1992 MLB Amatuer Draft...This is good. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

1992 MLB Amatuer Draft...This is good.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

1992 MLB Amatuer Draft...This is good.

Postby BTOWNHESS » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:56 pm

First 6 picks. Can you imagine Jeter trolling Minute Maid? Or if he would have been drafted by the freakin Expos? lol

1. Astros Phil Nevin 3B Cal State Fullerton

2. Indians Paul Shuey RHP University of North Carolina

3. Expos Billy Wallace LHP Mississippi State University

4. Orioles Jeffrey Hammonds OF Stanford University

5. Reds Chad Mottola OF University of Central Florida

6. Yankees Derek Jeter SS Kalamazzo, MI
BTOWNHESS
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby joshheines » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:20 pm

That's supposed to be good? The same year Damon was drafted #38. The year before Manny was #13. Pujols was drafted #402 in 1999. Piazza went #1390 in 1988. Hafner went #923 in 1996. Jeter going #6 is no big friggin deal.
It's easy, fun, and 100% safe!
joshheines
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Amazing Oopah » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:23 pm

joshheines wrote:That's supposed to be good? The same year Damon was drafted #38. The year before Manny was #13. Pujols was drafted #402 in 1999. Piazza went #1390 in 1988. Hafner went #923 in 1996. Jeter going #6 is no big friggin deal.

I don't think he was referring about Jeter's overall draft position, more so what if he had been taken by another team and how his career might have turned out differently.
Amazing Oopah
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 4)

Postby teddy ballgame » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:28 pm

My English teacher's husband was drafted before Mike Stanton, Steve Finley, and David Segui. :-?
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby teddy ballgame » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:29 pm

Amazing Oopah wrote:
joshheines wrote:That's supposed to be good? The same year Damon was drafted #38. The year before Manny was #13. Pujols was drafted #402 in 1999. Piazza went #1390 in 1988. Hafner went #923 in 1996. Jeter going #6 is no big friggin deal.

I don't think he was referring about Jeter's overall draft position, more so what if he had been taken by another team and how his career might have turned out differently.

That's true for just about everyone so I don't really get this.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Amazing Oopah » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:31 pm

teddy ballgame wrote:
Amazing Oopah wrote:

That's true for just about everyone so I don't really get this.

I agree; I don't get the gist of this thread applied to Jeter specifically .

Though I gues an overall 'what if so-and-so had drafted so-and-so' might be an interesting thread ;-D
Amazing Oopah
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Zito is God » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:41 pm

I have learned that unlike all other sports, the MLB draft predicts nothing. At least 50% of 1st round picks bust, and the 1st overall pick tends to be a mediocre player who ends up being a journeyman in the majors most of the time. Pujols, Bay, Piazza, etc. all prove this theory.

I believe this concept happens because in baseball there are so many levels you go through before getting to the majors that everyone adapts differently and thus late round nobodies can become stars while in the NBA, NFL, etc. you start off in the "majors" and your current talent is immediately thrust forth into that level of a league.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby tianyi86 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:14 pm

For NBA and NFL, the players that are drafted are usually top performers in college with reliable records.

As far as I know (if im wrong, tell me pls) for baseballs amateur draft, most players are 18 or 19 or 20 year olds whose track record isnt really proven and there isnt any concrete data.
tianyi86
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby tinfoilxtouch » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:35 pm

It's pretty simple. The NFL and NBA are more about raw talent. MLB is more about nuance. It’s easy to find a guy who throws 95mph, but it’s a lot see if a guy knows how to work the count. In other sports, the things that make most players great are more easily evaluated.
tinfoilxtouch
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby teddyballgamemvp » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:36 pm

Zito is God wrote:I have learned that unlike all other sports, the MLB draft predicts nothing. At least 50% of 1st round picks bust, and the 1st overall pick tends to be a mediocre player who ends up being a journeyman in the majors most of the time. Pujols, Bay, Piazza, etc. all prove this theory.

I believe this concept happens because in baseball there are so many levels you go through before getting to the majors that everyone adapts differently and thus late round nobodies can become stars while in the NBA, NFL, etc. you start off in the "majors" and your current talent is immediately thrust forth into that level of a league.

It's the reason no one really gives a disguised curses still count about the major league draft. Baseball can't turn it into the "event" it is in the NBA and NFL even though it wants to. I'll take it further, not only can you barely project success based on the draft, but even prospect lists are more hit-or-miss than you'd imagine.

2001 Top 40
Baseball America: no Pujols
Baseball Prospectus: no Soriano, Beckett

2002 Top 40
Baseball America: no Carl Crawford, Peavy
Baseball Prospectus: no Miguel Cabrera

2003 Top 40
Baseball America: no Hafner, Jose Reyes, Victor Martinez, Mauer
Baseball Prospectus: no Kazmir, Bonderman

These are Top 40 only, not that they were unranked.
Chris Iannetta was born on Krypton and transported to Earth as an infant and saves the universe when he's not getting on base every plate appearance.
teddyballgamemvp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers