100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Andruw Jones on Waivers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Big Pimpin » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:38 pm

Philly_05 wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:
Philly_05 wrote:
BritSox wrote:Who could the Yankees block? The Tigers, that's it.

As you can see I said like so meaning an example. Nice attempt at being a smart a**.. Teams like the Blue Jays,White Sox,Twins,Angels should I go on?

You're missing the point of waivers though I think. I doubt the Twins block anything, because they don't want to take on the salary, even if he comes for free. Plus you don't *know* who claims a guy until it's done, so you can't say "Oh the Cards are trying to get him, I better block that."

Ever since the Pads got stuck with Myers for like $10M a few years back, teams are a lot more gun-shy about claiming guys.

(Not that I'm saying Andruw wouldn't get claimed, someone will most likely claim him. Just speaking to the general process.)

You don't have to take the player you can still block him from the other team getting him.. The Mets blocked something like 250 players one year to block them from other teams...

If you claim a player (and you're the team with priority), then the other team can just make you take him off their hands. Is it the case with Andruw that the Braves just want rid of his salary? Probably not. But you can't just block everyone who hits waivers with no repercussions...
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Blue Bear » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:20 pm

Philly_05 wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:
Philly_05 wrote:
BritSox wrote:Who could the Yankees block? The Tigers, that's it.

As you can see I said like so meaning an example. Nice attempt at being a smart a**.. Teams like the Blue Jays,White Sox,Twins,Angels should I go on?

You're missing the point of waivers though I think. I doubt the Twins block anything, because they don't want to take on the salary, even if he comes for free. Plus you don't *know* who claims a guy until it's done, so you can't say "Oh the Cards are trying to get him, I better block that."

Ever since the Pads got stuck with Myers for like $10M a few years back, teams are a lot more gun-shy about claiming guys.

(Not that I'm saying Andruw wouldn't get claimed, someone will most likely claim him. Just speaking to the general process.)

You don't have to take the player you can still block him from the other team getting him.. The Mets blocked something like 250 players one year to block them from other teams...

Please don't just quote Steve Philips from the other night's BBTN.
Blue Bear
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Blue Bear » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:24 pm

out of the guys who get placed on waivers, what is the percentage that actually get claimed? and what is the percentage of guys that usually make it through?
Blue Bear
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:38 pm

I'd like to see a list of all the guys currently on waivers.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 117)

Postby FalcoAtL » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:44 pm

Surprising the Braves would want to deal a cornerstone type player :-? But I guess you have to start rebuilding at this point.
FalcoAtL
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby brandnew » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:47 pm

I'm probably on waivers. acs's sex drive is probably on waivers. This means absolutely nothing. If Andruw's going to be traded, it'll be in the offseason.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby George_Foreman » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:51 pm

FalcoAtL wrote:Surprising the Braves would want to deal a cornerstone type player :-? But I guess you have to start rebuilding at this point.
Yeah, becuase 5 out of the WC with half a million guys coming back from injuries next year = time to rebuild.

The Braves aren't trading Andruw unless they get an offer that blows them away (that rumored Lester/Hansen/Crisp deal was VERY interesting to me). But like EVERYONE ELSE on this thread has said, everyone and their mother is being thrown on waivers to see who gets through and how far. For Andruw to get traded to the Red Sox, I'm pretty sure that every NL team and every AL team with a worse record than the Sox would have to decline to take on his contract.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby teddy ballgame » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:41 pm

George_Foreman wrote:The Braves aren't trading Andruw unless they get an offer that blows them away (that rumored Lester/Hansen/Crisp deal was VERY interesting to me).

Very interesting? That's all? That deal would have been highway robbery, and it's not even worth mentioning as a potential deal because the Sox would never do it.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby brandnew » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:18 pm

teddy ballgame wrote:
George_Foreman wrote:The Braves aren't trading Andruw unless they get an offer that blows them away (that rumored Lester/Hansen/Crisp deal was VERY interesting to me).

Very interesting? That's all? That deal would have been highway robbery, and it's not even worth mentioning as a potential deal because the Sox would never do it.

Well how would you feel if the Sox were 5 games out of the AL East race, and the Rangers came and offered Danks, Diamond, and Cruz for Ortiz?
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby winterball22 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:38 am

Danks, Diamond and Cruz, for Ortiz is not a good comparison.
winterball22
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers