HOLY CRAP HOW DID THIS GUY MESS UP SO BAD - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

HOLY CRAP HOW DID THIS GUY MESS UP SO BAD

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby mcliffy2 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:19 pm

Yea...at least the idiot in your league isn't getting lucky. We're in a HtH roto-scoring league (w/ OBP), and the guy in 2nd place has the worst team, and doesn't seem to realize it (well except one guy who stopped managing 3 months ago). He is stocked at closers and was hurting at SB, so I offered him Borowski and C Patterson for K-Rod...definitely would have improved his team considering he also has Jenks and Hoffman. His brilliant counter-offer was K-Rod and Huff for Weaver and Patterson....ummm yea, thats fair.

He does have good pitching (Liriano, Pedro, Verlander), but his offense is atrocious...his best hitter is A-Rod and his next best is Nomar, after that Helton...seriously, look at this lineup, believe it or not, this is a 12 team non-keeper:

C J. Posada
1B T. Helton
2B N. Punto
3B Á. Rodríguez
SS B. Upton
IF R. Zimmerman
LF A. Ethier
CF Re. Johnson
RF N. Markakis
OF C. Quentin
Util F. Thomas
BN B. Giles

His batting is just awful...out of 12 teams, excluding the team that stopped managing, last in total runs, last in total HR, 2nd to last in total RBI, 2nd to last in total SB, 3rd to last in overall OBP. So with good pitching (3rd in W, 1st in S, 3rd in K, 4th in ERA and WHIP) he should be around .500 at best.

But the f-ed up thing is he has just got incredibly lucky in his matchups...his rank as far as totals for the year is so off whack with his rank as far as HtH record...for example, he is 8th in the league in OBP, but somehow has a 10-6-1 record (2nd best in the league) for OBP. 4th in overall ERA and WHIP, yet has the best HtH record in both, last in total runs yet 8-8-1 (7th place) in record. He literally is ranked at least 2 places higher in every single category for HtH, than he is in cumulative totals. Now, if this were a case where we had deep rosters, and you could rotate in basestealers and HR hitters according to your matchup you could make a small argument its good managing...but we have basically zero (or maybe 1) bench spot for offensive players, so that means he has just been EXTREMELY lucky in matchups.

Oh yea, and to make matters worse, this guy is commish...who AFTER the draft, dropped the min innings pitched to 20 from 30. Oh yea, this is after the same draft where he was the only one to draft 3 closers... :-?
mcliffy2
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 450
Joined: 18 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BTOWNHESS » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:23 pm

I'd quit a league where the commish changed rules AFTER the draft unless it was voted on by the league.
BTOWNHESS
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 577
Joined: 14 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mcliffy2 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:52 pm

Its our work league...so we can't get too riled up about it.
mcliffy2
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 450
Joined: 18 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tianyi86 » Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:42 am

mcliffy2 wrote:Yea...at least the idiot in your league isn't getting lucky. We're in a HtH roto-scoring league (w/ OBP), and the guy in 2nd place has the worst team, and doesn't seem to realize it (well except one guy who stopped managing 3 months ago). He is stocked at closers and was hurting at SB, so I offered him Borowski and C Patterson for K-Rod...definitely would have improved his team considering he also has Jenks and Hoffman. His brilliant counter-offer was K-Rod and Huff for Weaver and Patterson....ummm yea, thats fair.

He does have good pitching (Liriano, Pedro, Verlander), but his offense is atrocious...his best hitter is A-Rod and his next best is Nomar, after that Helton...seriously, look at this lineup, believe it or not, this is a 12 team non-keeper:

C J. Posada
1B T. Helton
2B N. Punto
3B Á. Rodríguez
SS B. Upton
IF R. Zimmerman
LF A. Ethier
CF Re. Johnson
RF N. Markakis
OF C. Quentin
Util F. Thomas
BN B. Giles

His batting is just awful...out of 12 teams, excluding the team that stopped managing, last in total runs, last in total HR, 2nd to last in total RBI, 2nd to last in total SB, 3rd to last in overall OBP. So with good pitching (3rd in W, 1st in S, 3rd in K, 4th in ERA and WHIP) he should be around .500 at best.

