Grady Little BENCHES Manny Ramirez - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Grady Little BENCHES Manny Ramirez

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Grady Little BENCHES Manny Ramirez

Postby jdh » Tue Sep 02, 2003 6:02 pm

Apparently even though he is now available to play, Little has benched him tonight because he thinks not having him in the lineup gives them the best chance to win. Is there a such thing as worst manager of the year award?

From RotoWorld:

Manny Ramirez - OF - Boston Red Sox Sep 2

Manny Ramirez is not in tonight's lineup even though he is healthy enough to play.
''He is available to DH today, but my decision to wait is: I like the way our club has responded the last few days,'' manager Grady Little said. ''I'm putting the team out there that I feel gives us the best chance to win.'' Either Little is a whopping moron or he thinks everyone else is. It's probably a little of both. Ramirez clearly is being punished for whatever it was that happened in a bar Saturday evening and -- perhaps more importantly -- skipping a doctor's appointment on Sunday.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jdh » Tue Sep 02, 2003 6:03 pm

Now RotoWire is reporting that Ramirez will be benched for an "indefinite period of time"

Manny Ramirez (OF) BOS 9/2/2003
Broadcast reports out of Boston have Ramirez being benched by the Red Sox for an "indefinite" amount of time. General Manager Theo Epstein had previously noted that Ramirez would be fined for skipping out of Sunday's game altogether, as well as missing a team appointed doctor's visit; but apparently that has changed. There is no word as to how long Ramirez will miss, but it's likely the two games in Chicago will be the extent of this punishment. We'll keep you posted.

Are the Red Sox trying to throw away their chances at making the playoffs?
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Madison » Tue Sep 02, 2003 6:07 pm

I posted an article in the other Manny thread. ;-) Not sure what Little is thinking. How can the team be better without Manny? That's plain silly in my mind.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby blankman » Tue Sep 02, 2003 6:08 pm

I applaud what they are doing for the principle and showing that no one is above the team's rules, (same thing with Pete Rose and MLB) but I don't think they can afford to bench him. The point needs to be made, but I don't think you can sacrifice what all the other Red Sox have done, by playing with an inferior team (without Manny) and possibly missing the playoffs to make a point to Manny.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Madison » Tue Sep 02, 2003 6:14 pm

I agree with Blankman. He should be reprimanded and shown that he cannot disobey the teams requests.

Unfortunately, it could cost the team the playoffs. :-/

No win situation. :-/
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby guest » Tue Sep 02, 2003 6:17 pm

Christ .... Manny is one of the four or five best hitters in the AL and they're benching him indefinitely for missing a doctor's appointment?

I won't miss him *too* much on my fantasy teams, but still ... :-C

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Madison » Tue Sep 02, 2003 6:20 pm

I just remembered that I've got Colon going in 2 leagues tonight against the Red Sox! 8-o No Manny makes this a lot easier. :-) I do own Manny as well, but I've benched him.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby guest » Tue Sep 02, 2003 6:21 pm

Madison wrote:I just remembered that I've got Colon going in 2 leagues tonight against the Red Sox! 8-o No Manny makes this a lot easier. :-) I do own Manny as well, but I've benched him.

I've benched him too, but it's that "indefinitely" that gets me.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby ramble2 » Tue Sep 02, 2003 7:18 pm

I think there is an obvious solution. Larry Bowa and Grady Little should swap jobs. It'd be Phillies-Red Sox in the '04 WS!
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 7)

Postby HOOTIE » Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:30 pm

Madison wrote:I posted an article in the other Manny thread. ;-) Not sure what Little is thinking. How can the team be better without Manny? That's plain silly in my mind.

Little knows the teams not better. But hes sending his message to Manny. Manny is really lacking dedication. Hes too sick to pinch hit, misses a Dr. appointment, but can go out at night? If Bonds did this, there would be 100 i hate you Bonds posts. Manny is a great hitter, but a sorry excuse for a ballplayer.
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers