Royals, No. 1 pick Luke Hochevar agree to terms - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Royals, No. 1 pick Luke Hochevar agree to terms

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Royals, No. 1 pick Luke Hochevar agree to terms

Postby Dannomyte » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:08 pm

KANSAS CITY -- The Kansas City Royals have agreed to terms on a four-year Major League contract (through 2009) with Luke Hochevar, the No. 1 overall pick from the 2006 June Free Agent Draft, Royals Senior Director-Scouting Deric Ladnier announced today.

Hochevar will sign the contract on Saturday, Aug. 5 and be placed on the Royals 40-man roster. He is only the fourth No. 1 overall pick in the last 20 years to sign a Major League contract, joining Delmon Young (2003), Pat Burrell (1998) and Alex Rodriguez (1993). Hochevar signed his contract quicker than three of the last four No. 1 overall picks. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/pres ... sp&c_id=kc
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby PlayingWithFire » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:53 pm

yeah, yeah, yeah, let's see what he can do. I'm not happy with the pick until he show me something.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby FalcoAtL » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:52 pm

What does he project as over his career? Is he more a No. 1 or No. 2 guy?
FalcoAtL
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby NatsFan10 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:25 pm

I really don't think he would have been taken at the #1 overall spot if the Royals didn't project him to be a top of the rotation starter someday.

I really like Hochevar and I thought it was a smart move by KC to take him over the hype machine known as Andrew Miller. KC was going to have all the leverage in negotiations because Hooch wouldn't want to sit out another year, so it was a fairly calculated decision.

Talent wise, I truly think he can fly through the minors and become a #1 guy within a couple years. He works in the low to mid 90's, but reportedly touched 97, 98 during his games with Fort Worth. He has great size, solid mechanics, has 3 plus pitches and throws 4 for strikes. He was reported to have plus makeup heading into the 05 draft, and unlike others I don't think his holdout negates that....it was just business.

Will be interesting to see where BA ranks him next year after a short stint in the minors and a possible AFL run.
NatsFan10
College Coach
College Coach

Postby hybrid » Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:36 am

I think he profiles more as a #2 type pitcher, I agree he has 2 plus pitches but I guestion the others at this point. If they signed him for the same as Pelfrey then it's a pretty good deal, though after the hold out and the extra year I think he should of cost a bit less.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby NatsFan10 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:59 am

Well, again, I don't think KC would have taken him #1 overall if they didn't project him out to be a #1 guy in time. They could have taken the safe choice in Brad Lincoln who projected out to be a very solid #2 or #3 guy, but they went with the more expensive Hochevar and Boras combo for a reason.

I think his overall combination of size, stuff, velocity, mechanics, and makeup gives him the potential to develop into a true ace over the next few years. Obviously we have no idea how the layoff will hurt him, but keep in mind that his total holdout has been just two months longer than Jered Weaver's holdout. My main concern is arm problems like a few of the Rice pitchers had after their layoff.
NatsFan10
College Coach
College Coach

Postby PlayingWithFire » Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:10 pm

NatsFan10 wrote:Well, again, I don't think KC would have taken him #1 overall if they didn't project him out to be a #1 guy in time. They could have taken the safe choice in Brad Lincoln who projected out to be a very solid #2 or #3 guy, but they went with the more expensive Hochevar and Boras combo for a reason.

You don't think we took him over Andrew Miller for signability(I know, Boras and signability don't go in the same sentence usually)? At least that's the report I heard around here. He has 2 good pitches, but he doesn't have nearly the upside of Andrew Miller, he won't be in the majors sooner than Tim Lincecum and isn't as safe a choice as a Brad Lincoln. Plus holding out for a year is never a good thing. I hate to see those guys getting rewarded(heavily!) for it. I went back and read a couple articles before the draft and Hochevar wasn't even mentioned as a possible #1 pick until very late when it was mentioned as a possibility as a easy(er) signing than Miller. Too bad Dayton Moore wasn't in charge of the draft :-t Boo Muzzy Jackson
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:39 pm

I love the Hocheaver Pick. The guy is awesome. I have seen him pitch live and my buddy played against him. He is a stud pitcher and will get it done.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby NatsFan10 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:14 am

PlayingWithFire wrote:
NatsFan10 wrote:Well, again, I don't think KC would have taken him #1 overall if they didn't project him out to be a #1 guy in time. They could have taken the safe choice in Brad Lincoln who projected out to be a very solid #2 or #3 guy, but they went with the more expensive Hochevar and Boras combo for a reason.

You don't think we took him over Andrew Miller for signability(I know, Boras and signability don't go in the same sentence usually)? At least that's the report I heard around here. He has 2 good pitches, but he doesn't have nearly the upside of Andrew Miller, he won't be in the majors sooner than Tim Lincecum and isn't as safe a choice as a Brad Lincoln. Plus holding out for a year is never a good thing. I hate to see those guys getting rewarded(heavily!) for it. I went back and read a couple articles before the draft and Hochevar wasn't even mentioned as a possible #1 pick until very late when it was mentioned as a possibility as a easy(er) signing than Miller. Too bad Dayton Moore wasn't in charge of the draft :-t Boo Muzzy Jackson

So you seriously think the Royals took Hochevar, who happens to have Scott Boras as an agent, and who happened to sit out the previous season in a contract dispute, for signability reasons?!? Ummm, why?

In addition, I really disagree with your assessment of Hochevar and wonder how much you really know about him. He has 3 plus pitches, throws 4 for strikes, has great size, plus command, plus makeup, extremely polished. When the draft rolled around in June, Miller's velocity had decreased at an alarming rate (he was topping out at high 80's, low 90's, and has completely abandoned his 4 seamer), while Hochevar was topping out at 97, 98 with Fort Worth, which is the highest velocity he's ever had.

I really do like Miller and Hochevar and could see an argument for either player to be the top pitcher in last year's draft, but personally I think Hooch brings more to the table.

I'm not sure where you're getting that Lincecum will be in the majors before Hochevar, I could see that if they moved him to the bullpen and rushed him through. If not, I would be willing to bet a good amount of money that Hochevar gets to the majors first. Assuming he avoids the injury bug, I could see him in KC as early as the AS Break of 07, and as late as Opening Day 08. With his talent and polish, he will fly through the minors a la Jered Weaver.

Furthermore, everyone talks about his layoff and how it will negatively affect him, but i'm not so sure. Detectovision made a great point that the layoff would actually help him by giving his arm much needed rest at a very point important time in his career. Also, many people are forgetting that Hochevar's total holdout was just 2 months longer than Weaver's, and he seemed to do okay after the layoff.

I'm sorry, but sometimes I think people just make up reasons to bash the Royals. IMO, Hochevar was a great pick and shows the organization is serious about improving the talent and avoiding the cheap picks. How you could call him a signability pick or even a bad pick is beyond me.
NatsFan10
College Coach
College Coach

Postby PlayingWithFire » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:03 pm

NatsFan10 wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:

So you seriously think the Royals took Hochevar, who happens to have Scott Boras as an agent, and who happened to sit out the previous season in a contract dispute, for signability reasons?!? Ummm, why?

Because he can't possibly hold out a second time and Andrew Miller was asking a fortune.

In addition, I really disagree with your assessment of Hochevar and wonder how much you really know about him. He has 3 plus pitches, throws 4 for strikes, has great size, plus command, plus makeup, extremely polished. When the draft rolled around in June, Miller's velocity had decreased at an alarming rate (he was topping out at high 80's, low 90's, and has completely abandoned his 4 seamer), while Hochevar was topping out at 97, 98 with Fort Worth, which is the highest velocity he's ever had.

I agree Hochevar's size is nice, his delivery is smooth and he has good makeup. But what I've been reading told me that he only has 2 plus-plus pitches. But we can argue this all we want but until he gets higher in the ladder we don't know for sure. Miller's velocity was down, but he has pitched a whole season and it's completely understandable to slow down somewhat. Would you pass on Justin Verlander in your league because he has tired arms in the past(and probably still has it now)?

I really do like Miller and Hochevar and could see an argument for either player to be the top pitcher in last year's draft, but personally I think Hooch brings more to the table.

I'm not sure where you're getting that Lincecum will be in the majors before Hochevar, I could see that if they moved him to the bullpen and rushed him through. If not, I would be willing to bet a good amount of money that Hochevar gets to the majors first. Assuming he avoids the injury bug, I could see him in KC as early as the AS Break of 07, and as late as Opening Day 08. With his talent and polish, he will fly through the minors a la Jered Weaver.

The only reason Hochevar MIGHT be up first is that he is on the 40 man roster already and that the Giants are working Lincecum slowly(50 pitch pitch-count is what I heard last start) because of the college season. Hochevar will start at Burlington. Lincecum conquered low A Salem-Keizer already and is in high A San Jose already, though he struggled his first start, he still has great peripheral and is still striking people out. I can see him up THIS YEAR. Or at least get to AAA.

Furthermore, everyone talks about his layoff and how it will negatively affect him, but i'm not so sure. Detectovision made a great point that the layoff would actually help him by giving his arm much needed rest at a very point important time in his career. Also, many people are forgetting that Hochevar's total holdout was just 2 months longer than Weaver's, and he seemed to do okay after the layoff.

I'm sorry, but sometimes I think people just make up reasons to bash the Royals. IMO, Hochevar was a great pick and shows the organization is serious about improving the talent and avoiding the cheap picks. How you could call him a signability pick or even a bad pick is beyond me.

I hope everything work out and he and Greinke are our #1-2 punch. But I'd much rather have Miller instead. And the "signability" pick in Hochevar didn't end up saving us any money.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Minor League & College Baseball