But the f-ed up thing is he has just got incredibly lucky in his matchups...his rank as far as totals for the year is so off whack with his rank as far as HtH record...for example, he is 8th in the league in OBP, but somehow has a 10-6-1 record (2nd best in the league) for OBP. 4th in overall ERA and WHIP, yet has the best HtH record in both, last in total runs yet 8-8-1 (7th place) in record. He literally is ranked at least 2 places higher in every single category for HtH, than he is in cumulative totals. Now, if this were a case where we had deep rosters, and you could rotate in basestealers and HR hitters according to your matchup you could make a small argument its good managing...but we have basically zero (or maybe 1) bench spot for offensive players, so that means he has just been EXTREMELY lucky in matchups.

Oh yea, and to make matters worse, this guy is commish...who AFTER the draft, dropped the min innings pitched to 20 from 30. Oh yea, this is after the same draft where he was the only one to draft 3 closers... :-?


H2h is based on strategy and dominating categories. This guy obviously chose to go with pitching by having ace starters and closers. The trade you offered isnt even good in roto, much less in h2h where he chose to go with pitching to win matchups.
tianyi86
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 701
Joined: 31 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby mcliffy2 » Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:40 am

tianyi86 wrote:
mcliffy2 wrote:Yea...at least the idiot in your league isn't getting lucky. We're in a HtH roto-scoring league (w/ OBP), and the guy in 2nd place has the worst team, and doesn't seem to realize it (well except one guy who stopped managing 3 months ago). He is stocked at closers and was hurting at SB, so I offered him Borowski and C Patterson for K-Rod...definitely would have improved his team considering he also has Jenks and Hoffman. His brilliant counter-offer was K-Rod and Huff for Weaver and Patterson....ummm yea, thats fair.

He does have good pitching (Liriano, Pedro, Verlander), but his offense is atrocious...his best hitter is A-Rod and his next best is Nomar, after that Helton...seriously, look at this lineup, believe it or not, this is a 12 team non-keeper:

C J. Posada
1B T. Helton
2B N. Punto
3B Á. Rodríguez
SS B. Upton
IF R. Zimmerman
LF A. Ethier
CF Re. Johnson
RF N. Markakis
OF C. Quentin
Util F. Thomas
BN B. Giles

His batting is just awful...out of 12 teams, excluding the team that stopped managing, last in total runs, last in total HR, 2nd to last in total RBI, 2nd to last in total SB, 3rd to last in overall OBP. So with good pitching (3rd in W, 1st in S, 3rd in K, 4th in ERA and WHIP) he should be around .500 at best.

But the f-ed up thing is he has just got incredibly lucky in his matchups...his rank as far as totals for the year is so off whack with his rank as far as HtH record...for example, he is 8th in the league in OBP, but somehow has a 10-6-1 record (2nd best in the league) for OBP. 4th in overall ERA and WHIP, yet has the best HtH record in both, last in total runs yet 8-8-1 (7th place) in record. He literally is ranked at least 2 places higher in every single category for HtH, than he is in cumulative totals. Now, if this were a case where we had deep rosters, and you could rotate in basestealers and HR hitters according to your matchup you could make a small argument its good managing...but we have basically zero (or maybe 1) bench spot for offensive players, so that means he has just been EXTREMELY lucky in matchups.

Oh yea, and to make matters worse, this guy is commish...who AFTER the draft, dropped the min innings pitched to 20 from 30. Oh yea, this is after the same draft where he was the only one to draft 3 closers... :-?


H2h is based on strategy and dominating categories. This guy obviously chose to go with pitching by having ace starters and closers. The trade you offered isnt even good in roto, much less in h2h where he chose to go with pitching to win matchups.


You couldn't be more wrong. Contrary to what you said, dominating one category in HtH is a complete waste (if it means sacrificing other categories). A win by one HR is the exact same as a win by ten HR. Those other homers are useless, so if you can trade off the guys hitting some of them to bolster other categories, you should.

