Javy Lopez - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Javy Lopez

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby AdvRider » Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:18 am

Dude is quality. He could be huge in BOS at least until Varitek returns. He's been struggling for playing time all year with Hernandez.

Hell, the way Hernandez has hit over the past month ... 6 0 7 .211 ... I'd drop Ramon for Javy in a heartbeat. Nothing to lose & lots to gain ... unless Hernandez remembers how to hit and Javy sucks, I mean. :-]
AdvRider
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kimchi_chigae » Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:36 am

AdvRider wrote:Dude is quality. He could be huge in BOS at least until Varitek returns. He's been struggling for playing time all year with Hernandez.

Hell, the way Hernandez has hit over the past month ... 6 0 7 .211 ... I'd drop Ramon for Javy in a heartbeat. Nothing to lose & lots to gain ... unless Hernandez remembers how to hit and Javy sucks, I mean. :-]

The problem is that Javy does suck. :-D

He hasn't been a Top 5 fantasy catcher for what...two years now? He's not exactly young anymore and we all know how catchers' numbers tend to decline over the years. I don't think his value chances much for now, but it's Varitek's job and Lopez will lose a lot of PT when Jason comes back.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 200)

Postby AdvRider » Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:54 pm

kimchi_chigae wrote:
AdvRider wrote:Dude is quality. He could be huge in BOS at least until Varitek returns. He's been struggling for playing time all year with Hernandez.

The problem is that Javy does suck. :-D

He hasn't been a Top 5 fantasy catcher for what...two years now? He's not exactly young anymore and we all know how catchers' numbers tend to decline over the years. I don't think his value chances much for now, but it's Varitek's job and Lopez will lose a lot of PT when Jason comes back.

Um, Varitek is out 4-6 weeks. !+) Javy is hands down the No. 1 catcher for all that time, because the backup, Mirabelli, really sucks.

As for Javy, he's 35. His numbers have indeed gone down in the past two years ... along with his ABs. But that's in part because of the Orioles carrying two quality catchers, Lopez & Hernandez.

2004 579 AB 83 23 86 .316
2005 395 AB 47 15 49 .278
2006 279 AB 30 8 31 .265

He's a career .288 hitter ... he's been complaining all year that a trade would be good for both him and the Os ... here's his chance. If I had a guy like Kendall or LoDuca or Estrada or Molina behind the dish and needed some pop down the stretch, Javy would be a good bet IMHO. ;-)
AdvRider
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 7)

Postby kimchi_chigae » Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:31 pm

4-6 weeks doesn't mean he is out for the season. He will lose a lot of PT in September.

Javy's ABs have been declining not because the O's also have Hernandez, but because Lopez can't stay healthy. And it's probably a good thing Baltimore has Hernandez to share the time with Lopez at catcher, imagine who bad Lopez numbers would be if he was catching full-time. :-)
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 200)

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates