Andruw Jones on Waivers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Andruw Jones on Waivers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby teddy ballgame » Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:00 am

brandnew wrote:
teddy ballgame wrote:
George_Foreman wrote:The Braves aren't trading Andruw unless they get an offer that blows them away (that rumored Lester/Hansen/Crisp deal was VERY interesting to me).

Very interesting? That's all? That deal would have been highway robbery, and it's not even worth mentioning as a potential deal because the Sox would never do it.

Well how would you feel if the Sox were 5 games out of the AL East race, and the Rangers came and offered Danks, Diamond, and Cruz for Ortiz?

I've never heard of any of those guys, and I'll take Ortiz over Jones every day of the week. ;-D
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Loveable Losers » Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:09 pm

For what it's worth (probably not much) ESPN radio was reporting that Jones had been claimed on waivers and that they thought there was a good chance Atlanta would work out a deal with the team since Andruw is going to be a 10-5 guy in the next few days. I guess that does at least let us know that he didn't clear waivers but beyond that I don't think I'd give the report much credence.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby teddy ballgame » Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:23 pm

The Loveable Losers wrote:For what it's worth (probably not much) ESPN radio was reporting that Jones had been claimed on waivers and that they thought there was a good chance Atlanta would work out a deal with the team since Andruw is going to be a 10-5 guy in the next few days. I guess that does at least let us know that he didn't clear waivers but beyond that I don't think I'd give the report much credence.

I wonder who claimed him. I can't see too many teams that would really go after him at this point. Maybe Houston, St. Louis, Chicago (AL), or Boston. :-?

edit: There's an article about it here, so I'd say it's valid.

The article mentions the Angels could be interested, and that multipe teams make claims. The interesting thing is that Jones gets 10-5 rights in a few days.
Last edited by teddy ballgame on Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby slomo007 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:25 pm

teddy ballgame wrote:
The Loveable Losers wrote:For what it's worth (probably not much) ESPN radio was reporting that Jones had been claimed on waivers and that they thought there was a good chance Atlanta would work out a deal with the team since Andruw is going to be a 10-5 guy in the next few days. I guess that does at least let us know that he didn't clear waivers but beyond that I don't think I'd give the report much credence.

I wonder who claimed him. I can't see too many teams that would really go after him at this point. Maybe Houston, St. Louis, Chicago (AL), or Boston. :-?

I would imagine it was Houston, they really wanted him around the trade deadline.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby teddy ballgame » Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:28 pm

slomo007 wrote:
teddy ballgame wrote:

I would imagine it was Houston, they really wanted him around the trade deadline.

They were going to get him via the Sox and backed out because they were afraid he'd ask for a trade this winter. That's one of the main reasons he wasn't moved before the deadline - because Houston backed out.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby The Loveable Losers » Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:32 pm

teddy ballgame wrote:

edit: There's an article about it here, so I'd say it's valid.

The article mentions the Angels could be interested, and that multipe teams make claims. The interesting thing is that Jones gets 10-5 rights in a few days.

Buster Olney was the source both on the air and for the article. The article though was a lot less 'bombastic' than the presentation on the air where the teaser was 'superstar player about to be traded'. They implied on-air that a trade was very likely to happen while his article only mentions that the Braves might consider it due to the 10-5 rule kicking in soon.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby winterball22 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:56 pm

It will be hard for the Braves to make a deal with the claiming team.The only players they could except for Jones, would be players not on the 40 man rosters, or players that have already cleared waivers. So essentially, they would problably just get minor leaguers for him.
winterball22
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby brandnew » Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:15 pm

Alright fine, what if the Angels came and offered Weaver, Kendrick, and Wood for Ortiz? And the point wasn't in comparing Andruw to Ortiz. Their value in the league I'm guessing is similar... what Ortiz dominates Andruw in offensive stats, Andruw plays the field, and is the best CF in the game.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby jake_harv88 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:18 pm

quick question here..... what are 10-5 rights??? Ok and let me know if i understand this right. If Jones had cleared waivers he could have been traded to any team for any guy. But if he gets plucked off waivers then the Braves can only get minor leaguers for him. Also if the Braves dont like that deal they can pull him back off of the waivers right??? Correct me if im wrong. Thanks for the help...
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 24)

Postby Ursa » Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:22 pm

jake_harv88 wrote:quick question here..... what are 10-5 rights??? Ok and let me know if i understand this right. If Jones had cleared waivers he could have been traded to any team for any guy. But if he gets plucked off waivers then the Braves can only get minor leaguers for him. Also if the Braves dont like that deal they can pull him back off of the waivers right??? Correct me if im wrong. Thanks for the help...

Addressing the 10-5, when a player has been in the bigs for 10 years and 5 years with the same team, he has the right to block a trade.
Ursa
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers