Chen-Mieng Wang (Merged) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Chen-Mieng Wang (Merged)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: A quick Chien-Ming Wang review.....

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:47 am

J35J wrote:Right Handed Pitcher
Height/Weight 6'3/210
B-Day 3/31/80

Minor League Career
3.35 ERA
1.22 WHIP
7.06 K/9
2.04 BB/9

92-96 mph fastball/sinker
87-90 mph slider

Chien is pretty much a 1 pitch pitcher the first couple times through the order, which is fine since he uses an above average sinker that usually sits in the mid 90's. The problem with this, at least for fantasy owners, is that he won't strike many guys out because they know what is coming. The good thing for Wang is most guys can only take that pitch and drill it straight into the ground. Once he gets to the third time through the order he will mix in an average slider which keeps guys off balance. If Wang can come up with a good off-speed pitch (curve/change) he could be a legit ace, but since he is primarily a 1 pitch pitcher he is more like a #2-3 type guy.


Jason


It came right from there.
Image
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 24818
(Past Year: 326)
Joined: 3 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Crowding The Plate

Re: A quick Chien-Ming Wang review.....

Postby The Big Stick » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:11 am

bigh0rt wrote:
J35J wrote:Right Handed Pitcher
Height/Weight 6'3/210
B-Day 3/31/80

Minor League Career
3.35 ERA
1.22 WHIP
7.06 K/9
2.04 BB/9

92-96 mph fastball/sinker
87-90 mph slider

Chien is pretty much a 1 pitch pitcher the first couple times through the order, which is fine since he uses an above average sinker that usually sits in the mid 90's. The problem with this, at least for fantasy owners, is that he won't strike many guys out because they know what is coming. The good thing for Wang is most guys can only take that pitch and drill it straight into the ground. Once he gets to the third time through the order he will mix in an average slider which keeps guys off balance. If Wang can come up with a good off-speed pitch (curve/change) he could be a legit ace, but since he is primarily a 1 pitch pitcher he is more like a #2-3 type guy.


Jason


It came right from there.


DID YOU PUT YOUR

Image

LOL ;-)
Image
Signature by: RedWoodTree824
______________
"Major League Baseball's most storied franchise, winning 26 World Series titles in 39 appearances"!
The Big Stick
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 593
Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: At The Stadium With The Bleacher Creatures.

Postby J35J » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:17 am

Nah nah nah, I just gave an opinion on IF he could come up with another pitch or two that his stuff is good enough to become a legit ace.

Then you said "I'm not sure if anyone has ever call Wang an ACE pitcher" ...... and no one has called him one, I pointed out what he could be with a few "IFs" thrown in there.

And then you said... "If you have Wang as your ACE you have some serious pitching problems" What does this have to do with anything? My opinion of him was a #2-3 type starter...

.... No worries, a little miscommunication is all!

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 10467
(Past Year: 363)
Joined: 26 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Big Stick » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:20 am

;-D just having some fun man.... ;-)
Image
Signature by: RedWoodTree824
______________
"Major League Baseball's most storied franchise, winning 26 World Series titles in 39 appearances"!
The Big Stick
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 593
Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: At The Stadium With The Bleacher Creatures.

Postby J35J » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:27 am

.... like I said, No worries.

;-D


Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 10467
(Past Year: 363)
Joined: 26 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thedude » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:09 pm

Nice scouting report.

However i think you have overestimated his stuff some. His slider is in the mid to upper 70's. It is his sinker that is 86-89 MPH.

If Wang had a slider that fast you would see more Strikeouts (as is typical of a power pitcher with a high 80's slider).

I agree with you assesment of Wang and think he could be a successful number 2-3 pitcher for years to come.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 8413
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 18 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Good Life

Postby J35J » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:48 pm

thedude wrote:Nice scouting report.

However i think you have overestimated his stuff some. His slider is in the mid to upper 70's. It is his sinker that is 86-89 MPH.

If Wang had a slider that fast you would see more Strikeouts (as is typical of a power pitcher with a high 80's slider).

I agree with you assesment of Wang and think he could be a successful number 2-3 pitcher for years to come.



I only report what I see as fact, or what the radar gun tells me as fact. He sat consistantly at 94 with his sinker and his slider was consistantly at 88-89 mph his last outing against KC. No overrating here, unless of course the radar gun was way off! ;-7

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 10467
(Past Year: 363)
Joined: 26 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby gfantasy » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:51 pm

The Big Stick wrote:I'm not sure if anyone has ever call Wang an ACE pitcher. Having said that I agree with your analysis. The flip side to the strikeouts, is the fact that he doesn't hardly walk a batter, thus that balances the K's. His WHIP and ERA will not hurt you either.
If you have Wang as your ACE you have some serious pitching problems.



Agreed. Having Wang lead your staff wouldnt lead you very far.
gfantasy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Web Supporter
Posts: 1447
Joined: 18 Aug 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: NYC/Phila

Postby J35J » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:53 pm

gfantasy wrote:
The Big Stick wrote:I'm not sure if anyone has ever call Wang an ACE pitcher. Having said that I agree with your analysis. The flip side to the strikeouts, is the fact that he doesn't hardly walk a batter, thus that balances the K's. His WHIP and ERA will not hurt you either.
If you have Wang as your ACE you have some serious pitching problems.



Agreed. Having Wang lead your staff wouldnt lead you very far.


Come on guys, read the whole thread then comment.......


No one is saying Wang should lead any staff, nor is anyone saying that right now Wang is a #1..... :-°


Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 10467
(Past Year: 363)
Joined: 26 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby giants! » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:26 pm

thedude wrote:Nice scouting report.

However i think you have overestimated his stuff some. His slider is in the mid to upper 70's. It is his sinker that is 86-89 MPH.

If Wang had a slider that fast you would see more Strikeouts (as is typical of a power pitcher with a high 80's slider).

I agree with you assesment of Wang and think he could be a successful number 2-3 pitcher for years to come.


I don't know how much you have seen of Wang, but his sinker is consistnatly in the mid 90's. Unless the radar gun has been way off every start this year. your assesment of his speed is pretty far off. His slider is also in the mid to upper 80's, not in the upper 70's
Image
giants!
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2982
Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 9 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact