Royals, No. 1 pick Luke Hochevar agree to terms - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Royals, No. 1 pick Luke Hochevar agree to terms

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby NatsFan10 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:49 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:Because he can't possibly hold out a second time and Andrew Miller was asking a fortune.

Why couldn't he? It's not like it hasn't happened before. And now that we have seen that it wasn't a signability pick since Miller only received 100K more than Hochevar, your point is moot. Like it or not, the Royals picked Hochevar because they liked him more.

I agree Hochevar's size is nice, his delivery is smooth and he has good makeup. But what I've been reading told me that he only has 2 plus-plus pitches. But we can argue this all we want but until he gets higher in the ladder we don't know for sure. Miller's velocity was down, but he has pitched a whole season and it's completely understandable to slow down somewhat. Would you pass on Justin Verlander in your league because he has tired arms in the past(and probably still has it now)?

1. Not sure where you are getting your info, but Hochevar has 3 plus pitches and throws 4 for strikes. The main knock on him is that he doesn't have any plus plus pitches, therefore no true out pitch, similar to little Weaver.

2. So you KNOW that Miller's drop in velocity was just due to a "tired arm"? Why didn't it happen to other top prospects that had pitched all year? Even if it was simply due to a "tired arm", it's a huge concern that his velocity dips that much after only a fair amount of innings. Will this happen to him every year?

The only reason Hochevar MIGHT be up first is that he is on the 40 man roster already and that the Giants are working Lincecum slowly(50 pitch pitch-count is what I heard last start) because of the college season. Hochevar will start at Burlington. Lincecum conquered low A Salem-Keizer already and is in high A San Jose already, though he struggled his first start, he still has great peripheral and is still striking people out. I can see him up THIS YEAR. Or at least get to AAA.

Lincecum is going to get shut down any day now, so I find it hard to believe that he will be in San Fran this year, ESPECIALLY if they are holding out hope that he will stay a starter. Also, I think it's a bit presumptuous to say he "conquered" low A when he only pitched 4 innings.

Hochevar will be up first because he's simply more polished and a better overall "pitcher" than Lincecum is. Lincecum probably has better stuff, but he's more of a thrower and there are still many question marks with him (small size, awkward delivery, shaky command).

I hope everything work out and he and Greinke are our #1-2 punch. But I'd much rather have Miller instead. And the "signability" pick in Hochevar didn't end up saving us any money.

That's fine, maybe in a few years you'll realize what you have in Hochevar. And again, you're the one saying he's a signability pick, it's obvious now that the Royals picked him because they liked him more, not because he would be cheaper to sign.
NatsFan10
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby PlayingWithFire » Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:19 pm

avatar bet? If you feel so strongly that Hochevar will be up first.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Minor League & College Baseball