I love it when...... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

I love it when......

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

I love it when......

Postby acsguitar » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:02 pm

...Announcers start talking about payroll when they play the yankees. And they break it down how the Yankees have 4 players that make more then the entire blue jays lineup.

Thats nice. Steinbrenner is not the Richest owner in baseball. And yet everyone complains about how he spends to much money even though its within the rules.

Here's an idea. You wanna win? spend money...you wanna make money and watch your team almost get there ala minnesota twins? don't spend money.

Steinbrenner should be commended for the fact that he loves his team so much and his fans that he wants to bring them the best team everyday.

There are so many people out there that could buy players but don't because they are greedy
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby J35J » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:07 pm

This is a riduculous post......

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 620)

Postby houstonoilers » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:30 pm

the market is a little different in Toronto than in New York
houstonoilers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby whoseyourdaddy12 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:36 pm

Rubber Game Roster
ImageImage
whoseyourdaddy12
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Mission: break the curse of the Chicago Cubs in Rubber Game

Postby CeeLoGreen » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:37 pm

I think the fact the original poster is trying to make is that Steinbrenner is not one of the richest owners in the league, yet he spends the most.

Other owners choose to invest their money in their other ventures (Oil, Real Estate, etc...)

Other owners could easily spend as much as the Yanks, but choose to put that money in their pocket.
Basically I'm complicated.
I have a hard time taking the easy way
I wouldn't call it schizophrenia
But Ill be at least two people today

If that's OK

And I can go on, and on, and on...

But who cares?
CeeLoGreen
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Matthias » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:41 pm

Here's the problem with this argument: noone really respects the guy who solves all of his problems with money.

I've heard a million times that the Yankees just try harder. Do they have longer practices? Do they break down more game film? Do they spend more time in the weight room? Do their scouts spend longer looking at prospects?

Compare it to the Minnesota Twins. They preach fundamentals in the minors. Their players do drills. Their players come up with strong defense. I read an article a couple of years ago talking to a guy who was a Minnesota scout. His first game scouting he was with someone who had been with the organization. In the sixth inning, the player they had come to see was out so the new guy got up to leave. The other guy told him to sit back down. And then said, "We stay for the whole game. We're with the Minnesota Twins."

THAT kind of work people respect. But just busting out a checkbook and saying, "How much?" that isn't work. And it's not possible for most of the teams and cities. Most teams claim poverty and then tell their fan base if they don't get a sweeter deal (new stadium, new renovation, more of a tax break) that they're going to have to move to a larger city. So the guy who just says, "Money? Hah!" ... he doesn't get respect. He gets despised.

Sorry. That's just the truth of it.

And incidentally, I'm always amused at how proud Yankees fans are of George Steinbrenner spending his money. Do you guys do Yankees fundraisers? Do you send George your own money? Do you all agree to pay 0.05% of Derek Jeter's contract? Just asking.
Last edited by Matthias on Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Tavish » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:42 pm

CeeLoGreen wrote:Other owners could easily spend as much as the Yanks, but choose to put that money in their pocket.

Steinbrenner could choose to spend more and still put money in his pocket. I'm happy he spends the money, but I just can't help but laugh when Yankee fans act like George is going broke trying to win championships for New York while all the other owners feed off him.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 70)

Postby nolanwood » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:42 pm

I'd say the other owner's do this because you should be able to field a winning team with half the Yankee's payroll.
nolanwood
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby blankman » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:42 pm

whoseyourdaddy12 wrote:Image

written by Jim Caple, a huge Red Sox fan ;-)
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Zito is God » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:45 pm

I'm proud that George has that much passion for the game, passion to win, and puts forth his entire efforts and money into baseball compared to other owners who sit around with their money and invest in stock options or just keep it while their team is dying for a good #3 pitcher.

The Yankees do not have different practices, or harder workouts, the Yankee ownership has the drive to win that exceeds all others and spends money to bring proven talent that others selfishly don't sign to the team to win.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers