Chen-Mieng Wang (Merged) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Chen-Mieng Wang (Merged)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby TonyCee » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:53 pm

TB13 wrote:
DK wrote:Just looked back at the numbers... He's only K'ing 2.77/9 innings. I have never heard of a pitcher in this era who could last with a K rate that low.

I like Wang, he seems like a cool guy and his composure on the mound is great. 8 scoreless last night didn't hurt. But unless he's the greatest ground-ball pitcher of all time I don't see him keeping this up.

I don't quite know about being the greatest ground-ball pitcher of all time, BUT he is a ground ball machine. He is reminding me of a very good Hampton, when all he did was induce grounders. I understand the concern about the lack of K's, but unless his grounder-to-fly ball ration drastically changes (and for the last two years it has given no indication of that), he could be a very usefull pitcher, providing the rest of your staff can cover up for the lack of K's.

Word. Fantasy or not, I agree. ;-D
TonyCee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:56 pm

His K rate is low, but at least this year all the other results are really helping out my fantasy team big-time. I also think he's underrated. Sure, maybe he can't keep it up forever, but why nitpick about a guy with a 13-4 record and ERA in the mid-3's? Last I checked, wins and ERA still carry a ton of value in my two 12-team leagues.

I love it when people miss the boat on guys like Wang because they pick on a flaw. Adam Dunn never hits for average, but that doesn't mean you shy away from him on draft day, right? So, Wang doesn't k people. Big deal.
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Postby DK » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:01 pm

BillyHallDisciple wrote:His K rate is low, but at least this year all the other results are really helping out my fantasy team big-time. I also think he's underrated. Sure, maybe he can't keep it up forever, but why nitpick about a guy with a 13-4 record and ERA in the mid-3's? Last I checked, wins and ERA still carry a ton of value in my two 12-team leagues.

I love it when people miss the boat on guys like Wang because they pick on a flaw. Adam Dunn never hits for average, but that doesn't mean you shy away from him on draft day, right? So, Wang doesn't k people. Big deal.

That's not what I mean at all. Wang's value this year has been very good - there's no denying that whatsoever. I'm talking about his value in the future. There has never - in the modern era of baseball - been a pitcher with a K rate this low who has been able to continue his success. Period. The comparison to Dunn is illogical, because players can succeed with an average of .260 - it's about average. The difference would be if Dunn only batted .190 - that's about the equivalent of Wang's K rate.

I like Wang and I hope he succeeds but at this rate, like I said earlier, he's treading in thin ice for the future.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Amazinz » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:03 pm

DK wrote:I'm trying to find a pitcher who succeeded with a K rate less than three. There aren't any. Somebody help me find one.

OK I'm bored as hell and it's too freakin' hot to go outside so I think I found one and he's in the Hall of Fame. :-D

Pud "The Little Steam Engine" Galvin

IP 6000+ K/9 ~2.7 W 364
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby DK » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:05 pm

Amazinz wrote:
DK wrote:I'm trying to find a pitcher who succeeded with a K rate less than three. There aren't any. Somebody help me find one.

OK I'm bored as hell and it's too freakin' hot to go outside so I think I found one and he's in the Hall of Fame. :-D

Pud "The Little Steam Engine" Galvin

IP 6000+ K/9 ~2.7 W 364

Nice try but without even looking I know Pud Galvin is far from the modern era. ;-)
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Amazinz » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:07 pm

Too picky. This is hard enough without throwing crazy stipulations out there like "modern era". B-)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby tianyi86 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:30 pm

Personally, I think Wang has a good future and his K rate will be up once he get more experience. His fastball is consistently above 90. The 3 games I watched him live, he was hitting 93+ half the time on his fastballs. The only reason hes not striking out much is that hes not exactly trying to K. He enjoys his success as a groundball pitcher and throws his pitches out there so you can hit it to jeter, arod, and cano.

If wang is a flyball pitcher then I would be worried about his low k rates.
tianyi86
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby blankman » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:38 pm

He's economical, allowing him to go deep into games without even throwing 115 pitches and almost everything is a ground ball. He rarely walks guys and when someone does get on, he often gets that double play grounder.

He's dominant at home, but he needs to work on pitching on the road. I'm not sure what the reasoning is for his stark contrast in splits.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby blankman » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:43 pm

tianyi86 wrote:Personally, I think Wang has a good future and his K rate will be up once he get more experience. His fastball is consistently above 90. The 3 games I watched him live, he was hitting 93+ half the time on his fastballs. The only reason hes not striking out much is that hes not exactly trying to K. He enjoys his success as a groundball pitcher and throws his pitches out there so you can hit it to jeter, arod, and cano.

His fastball is often as high as 97.

He's a bit like Mariano. From what I can remember, Wang had godd K numbers in the minors, as did Mo when he was younger. But his sinker ball is so good that he can throw fewer pitches by letting hitters get themselves out.

I just checked those numbers and his minor league K rates are:

5.56 K/9

If he can be this effective and economical with his sinker, why bother throwing more pitches to try to strike people out?
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby acsguitar » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:52 pm

I love wang!! ;-D
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert