]
[b]THE FANTASY GURU[/b]
FantasyGURU802
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Honus » Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:12 pm

To me, the best lineup is the one that scores the most runs - so, the White Sox.

Alternately could be the best OPS, so the Blue Jays.

All the Yankees voters here kind of remind me of the Steinbrenner way of thinking - they go with name recognition instead of actual results. So, you get a bunch of aging, over-paid, over-hyped players. Given how much more money the Yankees have at their disposal, there is absolutely no excuse that they are not dominant in BOTH hitting AND pitching every single year. Yeah, they are very good, but no, they are not the best - and the shame of it is that they should be far and away the best.
We don't like their sound, and guitar music is on the way out. Decca Recording, 1962
New opinions are always suspected, and usually opposed, without any other reason but because they are not already common. John Locke
Fortune favors the bold. Virgil
Honus
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:16 pm

Honus wrote:To me, the best lineup is the one that scores the most runs - so, the White Sox.

All the Yankees voters here kind of remind me of the Steinbrenner way of thinking - they go with name recognition instead of actual results. So, you get a bunch of aging, over-paid, over-hyped players. Given how much more money the Yankees have at their disposal, there is absolutely no excuse that they are not dominant in BOTH hitting AND pitching every single year. Yeah, they are very good, but no, they are not the best - and the shame of it is that they should be far and away the best.

I'll drink to that.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 357)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:19 pm

Honus wrote:To me, the best lineup is the one that scores the most runs - so, the White Sox.

Point taken, but keep in mind that this team is missing two monster offensive players in Sheffield and Matsui, and Cano is no slouch either. Sure, they still had Damon, Jeter, A-Rod and Giambi, but the bottom of the lineup was filled with bench/AAA type players like Crosby, Cairo, Nick Green, Andy Phillips, Melky, etc.

A lineup consisting of Damon, Jeter, Rodriguez, Giambi, Abreu, Sheffield, Matsui, Posada and Cano is certainly the most dangerous, and if they did not score the most runs in baseball, something is severely wrong.

At this point though, with the Yankees injuries, they might not be the best. Chicago and the Mets are definately up there.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:26 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:

Point taken, but keep in mind that this team is missing two monster offensive players in Sheffield and Matsui, and Cano is no slouch either. Sure, they still had Damon, Jeter, A-Rod and Giambi, but the bottom of the lineup was filled with bench/AAA type players like Crosby, Cairo, Nick Green, Andy Phillips, Melky, etc.

A lineup consisting of Damon, Jeter, Rodriguez, Giambi, Abreu, Sheffield, Matsui, Posada and Cano is certainly the most dangerous, and if they did not score the most runs in baseball, something is severely wrong.

At this point though, with the Yankees injuries, they might not be the best. Chicago and the Mets are definately up there.

The lineup the Yankees have fielded for the better part of this season, injuries withstanding, can't possibly be considered the best in baseball. Now, everybody must be voting based on the assumption of a 100% healthy roster; otherwise there's just blatant homerism running rampant. I'd take the White Sox or Mets lineups, all day.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 357)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:30 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:

The lineup the Yankees have fielded for the better part of this season, injuries withstanding, can't possibly be considered the best in baseball. Now, everybody must be voting based on the assumption of a 100% healthy roster; otherwise there's just blatant homerism running rampant. I'd take the White Sox or Mets lineups, all day.

Oh, definately agreed. To this point in the season, the Yankees haven't fielded the best lineup. At 100% healthy, it's hard to argue with them though.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby ebrage » Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:54 pm

Hey, where are the Twins in that? :-D :~( :-B
ebrage
College Coach
College Coach

Postby byfrcp » Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:57 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:

Even with the injuries the Yanks only have 20 less runs than the White Sox. With the new Addition of an OBP machine in Abreu, they will surpass the White Sox soon enough.
byfrcp
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Tavish » Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:33 pm

The Jays OPS is really inflated this year at home. Skydome (or whatever they want to call it now) has always been a bandbox.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby wrveres » Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:13 am

DK wrote:
wrveres wrote:
kimchi_chigae wrote:Ahhhh...but which team leads the league in batting average? :^

:-D

don't know off the top of my head, but I am guessing it will be a team watching baseball come October. :-)

The Padres? :-?

}:-)

nope ..
We have an E-ticket to Disneyland. ;-D
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 757)