As to this guys choice in strategy, you should actually read the numbers I put up comparing his overall numbers to his matchup numbers. By your logic punting 5 out of 10 categories is a great strategy. In a league where you play every one of your offensive players every day, this should over time equal your rank as far as your HtH total in the same category...for example, being 8th in OBP, yet having the 2nd best HtH record in OBP indicates you got lucky and caught a number of teams on good weeks. Playing every player, there really isn't a way to "manage" OBP (and certainly not to that extent).


As for the trade, Borowski isn't much of a downgrade from Cordero, and in a league where most teams have two closers, Jenks, Hoffman, and Borowski will win most weeks. And considering he has no one with more than 10 SB (yet obviously is trying to get SB, adding Upton, etc), a guy w/ 35 SB (and 10 HR to boot) is certainly an upgrade. So with that trade he loses less in S, than he gains in SB.
mcliffy2
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 450
Joined: 18 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby smoovethug » Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:06 am

mcliffy2 wrote:
tianyi86 wrote:
mcliffy2 wrote:Yea...at least the idiot in your league isn't getting lucky. We're in a HtH roto-scoring league (w/ OBP), and the guy in 2nd place has the worst team, and doesn't seem to realize it (well except one guy who stopped managing 3 months ago). He is stocked at closers and was hurting at SB, so I offered him Borowski and C Patterson for K-Rod...definitely would have improved his team considering he also has Jenks and Hoffman. His brilliant counter-offer was K-Rod and Huff for Weaver and Patterson....ummm yea, thats fair.

He does have good pitching (Liriano, Pedro, Verlander), but his offense is atrocious...his best hitter is A-Rod and his next best is Nomar, after that Helton...seriously, look at this lineup, believe it or not, this is a 12 team non-keeper:

C J. Posada
1B T. Helton
2B N. Punto
3B Á. Rodríguez
SS B. Upton
IF R. Zimmerman
LF A. Ethier
CF Re. Johnson
RF N. Markakis
OF C. Quentin
Util F. Thomas
BN B. Giles

His batting is just awful...out of 12 teams, excluding the team that stopped managing, last in total runs, last in total HR, 2nd to last in total RBI, 2nd to last in total SB, 3rd to last in overall OBP. So with good pitching (3rd in W, 1st in S, 3rd in K, 4th in ERA and WHIP) he should be around .500 at best.

But the f-ed up thing is he has just got incredibly lucky in his matchups...his rank as far as totals for the year is so off whack with his rank as far as HtH record...for example, he is 8th in the league in OBP, but somehow has a 10-6-1 record (2nd best in the league) for OBP. 4th in overall ERA and WHIP, yet has the best HtH record in both, last in total runs yet 8-8-1 (7th place) in record. He literally is ranked at least 2 places higher in every single category for HtH, than he is in cumulative totals. Now, if this were a case where we had deep rosters, and you could rotate in basestealers and HR hitters according to your matchup you could make a small argument its good managing...but we have basically zero (or maybe 1) bench spot for offensive players, so that means he has just been EXTREMELY lucky in matchups.

Oh yea, and to make matters worse, this guy is commish...who AFTER the draft, dropped the min innings pitched to 20 from 30. Oh yea, this is after the same draft where he was the only one to draft 3 closers... :-?


H2h is based on strategy and dominating categories. This guy obviously chose to go with pitching by having ace starters and closers. The trade you offered isnt even good in roto, much less in h2h where he chose to go with pitching to win matchups.


You couldn't be more wrong. Contrary to what you said, dominating one category in HtH is a complete waste (if it means sacrificing other categories). A win by one HR is the exact same as a win by ten HR. Those other homers are useless, so if you can trade off the guys hitting some of them to bolster other categories, you should.


Way to kick knowledge! ;-D
Image

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 8955
(Past Year: 23)
Joined: 6 Nov 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Halladay Season

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Wednesday, Oct. 22
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

San Francisco at Kansas City
(8:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact