Baldelli question for people that watch the Rays - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Baldelli question for people that watch the Rays

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Baldelli question for people that watch the Rays

Postby stumpak » Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:15 pm

As I would have expected given his continued recovery from the ACL, Baldelli's SB attempts have been WAY down.

However, he is now at the top of the order for a manger that LOVES to steal. For people that see him a lot, how is he looking on the base paths? Do you think that his SB attempts will start ramping up, or is he likely to go easy on the knee the rest of the way?
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jlm53089 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:57 pm

They are gonna start him slow like anyone would do with someone recovering from an ACL injury. He wont steal much this year at all, hope for 12-15 SB tops.
Next year if he isn't overused or gets a nagging injury he will be back up to 30.
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby hybrid » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:05 pm

He won't be stealing much this year regardless or where he hits. Like the other poster said they are going to take it easy with him, he had the obvious ACL but also hamstring issues when he was coming back earlier this year. As far as him running though he still has great speed on the base paths, I see no reason in the future he can't be up to 20-30 SB's
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Snakes Gould » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:55 pm

hybrid wrote:He won't be stealing much this year regardless or where he hits. Like the other poster said they are going to take it easy with him, he had the obvious ACL but also hamstring issues when he was coming back earlier this year. As far as him running though he still has great speed on the base paths, I see no reason in the future he can't be up to 20-30 SB's

yeah i agree with hybrid as well...but i think 30 is the max...i could see him droppin around 15-20 just because his legs have already gone through a beatin'

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 65)

Postby Smileyman9 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:04 pm

I would suspect that the lineup will change a few more times before the season is over...I would guess Upton will eventually lead off (atleast yahoo had a report on his first day that he would be the leadoff hitter...which was false info as he was 8th I think).
Smileyman9
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 3)

Postby raiders_umpire » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:24 pm

He has actually been looking better then I expected running the basepaths. I was thinking the other day that we might see him run a bit more now with his move to first in the lineup. He has played in almost 50 games so far this year, so I think we might see him take some chances with the running game over the next 6 or 8 weeks. He has looked healthy enough to me to say he should steal 20 bases or so next year in a full season.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CoopernicusX » Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:49 pm

Based on this new report, I would guess SB attempts would decrease further. This guy is the new Mr. Glass...so many injuries, so little time.

***Aug 4 - Bill Chastain, of TampaBay.DevilRays.MLB.com, reports Tampa Bay Devil Rays OF Rocco Baldelli (hamstring) was a late scratch Thursday, Aug. 3, due to a sore hamstring.
"You can observe a lot by watching." - YOGI
CoopernicusX
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby CoopernicusX » Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:05 pm

And the news just keeps getting worse for Baldelli. Too bad, I like this guy. Tough couple of years for him.

Aug 4 - Baldelli was scratched from the Devil Rays' lineup Thursday due to soreness in his right hamstring and likely won't play on Friday either, the St. Petersburg Times reports.

Recommendation: Baldelli missed the first two months of the season due to a left hamstring strain, but his current injury might still be related. According to the report, Baldelli said Thursday that both hamstrings were sore during the spring as he worked his way back into form after missing all of last year due to other injuries.. "Both of them were bothering me," Baldelli said. "Even though the left one was the initial one, neither one is really my good one or my bad one." Expect the Rays to be very cautious with the increasingly fragile Baldelli, and there's a chance he could be out for a while. If you're riding Baldelli in a fairly shallow mixed league, consider looking for alternatives if he doesn't return to the lineup by Saturday.
"You can observe a lot by watching." - YOGI
CoopernicusX
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Baseball Leftovers