Andruw Jones on Waivers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Andruw Jones on Waivers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby George_Foreman » Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:22 pm

10-5 means a 10-year vet with 5 years on his current team. They have the right to veto any trade.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby option245 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:25 pm

jake_harv88 wrote:quick question here..... what are 10-5 rights??? Ok and let me know if i understand this right. If Jones had cleared waivers he could have been traded to any team for any guy. But if he gets plucked off waivers then the Braves can only get minor leaguers for him. Also if the Braves dont like that deal they can pull him back off of the waivers right??? Correct me if im wrong. Thanks for the help...

That is correct. 10-5 rights is 10 years in the majors, 5 years with the same team. Andruw will be able to deny any trade proposals if he wants, basically a no-trade clause.

Personally I don't see any reason the Braves would want to trade Andruw away especially right now. If they do they don't really have anyone who can hit in the 4 spot, they would probably more want to sign an extension. Franceour is too incosistent. Unless they get some ridiculous offer in the offseason for picthing/replacement for him or like 5-6 great prospects from a team now, I doubt he is going anywhere
option245
College Coach
College Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby brandnew » Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:29 pm

jake_harv88 wrote:quick question here..... what are 10-5 rights??? Ok and let me know if i understand this right. If Jones had cleared waivers he could have been traded to any team for any guy. But if he gets plucked off waivers then the Braves can only get minor leaguers for him. Also if the Braves dont like that deal they can pull him back off of the waivers right??? Correct me if im wrong. Thanks for the help...

If he gets claimed, they can only deal with the team that claimed him. If more than one team claims him, the team with the worst record in the same league gets priority. The team can pull that player back once in August. If they throw him back out there before September again, they can't pull him back. I can't seem to find anything regarding who they get back..... I hate waivers.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:31 pm

I don't even know who had the priority to be able to have a reasonable chance at getting Andruw. How is priority determined? Team record? Does the player go through his own divisional or league teams first before moving on to the other league? What is the process here where we could actually make a guess at what team was the "lucky" team to be awarded a claim on Andruw?
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Havok1517 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:37 pm

ESPN's Buster Olney says Andruw Jones has been claimed on waivers, though he doesn't know by which team.

So he's already been claimed, who knwos what will happen next. Probably nothing, but you never know.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 138)

Postby The Loveable Losers » Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:44 pm

jake_harv88 wrote:Also if the Braves dont like that deal they can pull him back off of the waivers right??? Correct me if im wrong. Thanks for the help...

Correct. They have a 48 hour window to work out a trade with the team that claimed him. After that window they can either let the other team have him (obviously they wouldn't do that in Jones's case) or pull him back off of waivers. While that scenario about sticking the other team doesn't apply here it's definitely happened in the past with some overpaid aging players (especially MR's).
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby Krunk City King$ » Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:19 pm

Andruw Jones claimed on waivers; 10-5 rights loomBy Buster Olney
ESPN The Magazine

With Andruw Jones only days away from gaining trade veto power, the All-Star center fielder was claimed on waivers by an unnamed team, leaving the Braves until 1 p.m. ET Saturday to decide whether to take their last opportunity to deal Jones unfettered.

That Jones was placed on waivers is unremarkable; he was one of hundreds of players, including many stars, who were placed on waivers earlier this week. What makes Jones' situation interesting is that on Aug. 15, he will gain 10-and-5 rights -- 10 years in the big leagues, five with the same team -- to block any proposed trade.

Multiple teams placed claims on Jones, according to major-league sources. But on Thursday afternoon, one team was awarded a claim on Jones. Now the Braves have two choices -- either work out a trade with the team who placed the claim by Saturday or pull Jones back from waivers. If they pull him back, they cannot trade him again for the rest of this season.

Jones' value in the trade market is relatively high right now, because he is a highly productive player locked up for only one more year -- at $13.5 million -- at a time when players like Alfonso Soriano and Carlos Lee might command $70 million packages on the free-agent market.

The Boston Red Sox tried to deal for Jones leading up to the trade deadline, with some intent to try to flip him to the Houston Astros for Roy Oswalt. Some scouts also think that the Los Angeles Angels, who've been looking for a bat, might have high interest in Jones.

Atlanta GM John Schuerholz, reached on his cell phone, said Friday afternoon that he would not comment on the team's internal business.

Buster Olney is a senior writer for ESPN The Magazine.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2539544
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BTOWNHESS » Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:32 pm

Krunk City King$ wrote:Andruw Jones claimed on waivers; 10-5 rights loomBy Buster Olney
ESPN The Magazine

With Andruw Jones only days away from gaining trade veto power, the All-Star center fielder was claimed on waivers by an unnamed team, leaving the Braves until 1 p.m. ET Saturday to decide whether to take their last opportunity to deal Jones unfettered.

That Jones was placed on waivers is unremarkable; he was one of hundreds of players, including many stars, who were placed on waivers earlier this week. What makes Jones' situation interesting is that on Aug. 15, he will gain 10-and-5 rights -- 10 years in the big leagues, five with the same team -- to block any proposed trade.

Multiple teams placed claims on Jones, according to major-league sources. But on Thursday afternoon, one team was awarded a claim on Jones. Now the Braves have two choices -- either work out a trade with the team who placed the claim by Saturday or pull Jones back from waivers. If they pull him back, they cannot trade him again for the rest of this season.

Jones' value in the trade market is relatively high right now, because he is a highly productive player locked up for only one more year -- at $13.5 million -- at a time when players like Alfonso Soriano and Carlos Lee might command $70 million packages on the free-agent market.

The Boston Red Sox tried to deal for Jones leading up to the trade deadline, with some intent to try to flip him to the Houston Astros for Roy Oswalt. Some scouts also think that the Los Angeles Angels, who've been looking for a bat, might have high interest in Jones.

Atlanta GM John Schuerholz, reached on his cell phone, said Friday afternoon that he would not comment on the team's internal business.

I have a sneaking suspicion its the Twins...Makes the most sense..They wanted Soriano but didnt want to part with prospects knowing they wouldnt sign him in the offseason, Jones is under contract next year as well for 13.5 million and they have big question makrs this year with their gold glove center fielder Hunter as well their waiver claim would come before the White Sox, Tigers, and Red Sox who I believe would be the other teams looking for his services.
BTOWNHESS
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby KPucks » Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:33 pm

BTOWNHESS wrote:
Krunk City King$ wrote:Andruw Jones claimed on waivers; 10-5 rights loomBy Buster Olney
ESPN The Magazine

I have a sneaking suspicion its the Twins...Makes the most sense..They wanted Soriano but didnt want to part with prospects knowing they wouldnt sign him in the offseason, Jones is under contract next year as well for 13.5 million and they have big question makrs this year with their gold glove center fielder Hunter as well their waiver claim would come before the White Sox, Tigers, and Red Sox who I believe would be the other teams looking for his services.

The Twins probably put in a claim, but I doubt he actually got to them. A team with a worse record probably put in a claim, meaning they would get the right to try to make a deal.
KPucks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:11 am

Very unlikely for the Twins. The waiver order goes by record within league, then jumps to the other league and goes by record. So, it's much more likely to be an NL team. Cubs and Pittsburgh are the two worst, teams, but I doubt they made a claim. It's the next set of teams: SF, Houston (lots of prospects), Colorado, LA, Florida, Philly that probably made the claim. I'm not sure of the standings on Wed., but I've seen some discussion that suggested Houston.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers