Chen-Mieng Wang (Merged) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Chen-Mieng Wang (Merged)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby rib217 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:02 pm

Out of curiousity does anyone have stats that would show how much run support the Yankees are giving to Wang? I have not been all that impressed with the guy and would be curious how much Support he is getting from that amazing lineup? For that matter i would be curious how much run support on AVG the Yankees give to all their pitchers compared to some others. It seems especially as of late that the Bronx Bombers have been producing tons of runs.
rib217
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 20)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Big Stick » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:23 pm

rib217 wrote:Out of curiousity does anyone have stats that would show how much run support the Yankees are giving to Wang? I have not been all that impressed with the guy and would be curious how much Support he is getting from that amazing lineup? For that matter i would be curious how much run support on AVG the Yankees give to all their pitchers compared to some others. It seems especially as of late that the Bronx Bombers have been producing tons of runs.

Run support is not the question here. Either way, his ERA is 3.82 WHIP 1.30 that is above average. I know the next question will be if he was not pitching for the Yankees blah blah.....sometimes, lets give players some credit. I am not saying this guys is great but he is well above average.
Signature by: RedWoodTree824
Minor League Mentor

Postby gfantasy » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:27 pm

The Big Stick wrote:
rib217 wrote:Out of curiousity does anyone have stats that would show how much run support the Yankees are giving to Wang? I have not been all that impressed with the guy and would be curious how much Support he is getting from that amazing lineup? For that matter i would be curious how much run support on AVG the Yankees give to all their pitchers compared to some others. It seems especially as of late that the Bronx Bombers have been producing tons of runs.

Run support is not the question here. Either way, his ERA is 3.82 WHIP 1.30 that is above average. I know the next question will be if he was not pitching for the Yankees blah blah.....sometimes, lets give players some credit. I am not saying this guys is great but he is well above average.

I agree. He is an above average pitcher (esp how deep he goes into games). However, he is NOT an ace.
gfantasy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Web Supporter

Postby dyuen87 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:32 pm

Wang is one of those guys that have more value in real life than in fantasy. Fantasy-wise his lack of K's keeps him from being an ace. He can get you the quality start and the W, but no K's. In real life K's dont really matter. He keeps his pitch count down, throws a fast game, and goes deep into games giving the bullpen rest.

While he's not an ace, fantasy or reality, he can grow into one for the Yankees. He's gotten better from last year and even shows signs of improvement as this year goes on. I expect him to continue that next year.
dyuen87
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby gfantasy » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:37 pm

ahh wishful Yankee fans. Remember you guys used to make fun of us Met fans for being hopeful?
gfantasy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Web Supporter

Postby rib217 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:58 pm

The Big Stick wrote:

As i said in my post...OUT OF CURIOSITY...what those stats were. As i also asked what run support they were giving the rest of the staff. I am a Yankees fan and have been dating back to the 80's, although i would have to say Wang is not all that impressive to me.
rib217
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 20)

Postby Red Sox Nation » Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:33 pm

Nice scouting report. I too agree. If he can get that third pitch in he can strike out some people. Perhaps he should learn what Johan or Sheets does for striking out people. Basically he's a Brandon Webb (or Derek Lowe) with less Ks in the AL.

He could be the ace but what about the Yankees prospect. Phillip Hughes or whatever his name is. He's supposed to be "untouchable".

With Randy Johnson and Mussina getting old, the Yankees are in big trouble for pitching. I'm sure they can get someone in the offseason but their farm system won't produce a lot of good players. They'll have to rely on free agents or trades to help their rotation.

Nice report.
[url=http://omgitspeter.googlepages.com/home]My Graphics[/url]

Red Sox Nation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby davidmarver » Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:48 pm

rib217 wrote:
The Big Stick wrote:

As i said in my post...OUT OF CURIOSITY...what those stats were. As i also asked what run support they were giving the rest of the staff. I am a Yankees fan and have been dating back to the 80's, although i would have to say Wang is not all that impressive to me.

Wang's run support is over 6 (6.19), however it is lower than RJs. That said, I don't see how someone with a K/9 of under 1.5 can ever become an ace. No one's ever had prolonged success in the modern era with a K/9 ratio close to that, unless it's a player with 200 Ks and 100 walks. It's a lot easier to gain control than it is to gain stuff -- strikeout ability. Wang will be a nice 3 for a few years to come, but if I'm the Yanks, I'm still looking for pitching.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby BritSox » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:36 am

Red Sox Nation wrote:Nice scouting report. I too agree. If he can get that third pitch in he can strike out some people. Perhaps he should learn what Johan or Sheets does for striking out people. Basically he's a Brandon Webb (or Derek Lowe) with less Ks in the AL.

He could be the ace but what about the Yankees prospect. Phillip Hughes or whatever his name is. He's supposed to be "untouchable".

With Randy Johnson and Mussina getting old, the Yankees are in big trouble for pitching. I'm sure they can get someone in the offseason but their farm system won't produce a lot of good players. They'll have to rely on free agents or trades to help their rotation.

Nice report.

How big trouble? They've developed Wang, they've got Hughes coming, and it's not like they won't have the money to replace RJ and Moose when they go.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby in10s » Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:05 pm

davidmarver wrote:... I don't see how someone with a K/9 of under 1.5 can ever become an ace. No one's ever had prolonged success in the modern era with a K/9 ratio close to that,

I have no clue if Wang (who is 26) will develop more and become an ACE. But where did you get the K/9 under 1.5?

2006: 3.00
2005: 3.64 with Yanks, 5.56 in AAA
2004: 7.81 in AAA, 7.43 in AA

He doesn't strike out a lot, but he does get a few.
in10s
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers