Leagues: Activity, Max moves, and fairness. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Leagues: Activity, Max moves, and fairness.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Frappy » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:04 am

No, im talking with another owner right now and he is warming up to the idea. It would have to be a number the affects all teams however, not just agaisnt him. It wont just hurt one manager that way.
Frappy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bleach168 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:41 am

120 moves? Is that all? He's only half the fantasy manager compared to NZF. :-D

This year I might crack 100. I've been really slacking. :-/

You have max games and innings. No need to punish active managers. It's infinitely better to have an active player than an inactive player.
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 17)

Postby Submariner » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:54 am

I hate to say it, but maybe you guys just suck, relatively speaking. I mean no offence, but realistically, you do have to consider the possibility. You might start by making more than 40 moves. I'm guessing most folks here get several multiples of 40 fairly easily.
Sucking since 2003
Submariner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Belle4Hall88 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:37 am

These are the transaction counts from my league. First number is # of trades made, 2nd is number of adds made. I have made 93 adds and 19 trades so far.

at least mets win sports page 11, 48
Clemen's Cutter5 4, 48
cougars 0, 14
EDDIE! EDDIE! 19, 93
Herewegoagain 5, 21
homers3 10, 72
Laker Baseball 11, 77
Murphys Outlaws 8, 38
Phoenix Fire 12 2, 4
Providence Nationals 0, 33
Wharf Rats 3, 94
WSChamps 3, 35

And the standings:
Rnk Team Pts
1 WSChamps 102.0
2 EDDIE! EDDIE! 93.5
3 Clemen's Cutter5 77.5
4 cougars 73.0
5 Laker Baseball 71.0
6 Murphys Outlaws 66.0
6 Herewegoagain 66.0
8 Wharf Rats 64.0
9 Providence Nationals 47.5
10 homers3 43.0
11 at least mets win sports page 42.0
12 Phoenix Fire 12 34.5
Last edited by Belle4Hall88 on Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Belle4Hall88 Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ukrneal » Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:38 am

The only thought that comes to mind is that your league isn't deep enough, which means there are too many useful players on waivers and FA. If that is the case, I would increase the bench or add owners.

Another thought comes to mind: how are waivers set? One way to give owners a little more time to react is to increase the number of days a player is on waivers when dropped or added to the league. That way, everyone in the league will have time to react. So instead of going directly to FA, you can set that to 1 or 2 days on waivers first and then people have to claim from waivers. That way, it isn;t critical to be online when a player is added and eveyone will have a decent shot at a player as long as they are active.
ukrneal
General Manager
General Manager

Postby pangbones » Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:00 am

Do you charge money for the pickups? My league charges $1 a pickup. Charge per pickup, problem solved. ;-D
pangbones
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:11 am

pangbones wrote:Do you charge money for the pickups? My league charges $1 a pickup. Charge per pickup, problem solved. ;-D

that discriminates against poor people. people who are rich have a big advantage.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Frappy » Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:04 am

Someone here mentioned being shallow.. Well we are a 12 teamer with prospect roster. There isnt too much on the FA. Im going to bed now, so you all tommorow
Frappy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby tianyi86 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:39 am

Again, with a 1250 max inning cap and games play cap, what more do you need? Its not like this is h2h and hes making 20 moves a week to maximize wins and K's (which doesnt work bc ur era and whip will be bloated, but thats beside the point). This is roto where you need quality games from your pitchers. If this guy is keen enough to pick out the right matches and have the time to scout prospects and see which one is worth an add, great for him. And having a max move does penalize him more bc if you set a max move limit and hes the only guy going over it this year, then clearly this is directed against him and hurting him more than the other inactive or less active managers.

Personally, I see this thread just as a emphemistic way of asking "is it ok for me to make rules so this managers doesnt win the league every year."
tianyi86
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby ukrneal » Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:38 am

tianyi86 wrote:Again, with a 1250 max inning cap and games play cap, what more do you need? Its not like this is h2h and hes making 20 moves a week to maximize wins and K's (which doesnt work bc ur era and whip will be bloated, but thats beside the point). This is roto where you need quality games from your pitchers. If this guy is keen enough to pick out the right matches and have the time to scout prospects and see which one is worth an add, great for him. And having a max move does penalize him more bc if you set a max move limit and hes the only guy going over it this year, then clearly this is directed against him and hurting him more than the other inactive or less active managers.

Personally, I see this thread just as a emphemistic way of asking "is it ok for me to make rules so this managers doesnt win the league every year."

If you guys can't keep up like this guy, maybe you should go to a weekly league. The other guy can find some people more on his level.
ukrneal
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers