Leagues: Activity, Max moves, and fairness. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Leagues: Activity, Max moves, and fairness.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Leagues: Activity, Max moves, and fairness.

Postby Frappy » Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:34 am

Hey Cafe,
I just wanted to know how some of your leagues handle issues like this. So anyway, in my league we have this one guy who has amazing 24/7 activity. He's on alll the time and watches every game (It seems) and uses this to an advantage over the rest of our managers. He'll pick up any players with new developements (Like new closers) at the slightest hint when other managers are sleeping or working. Not only that, but we have no max moves set and that combined with his activity makes a problem. Each year this guy makes 120 moves or more compared to the rest of the leagues 20-40. Each year since 98' he won 1st place save for one year when he won 2nd. I just dont think it's fair that he has a huge advantage year in and year out.
Am I right to be angry? I want to make a max moves limit at the very least. Here's the problem - He's the commish. What can I do?
Do your leagues have move limits? I honestly believe that making that many moves devalues the need for having a good draft. Is he OK for using 24/7 activity to make so many moves to get a big advantage over the rest of us? I hope not.. I want to try and change something so he cant have that massive advantage over us in 07'. Suggestions?

Thanks all,
-Frappy
Frappy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tianyi86 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:40 am

I don't agree with your view. You plan to penalize him because he's too competitive and too active. And just because he's in first doesn't mean rules should be made to prevent him from winning again. I personally dont understand these kinda of posts and threads because I don't understand why its a problem when one manager is more dedicated than others, or smarter than others with better pickups or better strategies.
tianyi86
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Belle4Hall88 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:43 am

yeah they only thing you could really do is make a maximum for innings pitched, but that's about it. he is just doing a better job than anyone else it seems.
Belle4Hall88 Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jake_harv88 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:45 am

yeah you can't blame a guy for being more active. I mean if he wants to waste away doing fantasy baseball than so be it. Dont get me wrong i love fantasy baseball and i spend a good portion of my time on it but its not my life. Anyways with that said a move limit should solve your problems. i think a move limit is a good idea for exactly the reason you siad. Without one whats stops the guy from picking up a new starter every day just to win ks and wins. My league has a limit of 75. Its a good number because you can make reasonably large number of moves but still it stops from making the more ridiculous moves....talk to the league. If no one else cares then move on, the league is a waste then...hope that helps
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Frappy » Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:20 am

Who says I want penalize someone for living off the game? I just want the league to be fair for everyone. I never said "I dont want them winning anymore" either. Some of you people are going waaay too far with this. Its not about being smarter either, thats not the issue at hand. Its about a max moves limit and if its a good idea. I thank Jake and belle for their good responses.
Frappy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Belle4Hall88 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:26 am

do you have a G/IP maximum? In other words I guess what I am asking is, does he pickup whoever is playing the Royals or Pirates each day and stock up on wins? If so that is kind of crappy, but a IP max will solve that.
Belle4Hall88 Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Frappy » Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:29 am

We have a 1250 Max so that kills pitch and ditch. I think Ill email the managers and suggest a max move limit for next year so we can bring it to the commish for 07'.

Whats a good move limit?
Frappy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:34 am

If you have an IP max, there's no real need for any other restrictions. There's no sense in penalizing somebody who takes more risks via free agency pickup. You've already stopped the possibility of churning. Why go further than that to stifle one GM, who happens to be winning every year? There's 9-11 other guys in the league who this 'limit' will not affect in the slightest. I can't see creating rules like this for one GM, when he's not even really in the wrong...
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 360)

Postby Frappy » Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:44 am

Theres no risk-taking in what he does though. Does the draft even have value anymore? Anyway, Im out for now I think I know what to do. Thanks all!
Frappy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:49 am

nothing wrong with being over-active. once in a while the rest of teams will have a good waiver pickup with such an over-active owner always making adds/drops. what # are you looking to set the limit at? 100? he'll know its to combat him then.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers