I love it when...... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

I love it when......

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Matthias » Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:56 pm

Havok1517 wrote:I didn't wanna go back and read all of the posts but did want to mention that the Yankees are a horribly run business in terms of financial return though they are typically the most successful in terms of winning. The Yankee franchise is worth more than any other baseball team as well (Forbes).

One of these things isn't true.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tavish » Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:14 pm

winterball22 wrote:Tavish starts out by stating that a cap is an aweful solution and the later supports the NFL. I still think a salary cap is needed in baseball. What the Yankees are doing is within the parameters of MLB, but it's not good for MLB.

I don't really support the NFL cap and moving its design to the MLB would be useless. The NFL has parity because parity is built into having a 16 game season and because the National media contract better distributes revenue. If the MLB played 16 games for its regular season and also let two more teams into the postseason, teams like KC or Tampa or Pittsburgh would be bound to sneak in to the playoffs with a good run enough to give fans everywhere hope.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby Havok1517 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:52 pm

Matthias wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:I didn't wanna go back and read all of the posts but did want to mention that the Yankees are a horribly run business in terms of financial return though they are typically the most successful in terms of winning. The Yankee franchise is worth more than any other baseball team as well (Forbes).

What are you talking about? Forbes magazine valued the club at $1.026 billion in April 2006. For a few years now, the Yankees have spent more money than they have made. Just because they incur a loss doesn't necessarily effect the worth of the franchise nor the yankee name.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 116)

Postby acsguitar » Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:55 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
Matthias wrote:

What are you talking about? Forbes magazine valued the club at $1.026 billion in April 2006. For a few years now, the Yankees have spent more money than they have made. Just because they incur a loss doesn't necessarily effect the worth of the franchise nor the yankee name.

It seems to me at least spending money = Greed in a lot of people's eyes when the truth is that Stein doesn't make tons of money off the Yankees.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Tavish » Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:01 pm

acsguitar wrote:It seems to me at least spending money = Greed in a lot of people's eyes when the truth is that Stein doesn't make tons of money off the Yankees.

If Steinbrenner spends $200 million and makes $5 million a year off of the Yankees and Glass spends $40 million makes $5 million a year off the Royals, George has more passion?

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter

Postby Zito is God » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:42 pm

Tavish wrote:
acsguitar wrote:It seems to me at least spending money = Greed in a lot of people's eyes when the truth is that Stein doesn't make tons of money off the Yankees.

If Steinbrenner spends $200 million and makes $5 million a year off of the Yankees and Glass spends $40 million makes $5 million a year off the Royals, George has more passion?

Yes, because both owners had the same amount starting off, and Glass puts the difference in his pocket instead of investing it into the team.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby davidmarver » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:48 pm

Zito is God wrote:
Tavish wrote:

Yes, because both owners had the same amount starting off, and Glass puts the difference in his pocket instead of investing it into the team.

Okay...so then Glass can only equal Steinbrenner as an owner if he invests $200 million in his team, subsequently losing $155 million a season? That's crazy!

A salary cap would only work if it was like the NFL, where all the ticket sales, everything were pooled and then split up evenly; full revenue sharing. I think a better solution would be to move the Devil Rays to New York. As crazy as it sounds and as unwelcome as they'd be, I'm sure it would still grab some fans and it'd help eat up some revenue the Yankees currently make.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby davidmarver » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:57 pm

acsguitar wrote:the truth is that Stein doesn't make tons of money off the Yankees.

HA! :-b

Steinbrenner probably makes more off the Yankees while the salary is at $200 million than any other owner does off his team.

You're forgetting the partnership the Yankees have -- only team who could have gotten such a partnership -- with Manchester United and the subsequent overseas market they get from that. I'm only brushing the surface of extra non-NY revenue Steinbrenner recieves every year.

Go ahead and blame the other owners for being greedy by "pocketing" the money, but you're writing off George's spending sprees as being "passionate", while he's really being greedy in his own way by somewhat purchasing titles, purchasing fan favorites from other ballclubs, and making it near impossible to root for his product if you aren't a born Yankees fan. Do you really think George would be for full-blown revenue sharing? Of course not; and you'd equate that with passion for the Yankees, while in the end it's really self-greed and a lack of passion for baseball itself.

Go ahead and think George is great, but the fans of 29 of 30 teams think otherwise. He's no Mark Cuban. :-t
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Zito is God » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:58 pm

Well, The Drays would need more money innew york because the crowd wouldn't handle all this "we have ready minor leaguers but we don't wanna start the arbitration clock cause we're cheap" crap.

As for the other comment, if both owners have the same amount of money, and one invests more money into his team (while getting roughly the same output) I believe he wants it more. I see your arguement in terms of the owner who invests less losing money, but lets face it, you don't know till you try. Try signing some all stars for big money (that we all know you have) and actually try opening the wallet to get some good players out there instread of worrying about the extra 50 mil for yourself.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Tavish » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:58 pm

Zito is God wrote:
Tavish wrote:

I have no idea how you get both of them starting off the same in the example when George had $205 million to spend and Glass had $45 million. Neither one is touching their personal pocketbook other than to deposit more money.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers